HK B-17

Lancman

Guest Dekenba

Having bought HPH's Walrus, I must say that the cost is not too much of an issue - you tend to get what you pay for in terms of quality.

Most of the time, anyway.

Now this does look a beautiful kit. I'd love to have the money to own one but i guess i'll keep saving my money for the Lancaster instead. That would indeed be a beast to own (and one day eventuall build). I do love the B-17 though.

I have to say (and Im sure Steve would WHOLE-hardheartedly agree) that the Osprey review of the B-17 is SO much more comprehensive, informative and well put together than that "other" review posted on LSP earlier that its not even funny.

So approximately how much will the domestic fiscal organisation (the wife) have to quatitively ease the Pharty household?

I think i saw somewhere it's about $280USD or less than the McLaren F1 GTR kit I just ordered from HLJ:

http://www.hlj.com/product/MFHK358/Aut

I've wanted a model of this car ever since I first saw one and well, this looks like it'll be the only option. Thankfully, my wife understands this so no worries on that end.

Carl

Well, unless they fix the nose, windscreen, astrodome and nose perspex, I won't be giving them the approximately $300 it will cost to obtain a copy. I'd love to have one but that error on the nose is just too drastic for me (and I am a B-17 nerd) to accept as is. There are other, less drastic errors/omissions with the kit (such as the radio room hatch) that can easily be overlooked (if present in the production kit) but not the nose of the aircraft. To my agitated eyeballs, the nose of the fort is one of the most visible pieces on the entire aircraft and it has to be right. You may disagree and that's fine.

Now if they fix the nose, I'm in for the long haul and any future toolings of the B-17 that they may produce.

Edited by TimC

Well, unless they fix the nose, windscreen, astrodome and nose perspex, I won't be giving them the approximately $300 it will cost to obtain a copy. I'd love to have one but that error on the nose is just too drastic for me (and I am a B-17 nerd) to accept as is. There are other, less drastic errors/omissions with the kit (such as the radio room hatch) that can easily be overlooked (if present in the production kit) but not the nose of the aircraft. To my agitated eyeballs, the nose of the fort is one of the most visible pieces on the entire aircraft and it has to be right. You may disagree and that's fine.

Now if they fix the nose, I'm in for the long haul and any future toolings of the B-17 that they may produce.

It's okay Tim, I'm sure that the Tamiya one will get it all perfect.....

I'm sure there are ways to fix the problems. But it's also a 1/32 B-17G, which was a pipe dream more than a couple of years ago in injected plastic. So we can just take that as a victory for the modeling world.

Matt :party0023:

My all time Dream ride. Period. Just wish I could convert to street from the track wheels/tires.

As to the B-17...........I guess not being a B-17 nerd, Im wondering in all seriousness what is wrong with the fort nose?

Mine too. I saw one in person a couple of years ago and it was gorgeous. McLaren will actually rebuild the road cars to the racing spec if asked (and you have the money). Since they're now over 15 years old, they'd be street legal in Canada. Now just to win a really big lottery prize :)

As for the B-17, I've gathered that it's too round and needs to be squished (if that's the right term) a bit.

Mine too. I saw one in person a couple of years ago and it was gorgeous. McLaren will actually rebuild the road cars to the racing spec if asked (and you have the money). Since they're now over 15 years old, they'd be street legal in Canada. Now just to win a really big lottery prize :)

As for the B-17, I've gathered that it's too round and needs to be squished (if that's the right term) a bit.

Must be nice. They still aren't legal in the US in their off-the-line state. They lack a lot of the safety and emissions controls that the US requires, so to drive one, you have to put a bunch of stuff on them to import them. It really ruins the looks to see it with bumpers....

I'm waiting to see what the official specs are on the McLaren P1 they're releasing. Apparently it will be the fastest road car ever.

My dream ride is a late 60s Aston-Martin V8 or DBS. But since I'm planning to be a teacher, it will just stay a dream until I discover oil in the backyard.

Yes, apparently you need to flatten the nose right in front of the windscreen. I think it could be accomplished with some sanding sticks and a re-rivet job, but I don't have plastic in hand, so I'm not 100% sure.

Matt :party0023:

Guest Dekenba

Woah.

You can always wait for the next 1/32 B17 off the block.

No model is perfect & I'm sure that an AM correction kit will be launched if the error is so marked, or you could always do some modelling & fix it.

Unless HK will do a Trumpy F4F about turn, but from what I've seen it looks like a bloody massive B-17.