Any additional news on the Revell new tool Spitfire (1/32)?? ...

Artful69

I believe we will require a different windscreen for a Mk I. The Mk II had a different windscreen with armour on the inside as oppossed to the outside?

Brad

Edited by Brad-M

I believe we will require a different windscreen for a Mk I. The Mk II had a different windscreen with armour on the inside as oppossed to the outside?

Brad

No

Not till the MK V as far as I remember from my research of the Hobbyboss Spitfire...

The I & II were supposed to have the "Mk.III" windscreen & hood from April, 1941, but it's doubtful it happened; certainly it would need a photo to be sure, since there were Mk.V airframes delivered with the old-style screen.

Edgar

I've been sitting back, lurking and reading comments on both the Spit and the 109, not to mention the new Corsair, the T-6 and the 219 and I'm kinda gobsmaked.... Some of the conversations here are starting to sound like another place I know. On this site, of all sites, we have shown the most tolerance, support and enthusiasm. We tend to be anal yes, but we build large scale cause we love it and often scratch build our detail because you just can't get it... now that we are starting to get flooded with kits we have only dreamed about in past years, people are going off about inaccuracy or 'like we need another *** ' or 'why did they do that instead of'.... Think about the list of kits that have started showing up on the market over the last 5 years... how many times have I heard people wishing for a new Corsair or a Temptest, a MK I spit, and an accurate 109 (whatever mark), a T-6 or any one of various models we dreamed of having in 'our scale'. No one dreamed anyone would do 2 and 4 engined bombers in 1/32 much less have them available for under $70. Now we are getting them and I hear the most incredible things being said... people on this site going off on each other over kits that we've only seen pics of... Come on guys ! we are better than this.

I for one am thrilled that RoG is bringing out so many very reasonably priced kits that are reasonably accurate (the 219 being the exception) and with basic modeling skills can be upgraded to show winners. The reasonable price and good quality/ detail puts them in range of all modelers and bodes well for young, first time modelers. This can only help keep the hobby going.

I love detail and accuracy as much as any of you, my builds on this site (the ONLY site I build on) shows that. Yes, It's frustrating to have a new kit that has issues but it sure as H.E. double hockey sticks beats scratch building the whole model, detailing an old Revel kit from the 60's or doing up a vac kit.

I for one will be getting at least one new Spit and 109 and have a blast building them. For the price, I can get both for the price of one Hasagawa kit. Any faults they have, given my moderate skills, will be easy to straighten out.

Might I suggest we all stop, take a deep breath and remember where we are, who we are talking with and perhaps take a good long look at how blessed we are, not only by our group here, the friends and fellowship we have, but also the wonderful kits we have and whats coming just this year....(gods know what other wonderful news we'll have this time next year).

With respect to all

Vaughn

Right, because we have the 40+ year old Revell kit, and the Revell/Hasegawa hybrid kit thats based on a 30+ year old kit with new(ish) wings.Yeah, because a new tool model of one of the most important aircraft in WWII (and history IMHO) is as over represented as the planes you mention.Seriously?

... you forgot to mention - one of the most popular!!! ... say ANYTHING you want ... but Ohhhhh that shape :wub:

... she will sell ... and make 'em some GOOD money!

... and we ... the people ... shall feast on that awesomeness

now ... where ARE those piccies we're after ... flash us your huge hispano's sweetheart!!! :D

Might I suggest we all stop, take a deep breath and remember where we are, who we are talking with and perhaps take a good long look at how blessed we are, not only by our group here, the friends and fellowship we have, but also the wonderful kits we have and whats coming just this year....(gods know what other wonderful news we'll have this time next year).

With respect to all

Vaughn

Hear, hear!!

I been trying to point this out after my own fashion across a few negative posts I've picked out lately ...

I think it's a case of familliarity breeding contempt!

We have become familliar with release after release of kits ... an abundance of aftermarket also.

now contempt is rife ... contempt for what we DON'T have ... contempt for the inaccuracy of what we do have ... contempt for the lack of variations on what we do have

I am ... and have been for the past 6-7 years ... in AWE of the selection I have available to me ... and grateful for EVERY new entry ... it is great to see creativity of this sort coming back into the market in a big way ...

There are kids in the block of units that I live in ... 5 of them, all aged between 10-15 (2 boys and 3 girls), have "the bug" ... one of the boys wandered through here about a year and a half ago while I was talking to his old man ... he came running out with a big "WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!" ... others came ...

