A tale of two Phantoms - an odyssey about to begin...

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Iain

Totally agree with Derek, just wish I had your talent for such projects.

Looking forward to the smell of cut styrene and things to come

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

And bear in mind folks - Lightning stuff has taken ages because of intention to make correction parts available to the public - this is a purely 'for me' pet project and should be a lot quicker/easier!

At present I'm all Phantomed up/inspired - I know from previous experience that if I don't go with it now - I may never do.

Sat on sofa at present surrounded by lots of Phantom stuff - happy zone :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Iain, didn't the 72 matchbox FGR have a recce pod in it? might be useful as a guide to a bigger model? I also recall Sutcliffe did some vacform tanks, but that was 459 years ago, but I don't think there was a recce pod in the set. If you need any references for crew ladders, watch Star Wars, the first film, all the X wing fighter ladders are RAF Phantom ladders. 29 Squadron loaned them a load for filming, so when I visited to measure up for my PP Aeroparts kits, it took my guide an hour to find a front cockpit ladder!

Watching the project with huge enthusiasm. The Spey Phantoms were awesome beasts!

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Hi Tim,

Now that's something I'll have to look out for next time we see Star Wars!

Actually - have spotted the recce pod in the Hasegawa FG Mk 1 - should provide some help if I go that route...

In the mean-time I've started to compare the 1:48 Hasegawa kit with the Tamiya 1:32 kit - and - yes - before anyone rails at me pointing out that this can be frought with danger and there's nothing to say the Hasegawa kit is accurate - I know!! ;)

However - if Hasegawa offered to scale up their kit tomorrow - would anyone object?

Am going through where the Hasegawa kit is in terms of accuracy first - then I'll read across what I can use to the larger build.

IMG_9716.jpg

IMG_9717.jpg

And tomorrow I'll probably make the fin tip RWR section as is should be straightforward and at least means I've started in earnest.

Iain

OK - observation...

Previous conversions have widened the intake section with a parallel insert assuming the outer curve in plan view is the same on the Spey engined birds as those on J-79 powered aircraft.

From what I can see sides of the Spey intakes are a lot flatter in plan than J-79...

Just formulating a plan of attack.

Iain

This is going to be really cool, I can tell already. Still not sure why this variant of the Phantom was never kitted, but maybe someday someone will give us one after you finish this conversion of course.

I'll be watching and reading in on this one as it goes.

Matt :party0023:

As Chek indicated, the tail hook topic thread (http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/spey-powered-phantom-changes.html) is a very good guide to the F-4K/M changes. I have been in quite deep conversation with Tommy Thomson on this subject (as well as Barry Chandler) and I can confirm that the information and data in the topic concerning the differences is the most accurate to date and I would suggest that you use this as the basis for an accurate F-4M conversion.

HTH

Derek

• 2 months later...

With the really sad news of Ted Taylor's passing this week I guess I'd better crack on with these - and dedicate the build to him as we discussed this build several times in the last few years - and Ted kindly acquired the additional F-4J fuselage you see in the image below for this very project.

Ted - if you're looking in - this one's for you mate!

IMG_9716.jpg

Since last post I've been pouring over photos and drawings - and we're visiting the Fleet Air Airm museum in the next couple of weeks so will contact them beforehand and see if I can do some measuring/if they have any additional data. We'll see...

Once plan formulated I'll break out the razor saw - promise!

Iain

Understood - but dsoesn't really do anything for me Ollie :(

(I know - I'm a philistine!)

Royal Navy - Ark Royal is top of the list followed by an early RAF FGR Mk 2 in grey/green - so that's these two builds covered. We'll see where we end up.

In further news I have an invite to clamber all over an FGR Mk 2 in the near future which will help me hugely. :)

Stay tuned...

Iain