TAMIYA corsair. WOW

misha71

is anyone besides me going to take a "wait and see" posture and foregoing the birdcage while waiting for the -1A and -1D to be released?

I'll pass on the kit for now in hopes that the -1A and -1D versions won't be too far behind....

Yep, and me thinks we're not unique in this Tim :popcorn:

... Tim ...

I'm definately on the wait and see list ... I want one - with British markings for the FAA, not US (I can get these AM, I know) ... I was going to invest in a Trumpeter one a while ago until I learned from reviews that it was a bit messy ... but more importantly I have a couple of orders to get done with PCM 1st in the LSP department ... then some others OS, besides ... and some more 1/35 Dragon armour :D ... yep. it will be a while!!

Rog

I'm hoping Tamiya will do the 1D as the bird cage just doesnt do it for me. I've really got my sights on doing a late pacific war kamikaze chaser. I have the Trumpy F4U-4 and it looks OK in the box - nothing on the level of Tamiya though.

I'm sure Tamiya will do the -1A and/or -1D, like they did with the 1/48 kit. The changes are pretty minimal and they have too much money invested in the molds to just make a -1 and call it a day.

I'd be very surprised if they did a -4 or other late versions, though.

Edited by Dave Williams

I'm hoping Tamiya will do the 1D as the bird cage just doesnt do it for me. I've really got my sights on doing a late pacific war kamikaze chaser. I have the Trumpy F4U-4 and it looks OK in the box - nothing on the level of Tamiya though.

Apparently everyone who's made one has SOMETHING wrong with it ... either cowl or cockpit or landing gear ... Revell, Trumpeter or 21st Century ... I've looked at a few build threads on various marques ... I will wait until I see similar for the Tamiya ... I want a FAA job, so the birdcage would do fine ... just don't want a lot of of dramas or AM in the build though.

Rog :)

Picked my first one up yesterday.

What a beautiful example of the art of model making.

A lot more in the kit than i was expecting.

Two sets of rear glass one for canopy open one closed etc.

Typical of he recent gen Tamiya 32nd stuff.

Oh the box is packed.

Think this one will be a great platform for some amazing weathering of Guadalcanal Marine birds.

I think you are reasonably safe to assume that Tamiya will be better than those 3 kits Rog.

... agreed ... everyone who has built a Tamiya kit has raved about accuracy, fit and finish (along with inovative little knick-knacks they use) ...

... someday ... :D

Rog

Posted this on ARC, but figured I'd thow it up here as well, since others don't frequent there...

Well, just came back from my LHS with this kit in tow. Spent an hour or so pouring over it. Here are some of my impressions:

Observation 1: Holy Fark!!!
Observation 2: See observation 1.

Things I’ve already noticed:

- A case of three steps forward and two steps back? Wings (as we already knew) have to be built folded or open, no option to change afterwards. Turns out the same is true for landing gear and control surfaces… build them up or down, no option to change afterwards. Good? Bad? I don’t know, but options are always welcome in my opinion.

- This release (for export market) includes clear cowl parts to "show off" the engine... Instruction insert tells you to spray a "heavy coat" of clear to help make parts more transparent. Nice option, I suppose, but I'll stick with removeable cowl bits.

- Unlike the last two kits, this one uses NO magnets anywhere. I find this a step backwards as they could have easily been employed for cowling parts, tailwheel up/down assemblies, and landing gear closed doors.

- Easter eggs: On photo etch sets, they include a Sutton seat harness; so this coupled with the seperate wing tip option to have clipped wings (not included in this kit) show their “intention” to do a British FAA Corsair of some mark or other. Also, as also seen in the Mustang kit, the end rocket plates for 5” HVARs (8 of) and Tiny Tim rockets (2 of) are included on PE sheet 'b'. Lets see if they actually follow through with any of these this time.

I’m sure others will pick up on more, but that’s what I see initially. Surface detail is amazing, but in dire danger of being hidden under a coat of paint.… Mist on thin smooth coats to preserve.

Marc. B.

Edited by modelmkr

With the ultra high quality of next gen 32nd Tamiya kits and my love of the corsair in general, Im having a tough time holding off......................but the price tags of previously mentioned said kits (as well as other 32nd kits on deck first to purchase) , is making me hold off until they release the inevitable Mk II/-1a.

One particularly unusual early Corsair kill was scored by Marine Lieutenant R. R. Klingman of VMF-312 (the "Checkerboards"), over Okinawa. Klingman was in pursuit of a Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu ("Nick") twin-engine fighter at extremely high altitude when his guns jammed due to the gun lubrication thickening from the extreme cold. He flew up and chopped off the Ki-45's tail with the big propeller of the Corsair. Despite missing five inches (127 mm) off the end of his propeller blades, he managed to land safely after this aerial ramming attack. He was awarded the Navy Cross.

I think Id definitely by a FAA bird along with a -1a.

Cant WAIT to see how many variants Tamiya-San squeezes out of this one!

Something no one with the kit has mentioned.

It is one of the most complex builds ive seen.

The quality involved in the components and there are lots of them in the deployed flap and wingfold option must be seen.

I can easily see why there are no options in this one or magnets the engineering in the complexity of showing faithfully the flap and wing of the Corsair is truly gorgeous.

No kit has got within a country mile of this level of sophisticated tooling to really show how a Corsair works.

Gun bays will be difficult to install with the spar to consider.

This kit is every bit as good and maybe better than the Spit and P-51 but for different reasons.

However the flap and wingfold are true engineering works of art and the box is totally packed with plastic.

124 steps to completion gives you some idea how complex it is.

This aint no shake and bake by a long way...