Of course, now I wear the blame as the scapegoat with parents threatening to kill me because they are being nagged by kids about buying glues, laquers, kits, even PE for crying out loud!!! ... you name it!! ... one kid is into his jets (watching old re-runs of JAG during his school holidays) - 2 F14s, a F16 and a F18 are all shelved above his bed head ... one 14 y/o girl's mum rang me the other night telling me that her daughter was ear bashing her about getting her a book for her birthday ... called "Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe" ... apparently she wants to get Josef Prillers markings right!!!! ... I threw her an old tool Hasegawa 109E a couple of months back as I couldn't be rats-ed dealing with the work required to get it right. She has shamed me!!! ... one kid is asking about how I get that "black exhaust stuff" looking like I do on my P-51D ... another has several 1/35 Abrams tanks WITH support vehicles of every description and can give you a chronological blow-by-blow of the entire Kuwait affair at 10 years old

... and then some sap tries to tell me on here that the hobby is dieing because everyone who does this is older?? ...

Just who is fueling this "boom" we have been having in the industry??

The younger generation need inspiration and encouragement to experiment with and enjoy their art ... not overcritical know-it-alls

I know that I get a huge thrill seeing their work!!!!

14 y/o Sophie loves that Hasegawa old tool with the dark green plastic ... and what she's done with it would stun most!!!

Josh won a prize in his grade 6 classes "build a project" with his RAAF F-18 display

I think we all need a dose of Biil & Ted ... "Be excellent to each other"

Edited by Artful69

Works for me, thanks Edgar. Now where are all those Mk I BoB new decals that we so want :)

Brd

The I & II were supposed to have the "Mk.III" windscreen & hood from April, 1941, but it's doubtful it happened; certainly it would need a photo to be sure, since there were Mk.V airframes delivered with the old-style screen.

Edgar

Well, going by what Revell have done with their 109G, ie: extra parts for different variants, I would have thought they would have boxed the Spitfire as a Mk I/Ia and II with the few additional bits in the box for each mark.

Either way, I know I'll be a happy bunny as a new tool early mark Spitfire is long overdue. This will be a cash cow for Revell. Hurricane next for the new tool treatment?

Regards;

Steve

I have prayed to the Revell model Gods many times lately for a new tool 1/32 Hurricane Mk.I/II to go with the new Spitty Steve!

Can I ask you to do the same?

Perhaps facing a Revell logo with some burning perfumed sticks gently wafting their aroma across the room or something.

At their prices I would have a small stash of them to carry my many decals I have built up over the duration!

Here's hoping!

Roy, the PCM Hurricane(s) are eminently buildable.

UK price for PCM Hurricane £60, Revell Spitfire £20, add to that the Hurricane is only really available mail order so incurs additional postal costs, whereas the Spitfire will be available in hobby shops across the country.

UK price for PCM Hurricane £60, Revell Spitfire £20, add to that the Hurricane is only really available mail order so incurs additional postal costs, whereas the Spitfire will be available in hobby shops across the country.

What he said

Kage, I gathered that PCM kits are a little pricey "over there" , but as I alluded earlier, there are ways around that, with networking. The only other alternative is through MDC for resin bits. Since I'm "over here" I'd rather see the Beaufighter get re-tooled over the Hurri.

I am so much in agreement with Artful69. Build one of these with your kids or grandkids and have fun with them. You could make a strong case that the few Hurricanes and Spitfires made a difference that changed the world, and that may just capture a kid's imagination.

That Spitfire will look good on my shelf, but even better in a kid's hand running around the yard chasing his brother's 109.

Thanks, Revell, and here's hoping for some great kits,

Tnarg

Maybe that's the difference between a young and an old modeler. The younger generation appear to be kit builders depending on manufacturers and aftermarket Co.s to modify the kits for them to build. We old farts know that the 45 yr. old Revels are nice models. Raised details show their age, but us old modelers know what a piece of sand paper, scriber, and a few sheets of plastic will do. Of course we cheat with Eduard, Barracuda, and Grey Matter Figures, etc..., because we're not stupid, well on a good day.

Maybe that's the difference between a young and an old modeler. The younger generation appear to be kit builders depending on manufacturers and aftermarket Co.s to modify the kits for them to build. We old farts know that the 45 yr. old Revels are nice models. Raised details show their age, but us old modelers know what a piece of sand paper, scriber, and a few sheets of plastic will do. Of course we cheat with Eduard, Barracuda, and Grey Matter Figures, etc..., because we're not stupid, well on a good day.

jkon618l_zps19911c91.jpg

Yup totally agree. Half the fun of building older kits is one they are cheap so doing scratchbuild conversions is great as you did not chop up a newer expensive kit. Two some are pretty good in the accuracy department just a few added parts and some re scribing and presto. And three it fun making all that plastic dust and chips lol

Edited by Hacker