A tale of two Phantoms - an odyssey about to begin...

Iain

It's only the 'K' (FG Mk 1 in UK parlance) that had the extended leg - and I think it looks just awesome jacked up and on the bridle ready to launch from HMS Ark Royal - which is what I'm intending for mine.

Not sure what colours to do the 'M' (FGR Mk 2) - suggestions welcomed - but leaning towards grey/green rather than later greys.

Iain

Apologies Iain, didnt want to sound like I was disparaging an AWESOME project! I too like the way the F-4 looks overall and Ks do look cool.

Id love to do a Spay phantom as an in flight display to mitigate the goofy stance of the gear.

Erm, a slight correction here matey!

The engine is a "Spey" as in a river in Scotland.

If its "Spay" then that means its been neutered. :)

I don't think Iain is going to cut the balls off this one.

Or maybe he is?????

Go Iain, Go!

1:48th Hasegawa FG Mk 1 has arrived - thanks to Sean (Mozzy19 on Britmodeller) and that will be a great help.

I've been studying photo's, photo's and more photo's and my current thinking is that the conversions I've seen done to date in 1:32 create too much of a coke bottle shape compared to the original fuselage plan view.

Off out today - but plastic cutting will start tomorrow...

I'm relying on input from you lot though - so don't be shy if you see anything awry - but pleeeeeze keep it all constructive! smile.png

FGR colour schemes - suggestions so far include 2 Sqn and the shark mouthed 41 Sqn with EMI Recce pod - although it means I have to make the EMI pod (any photo's/drawings anyone?). Also quite liking the early 6 Sqn scheme...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

I've been studying photo's, photo's and more photo's and my current thinking is that the conversions I've seen done to date in 1:32 create too much of a coke bottle shape compared to the original fuselage plan view.

I suspect that the intake seperation cut needs to go right back to the flap hinge line to avoid the 'silicone enhanced starlet' look. The Phantom fuselage sat on top of the thru-wing structure so the increase in fuselage width is not a big problem there (photos in Derek's research post a while back illustrate this).

Getting the downward turn on the first five feet or so at the mouth of the intake as in the comparison below from Tommy Thomason's analysis is a more intractable problem without going the Dave Klaus' whole new fuselage route. Tommy's 'Tailhook Topic Drafts' article has some very useful info.http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/spey-powered-phantom-changes.html As I'm sure you're aware - lots of interest in this project Iain!

J79+and+Spey+Fuselage+Comparison.jpg

Derek - the Lightings have proved far more complex than I think these will be - we'll see! The Lightning stuff is still being worked on when I'm in the mood...

As is Connie Bruce - look out for an update soon ;)

I've never been a serial builder I'm afraid - always lot's in progress at once - it's what works for me as it keeps my interests flowing - and occasionally completed stuff gets spat out the end (Skyraider and P-47 recently, P-26 imminent and UHU behind that - also at paint stage on a MiG 23 and have a Typhoon coming together nicely).

As to the Brit Phantoms - it's only plastic/filler and time. My biggest concern at present is creating nice burner cans - need to move some of the motorcycles to get to the lathe methinks...

Hoping that we'll get a thread running like that for the UHU with everyone chipping in for the benefit of all...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Derek - the Lightings have proved far more complex than I think these will be - we'll see!

Iain

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...You'll see all right!

The F-4K/M is a lot more subtle in terms of shape change than people realise; some of the changes are also more complex than at first meets the eye. My research is nearing completion and all that I now have to decide is whether to go vacform or resin?

I shall watch your conversions with a great deal of interest Iain.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

How far off pattern making Derek - should I hold fire?

Iain

No Iain. By all means go ahead - the experience and education to yourself (not to mention sense of pride and achievement) alone will be priceless!

Derek