WnW AMC DH-2 7907 ---- 32 Sqn Sept 1916 ---- DONE!

Out2gtcha

Thanks Guy!

Pleased so far yes, but as you and we all know, we are by far and away our own worst critics normally, and this being my first real WWI foray, I wasnt really sure what to expect, or how things actually looked.

More work to come soon, but I think it will be a lot of "tinkering" as the next main step is to join the top and bottom wings, but with the specific idea I have for the rigging, its going to be a hell-of-a lot easier to rig this thing with the tip wing off. But cant rig until I have the GasPatch turnbuckles and Prym RFC style flat rigging.

It just seems like looking at the spacing of the rigging eyelets VS where the wing struts are placed, that attempting to rig this thing from scratch after the upper wing is attached, could be an exercise in madness.

Both should be here next week..................I hope. :unsure:

Until then (since I already have the wheels and undercarriage done) the only thing I really have that I can work on is the prop and rear framework of the aft fuselage sections.

Im thinking it also may be easier to rig both port and starboard rear fuse sections prior to their assembly as well.

After I paint weather and clear the rear tube fuse sections, and get the prop done, if the Prym rigging material and turnbuckles are not here by next week, Ill have pretty much run out of things to do until they do get here.

Ill probably knock out the rear tail skid, prop and rear fuse, then Ill be at a point where all thats left is the rigging.

Till later gents

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 2 weeks later...

Well time for a small update gents.........................

I know its been awhile but the DH-2 was on hold as I had neither the Gaspatch turnbuckles, nor the wider flat Prym rigging material used by WnW to represent the wider RFC main wing box rigging.

I got the Gaspatch turnbuckles in a few days ago but no sign of the Prym rigging material from UK yet, save that I am on the PC and looking out my window to see the Post-man put a small-ish sized box and some other junk in my post box.......................so that might actually be the Prym stuff.

I work nights so I just now got up, and Im not yet keen on going out in the -8.3 C weather were currently having here in the central US. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill have to bundle up and go check to see if I got the rigging material or not here in a bit.

In the mean time, over the weekend, I finished off a few little things I could do that didnt involve the upper wing or its assembly or rigging, as thats just about the last step.

This WWI build order is really messing me up, having the painting and complete weathering done pryer to assembly is throwing me off a bit.

I needed to finish the DH-2s prop so thats what I mainly worked on.

Ive yet to see pics of any DH-2 with a pronounced typical "layered" looking prop, that a lot of WW1 planes had, but instead has smaller, multi-colored grains running the length of each of the main two blades of teh prop that were sandwiched together perpendicular to each other to form the 4 bladed prop.

I liked the look of worn brass tips as apposed to DH-2 gray, so thats the way I went, using multiple layers of oils and clears to represent the multi colored layers of the prop grain -

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01331.jpg

DSC01332.jpg

I also took a Tamiya weathering stick (Mud in this case) and gave the wheels a little bit of slop im sure they accumulated operating off of the strips they did.

I didnt go nuts on this, but I think the chunkier texture of the mud pen gives some good texture and depth to the look of it. Just enough to make it mucked up, but not SO much its all you notice -

DSC01323.jpg

DSC01322.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

I got the rear fuselage sections painted up and cleared ready for a wash, so in typical WnW fashion, I was able to just dry fit them on, and they stuck in position, so I set the wheels in position along with the prop (all just resting on and not permanently attached yet) to see how things are shaping up.

Quite pleased with things after spraying the prop with some flat clear, and giving it a bit of a hand polish -

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01326.jpg

DSC01325.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

Off to check the post box, till later guys!

Cheers,

HaHa!!

The Prym elastic rigging material has arrived. I ordered 3 200m spools of the stuff just to make the shipping worth it.

Elastic.jpg

Looks like nice stuff for RFC wire to tell you the truth. Its VERY stretchy, and seems to be quite resilient. It also seems to have a VERY consistently straight & flat profile all along the length of the whole spool. Obviously this stuff will not be suited to the German aircraft, but I will continue to use dark EZ line only on those cases.

I think the mix of the Prym 770 for the flat RFC rigging, and the thinner EZ line for the round stuff (even though it too is flat but stretched tighter, it doesnt look flat) will give the model an interesting look, as well as be technically more accurate since the 1:1 DH-2 also had a mix of the flat rigging and round rigging.

Looks like rigging will commence this weekend!

Cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

The prop and with it's brass tip shield, just knocks me out! :clap2: The detail and overall ascetics are a amazing. With the tail booms now on, the light surely can be seen at the end of the tunnel. beautiful work all the way around

Keep 'em coming

Looking good Brian! I really like what you've done with the prop.

Kev

Thanks Kev. Not perfect, but the WnW stuff is so good OOB that it deserved some effort.

fantastic build!

I have the Roden DH in the stash.

Thanks Shawn.........

I was always tempted by the Roden offering..............for years as a matter of fact, and was close on several occasions to purchasing one but as I wasnt really into WWI stuff I held off. Then I heard about the WnW version, and waited till it came out, and even though its a spindly thing and I think will get real complex once rigging commences, its been a real joy to build and detail.

Id figured if I can handle (and RIG) the DH-2, I can handle any WnW kit.

Brian

The prop and with it's brass tip shield, just knocks me out! :clap2: The detail and overall ascetics are a amazing. With the tail booms now on, the light surely can be seen at the end of the tunnel. beautiful work all the way around

Keep 'em coming

Thanks a heap Peter.

Im anxious to get this one complete, as I NOW HAVE MY GREAT WHITE BUFFALO ON ITS WAY TO ME!!! (AKA B-25J Strafer) yay!

The B-25 solid nose should be here tomorrow, and I will commence with an in box review straight away, then will dive into an official WIP, once the DH-2 is complete, along with a weekly build article for PCM and LSP.

Stellar work Brian, the mix of colours looks great, the funky design of the plane didn't really do much for me, but I've just been on the WnW site looking at the kit. I'll try and be strong!

One point, I'd put some matt varnish on the mud always looks a bit unrealistic with a sheen. HTH!

HaHa!!

The Prym elastic rigging material has arrived. I ordered 3 200m spools of the stuff just to make the shipping worth it.

Looks like nice stuff for RFC wire to tell you the truth. Its VERY stretchy, and seems to be quite resilient. It also seems to have a VERY consistently straight & flat profile all along the length of the whole spool. Obviously this stuff will not be suited to the German aircraft, but I will continue to use dark EZ line only on those cases.

I think the mix of the Prym 770 for the flat RFC rigging, and the thinner EZ line for the round stuff (even though it too is flat but stretched tighter, it doesnt look flat) will give the model an interesting look, as well as be technically more accurate since the 1:1 DH-2 also had a mix of the flat rigging and round rigging.

Looks like rigging will commence this weekend!

Cheers,

Is Prym a recognised brand for rigging WW1 aircraft Brian??? I tell you why I ask:

I ordered WnW's flat rigging from a well known retailer / wholesaler and when I got that exact product I queried why a "Wingnut Wing" product, as shown in their listing, arrived looking as though it had come from a sewing shop.

The response was quite positive in that they're puzzled too and are also querying it with WnW. Apparently they receive a whole variety of makes of " flat rigging" from them and never branded as WnW's either.

My worry was, how could I sell something that looked like having come from a local haberdashery shop but at a WnW's premium price? Meanwhile, I won't put it on the site until I'm assured that it's actually an official WnW's item for fear of a whole load of indignant customers asking why it doesn't say WnW's on it.

Stellar build as always Brian - I just love the prop and the brass end pieces are superb. By the way, did you know your DH-2 has been playing in the mud? ..... just thought I'd check :)

Grant

I really love the prop Brian. It actually looks like beaten-up brass. In a couple of the pictures, it actually looks dented as well, did you do that on your build? Amazing attention to detail.

Can't wait to see it all rigged up. That rigging is why I haven't done one of those, it scares me off.

Matt :party0023:

Yeah, rigging looks always pretty intimidating. I was briefly looking into a Hobbycraft Spad for the upcoming group build, but when I found a picture of the rigging, I decided to pass... ;)

...hm, Prym, they have their headquarters 15 minutes from my home, in Stolberg.

MY, my. I miss a few days and look what happens. Oh my, my friend. This is outstandingly good work ! Looks just real. Keep it up Brian, I'm lovin it.........Harv :popcorn:

Stellar work Brian, the mix of colours looks great, the funky design of the plane didn't really do much for me, but I've just been on the WnW site looking at the kit. I'll try and be strong!

One point, I'd put some matt varnish on the mud always looks a bit unrealistic with a sheen. HTH!

