WnW AMC DH-2 7907 ---- 32 Sqn Sept 1916 ---- DONE!

Out2gtcha

Looking REALLY good Brian! I've this one in the stash waiting for the group build to commence.. will definately be using this as a guideline when I start mine. Waiting on you to start rigging this one so I don't get an anuerism trying figure out how to do it! Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Jerry

Looks great Brian! As far as the sawtooth pattern under the fuselage is concerned, considering it was doped on, yours probably looks more prototypical than you might think.

Have you come up with a solution to the flat wire rigging?

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks guys! Wolf, I have basically come down to 2 options:

1 – Order the Prym flat elastic riggin material and wait, then rig it up using (hopefully) Bobs Buckles

2 – Since technically, the EZ Line is flat, I could just simplify things and rig the whole thing with it.

I think I may actually opt for option 3 and order the Prym flat rigging, then attempt to only use it for the main boxes on the wing, and use the “round” looking (or at least more so than the Prym stuff) EZ Line for the other 2/3rds of the rigging and control lines.

Id love to use the Prym flat elastic line with the BBs but im not 100% sure they will even fit with the flat riggings larger/wider dimensions, but I may just have to order some, and work from there, as I DO plan on building more Brit stuff, so its going to be needed anyway.

For the moment, being a bit out of sorts in the build order Im not used to in WW1 builds, I had to finish weathering and washing most all of the main airframe components.

Things look IMHO, much better under a coat of Flory Models dart dirk wash and some Tamiya weathering pallet work.

I took some TWPs “mud” and crushed it up in some water, then put one of the WnWs wheels on a toothpick, then chucked it in my dremel tool, then dipped in the water/TWPs mix, and “spun” it right over where (I HOPE) the actual wheel would be leaving muddy tracks. I HOPE MY MEASUREMENTS WERE ON!!

Gawd, youd think I was over-doing some of this, but not from the mud/casteroil caked and covered examples Ive seen pics (albeit B&W) of…………

I didn’t go to quite such extremes on the fuse, but the CDL undersides of the wings, specifically the centers near where the engine sets at the trailing edges, and the general bottom of the bottom wing got it good. I also got the Lewis MG mag holders installed, but the mags themselves are just propped for show atm –

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

Happy New Year all!!!

Cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

What a way to open up the new year progress photos. Weathering is spot on; perfect capture of a worn and used weathering and still Used but not abused.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Brian ... that's fantastic. This is one of the main reasons I stock Flory's washes ... I personally love the effect you can get with it in what is, realistically, a fairly simple procedure.

The Lewis magazine straps came out brilliantly too. Tell me, if you use E-Z line, how do you colour it? It's my understanding that it comes in black?

Grant

Peter, Grant, thank you for the kind words.

Yeah Grant, I love the FM wash its really easy to use and teh results can be anything from horribly forked up (see the underside CDL of my wings) to just some mild grim in the panel lines depending on the glossiness of your initial surface.

As to the VERY soon to come rigging issue, Ive ordered some of the Gaspatch turnbuckles to further my madness:

Two sets (60 total) of the set A turnbuckles:

3_zoom.jpg

and then for the control lines and other minor support cables a single set (30 total) of the set C turnbuckles:

5_zoom.jpg

In the mean time until these arrive, I will work on getting some of Bobs Buckles mounted in teh upper wing, get the lower wing glued on the fuselage, and then finally attempt to get a good start on the undercarriage and wheels/tyres.

The main goal will be to all of the BBs eyelets in the top wing, then to get the struts and upper wing mounted so they can set and dry in the correct position.

More to come later gents and thanks for looking in on me.

Cheers,

Thanks Ron. :)

More work progressed this past night, to round out my last night off work, before returning to the dungeon later tonight.......

First step up, was a quite significant part of most any aviation build, and that’s mating the wing (s) and fuse. In this case the mini-fuselage to the lower wing.

I had to do some scraping and sanding to keep the OOB dihedral after watching the problems Peter encountered, I didn’t want to the lower wing on only to find it didn’t match up dihedral wise.

After some paint and primer scraping in the mating areas the fit is excellent here –

DSC01310_zpsced55fb7.jpg

I just added some Flory wash here once the wing was glued in place –

DSC01311_zpsa1a1ec5d.jpg

Underside fit looks complex, but was also excellent –

DSC01312_zps7eb442fe.jpg

I had to bring things together with a coat of PC.10 on the underside, which still needs a good wash -

DSC01313_zpse472d625.jpg

The next tedious task up that took hrs, was to cut a mess of Bobs buckles down to size and install them in their correct places on the top wing. I hope the flat wider Prym rigging will fit through these. :unsure:

DSC01309_zps8b605354.jpg

DSC01308_zpsee8c9b5c.jpg

Ive decided to hold off on installing the wing struts and top wing, as now that Im looking at things I think Its going to be a HELL of a lot easier to try the rigging method I have in mind with the top wing off.

The only problem I have is the Prym rigging material as well as the GasPatch turnbuckles wont be here likely till next week or beyond.

Oh well, Ill tinker with the smaller stuff like finishing off the prop, painting the rear frame part of the fuselage ect, ect, until they arrive.

MORE…………………..

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Sweet, simply sweet! Glad you spent extra time working on the wing fit and getting the required dihedral on the lower wings. Maybe something good came out of my debacle after all , besides giving me an ulcer. The eyehooks look perfect and I'm taking more and more notes.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Next I turned my attentions to the landing gear, along with the wheels/tyres. I actually got these finished up, including a wash and flat coat, as the MM clear lacquer flat dried SO fast, I had all of the layers including weathering and wearing the contact patch on the tyres.

Heres where I am –

DSC01318_zpsbcfa6876.jpg

DSC01317_zps5a398cb1.jpg

DSC01316_zps83d2ac7e.jpg

The gear is just setting in place for show atm, but the fit is so good dry, that I couldn’t resist –

DSC01307_zps67c55917.jpg

DSC01306_zps345312ef.jpg

Til later lads

I .......... Love it !!!! The wash, the "feel" of it, the colour and weathering ... Superb. Worth every hour you've spent on it.

You can't imagine what it was like to fly in one of these - it's just a small tub attached to an engine and some canvas. Dear Lord it must have been daunting - and then you've got to fight in it !

Grant.

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Awesome work on the gear. Noted and bookmarked as well.

A friend of mine said he only borrows from the best, it's my motto as well.

Peter

Outstanding!

Tom

Thanks for the kind sentiments Tom! :)

I .......... Love it !!!! The wash, the "feel" of it, the colour and weathering ... Superb. Worth every hour you've spent on it.

You can't imagine what it was like to fly in one of these - it's just a small tub attached to an engine and some canvas. Dear Lord it must have been daunting - and then you've got to fight in it !

Grant.

Thanks Grant. I know exactly what you mean................thats kind of the same feeling of why ive started to get a little interest in WWI modeling. These guys must have had orbs of steel!

Plus, thats also what kind of attracted me to the DH-2. was its totally spindly, and insane looking configuration that you would think may not even get into the sky, let alone be able to shoot another airplane down.

Brian

Awesome work on the gear. Noted and bookmarked as well.

A friend of mine said he only borrows from the best, it's my motto as well.

Peter

lol, thanks Pete!

No worries man, Iv borrowed plenty off you so far! :lol:

Yegads that looks good! :o

In a couple of those close-ups of the undersides of the wings I'd swear I was looking at real weathered linen. You must be very happy with how things are going Brian?

I can happily say that watching all of these stringbag builds here on LSP is an absolute treat and extremely addictive.

Keep at it man, it's looking very cool. :thumbsup: