Just noticed something today (or how rivets SHOULD look IMHO)

eoyguy

I was messing around with my "Frankenspit" (combining the Hobby Boss engraved fuselage from the Mk Vb with the engraved wing of the R/M Mk I/II kit) when something struck me. The engraved wing of the Revell hybrid kit actually has many of the rivets as embossed circles. Not deep divots. Not shallow divots. But actual tiny round circles. To me, this is how any company should represent flush rivets. Considering its on a wing of a kit produced what, over 10 years ago(?), why any of the current big names couldn't follow suit is beyond me. I think if you compared these rivets to what Tamiya did on their uber Spitfire kits, these would look much more like the real thing. Even for raised rivets, something flush and round would be preferable to a hole.

Cheers

Jason

I was messing around with my "Frankenspit" (combining the Hobby Boss engraved fuselage from the Mk Vb with the engraved wing of the R/M Mk I/II kit) when something struck me. The engraved wing of the Revell hybrid kit actually has many of the rivets as embossed circles. Not deep divots. Not shallow divots. But actual tiny round circles. To me, this is how any company should represent flush rivets. Considering its on a wing of a kit produced what, over 10 years ago(?), why any of the current big names couldn't follow suit is beyond me. I think if you compared these rivets to what Tamiya did on their uber Spitfire kits, these would look much more like the real thing. Even for raised rivets, something flush and round would be preferable to a hole.

Cheers

Jason

Amen...

The multi-sized jeweler's embossing set will do this. Tedious of course, but a must on some A/C in some areas. Sure would be nice if they were the standard I agree.

Especially if you want to make airplane jewelry :)

For dzus quarter turn fasteners, i have already used a little tube (0.8 or 1mm diameter) i have sharpened with abrasive, and you can put it in a hand chuck and with a twist move you can engrave this kind of pattern. Maybe 0.8 or 1mm is quite too large for rivets, but with a smaller tube it should be possible i think. But this is a very long job if you want to make every rivet or the plane.

I once made an all aluminium model of Miss Britain III, the record breaking Hubert Scott-Paine powerboat and it had to be embossed with all the screwheads which are such a feature of it. Every panel is attached with monel metal screws, through the hollow wooden frame members and with nuts on the inside, about 10,000 of them and of course each has a slot in the top. Yes I did make them. I made a suitable punch , hardened it and sat there pushing it into the litho plate surface, then went back and put the slots in with a tiny chisel I ground up from a jewellers' screwdriver. And, you know....it really didn't take that long. I was amazed and very pleased with the result.

Now, I have the excellent value MDC punches and tried them out on a bit of foiling over an old slot car wing. Looks fantastic, especially after some metal polish, which kind of "homogenises" the whole thing. I shall be using the punched on my 48th scale K5054.

Cheers,

Martin

plus 1 for the MDC tools. it takes longer to tape on guides than to press the rivets in. I use some photo etched saws to get an even pitch. works a treat. I'll put some pics of the Swordfish metal panels in my next build log update. won't be this weekend though, uncles wedding today, big bike ride tomorrow.... Tim

Hasegawa does the same thing on the lower wing of their 109's. These and the ones in your picture appear a little too large for a standard rivet though, I think it would look over-done to have the whole aircraft finished in these.

001_zpscbcabd16.jpg

Hasegawa does the same thing on the lower wing of their 109's. These and the ones in your picture appear a little too large for a standard rivet though, I think it would look over-done to have the whole aircraft finished in these.

001_zpscbcabd16.jpg

True, but considering the age of some of the kits that have used this method, you would think with modern tooling and technology the rivets could be made even smaller and more to scale, surely they could get them down to almost the size of the holes they use now.. And truthfully, the pic I posted blows the rivets up a lot larger than they are to the naked eye. In fact, I had to look twice with my admittedly not perfect vision to see that they weren't "divots". I would at least like to see them try it and see how it looks on a new tool kit.

Edited by eoyguy