Lol, thanks Andy. In this case I was actually going for a bit of a "fresh mud" look, but I might see if I can apply a bit O clear matt to it and tone things down. :)

My favorite and it´s on the stash in 32 scale, have started up the Roden kit but been stralled when I noticed WnW,s kit,Your build bring back some nice memorys from the 48-scale build/Eduard) I did several years ago

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2006/12/stuff_qvarfordt_dh2.htm

Keep up the good work

LarsaQ

Thanks Larsa, I think its going to be an adventure for sure but the Gaspatch turnbuckles and Bobs buckles stuff should come in handy.

Nice DH BTW!

Is Prym a recognised brand for rigging WW1 aircraft Brian??? I tell you why I ask:

I ordered WnW's flat rigging from a well known retailer / wholesaler and when I got that exact product I queried why a "Wingnut Wing" product, as shown in their listing, arrived looking as though it had come from a sewing shop.

The response was quite positive in that they're puzzled too and are also querying it with WnW. Apparently they receive a whole variety of makes of " flat rigging" from them and never branded as WnW's either.

My worry was, how could I sell something that looked like having come from a local haberdashery shop but at a WnW's premium price? Meanwhile, I won't put it on the site until I'm assured that it's actually an official WnW's item for fear of a whole load of indignant customers asking why it doesn't say WnW's on it.

Stellar build as always Brian - I just love the prop and the brass end pieces are superb. By the way, did you know your DH-2 has been playing in the mud? ..... just thought I'd check :)

Grant

To tell you the truth Grant I was not sure either on what to use for the larger RFC flat wires. I was NOT going to use the PE rigging, with all of the horror stories around about using it, so I did some checking on the WnW site, so see what they used.

I figured whatever they used was probably ok. WnW recommends and sells both EZ Line (which I already had an ample supply of) and the flat Prym elastic thread.

Grant, what I would do is this:

- Since your already in the UK (I think right?) where Prym products seem to be most prevalent, you can order it from most anywhere it seems.

- I would purchase the stuff from a place like this where I got mine (artofyarn.co.uk):

Prym elastic thread @ Art of Yarn

- Then I would send it to your customers as they order it referencing this page at WnW that directly references the Prym rigging material for RFC flat wires:

Prym elastic thread recommendation @ WnW

- Just have them click on the very first picture top row, far left, of the spool of white-ish thread and a pop-up window will appear that says:

"00003 RAF flat rigging for RFC aircraft x200m - easy to use thread This is Prym 977 770 Knitting-in elastic. It is the same material as 00002 RAF flat rigging but less expensive."

- Then just charge your normal price mark up and you should still be in the black.

This is what led me to search for the Prym stuff by name as it seems like some of the only stuff out there that is not only elastic and stretchy, but has a consistently flat profile

The way I figure it is, if WnW wanted to keep what they were selling a secret to KEEP selling it from their site, and prevent people from just cutting out the (expensive) middle man and buying it direct from a sewing supplier, they shouldnt have put exactly what they were using right on the site. Cant afford their prices but I surly can afford £7.50 for 3 200m spools of the stuff.

I really love the prop Brian. It actually looks like beaten-up brass. In a couple of the pictures, it actually looks dented as well, did you do that on your build? Amazing attention to detail.

Can't wait to see it all rigged up. That rigging is why I haven't done one of those, it scares me off.

Matt :party0023:

Thanks for the kind words Matt :) I tried to bring out some natural "wear" by painting the tips MM burnt iron first, then dry brushing with MM brass, then a nice FM wash.

Yeah, rigging looks always pretty intimidating. I was briefly looking into a Hobbycraft Spad for the upcoming group build, but when I found a picture of the rigging, I decided to pass... ;)

...hm, Prym, they have their headquarters 15 minutes from my home, in Stolberg.

Yep, seems that the Prym stuff, (and their "Gold-Zack" range as well) is about the only stuff Ive seen out their with a nice wider, flat profile, that remains stretchy as well.

MY, my. I miss a few days and look what happens. Oh my, my friend. This is outstandingly good work ! Looks just real. Keep it up Brian, I'm lovin it.........Harv :popcorn:

Thanks bro. You know how LSP works in the winter building months, if you go a week or two, or sometimes even a day or two, without posting you find your thread on page 5! :lol:

Thanks again guys, Im off to start experimenting with the Prym stuff!

Cheers,