A tale of two Phantoms - an odyssey about to begin...

Iain

Guest Nigelr32

I am very saddened to hear of Teds death. I have followed his work in magazines, books and the 'net for as long as I can remember.

Will there be a "In memory of Ted Taylor GB" going on here?

Fair play to you Iain for dedicating this one to him..

I am very saddened to hear of Teds death. I have followed his work in magazines, books and the 'net for as long as I can remember.

Will there be a "In memory of Ted Taylor GB" going on here?

Fair play to you Iain for dedicating this one to him..

Actually that would be a great idea - time to build some Matchbox oldies in which Ted was involved.

Hi Iain,

Very nice project... Btw, I don't think anybody already mentioned in this thread that looking at the Revell kit may be a good idea. When I made the masters for the (still to be released) corrected AMS air intakes for the Revell kit, I was puzzled by the dimensions of the kit intake parts. In fact, they look more like Spey ones than J-79 ones... The curvature of the upper middle fuselage is also different (bulkier and squarer on the German kit). If I were you, I'd also have a look at this one! This may possibly ease the job.

Regards

Hi Iain,

Very nice project... Btw, I don't think anybody already mentioned in this thread that looking at the Revell kit may be a good idea. When I made the masters for the (still to be released) corrected AMS air intakes for the Revell kit, I was puzzled by the dimensions of the kit intake parts. In fact, they look more like Spey ones than J-79 ones... The curvature of the upper middle fuselage is also different (bulkier and squarer on the German kit). If I were you, I'd also have a look at this one! This may possibly ease the job.

Regards

I'm glad that it wasn't just me that noticed this then Thierry! :speak_cool:

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get some photo's of the FG Mk 1 at Yeovilton last weekend - but it's *very* badly lit on the museums mock-up of Ark Royals' deck.

They help - but full story not yet told - hoping to get to the FGR Mk 2 I've been offered full access to in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Will post the FG 1 photos when I get a mo tomorrow...

Iain

OK - some images of the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton, Phantom FG Mk 1 taken last Saturday.

Not brilliant images - the airframe is part of the simulated carrier deck display and is *very* poorly lit. Camera set to 1600 ISO but I've still had to do a lot of manipulation to bring out shadows - otherwise they'd just be black holes.

So no awards for photography - but all helping to build a 'picture' (no pun intended!).

Firstly - a nice, large scale, model of the 'Ark' in the museum:

IMG_0303.jpg

Followed by airframe (note this has added lighting etc. as part of it's 'take off' display...):

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Back in a mo...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG