1/32nd scale ID Models Boeing B-29 - FINISHED

tomprobert

Well believe it or not spring seems to have finally sprung here in Kent - it's been warm and sunny over the last couple of days so once again I have taken full advantage of this lovely weather and have made some more progress with the paint job.

B-29s had a darker main spar and centre-section, seen here on Enola Gay at the Smithsonian in Washington:

EnolaGaytopshot.jpg

With the main airframe having been sprayed Halfords' 'Aluminium' I have used Halfords' 'Ford Machine Silver' to replicate this area on my version:

S1030589.jpg

I think it looks spot on when considering the aluminium will be dulled down somewhat with a coat of satin varnish.

The next task was to add the high-visibility 'Arctic Red' areas which the Kee Bird had on the outer wing panels and tail area. Although called Arctic Red, when studying photos from the period it is more of a vibrant orange - see the picture of the Kee Bird below:

Kee_Bird_flying_in_formation.png

Once again it was Halfords to the rescue with 'Ford Carnival Red' which is a very close match indeed. With some tedious masking and five ultra thin coats later, here we are:

S1030583.jpg

S1030585.jpg

S1030586.jpg

S1030590.jpg

I hope you'll agree it looks about right!

The next task is the spray the gloss black undersides. You never know, if the weather holds I may have the painting completed sooner rather than later!

Tom

Wonderful build Tom.

I will probably catch flak from everyone but I have to say arctic orange?

It just does not look like a typical B29 to me so many great nose art to choose from so many

Tail markings.

Please let me say you have wonderful skills and such a talent for these vacs

And I know it is your choice for markings and your right to do the Kee bird but....

I was wanting so much For an all siver with black tactical markings. I apologize but just wanted to say it.

Again Tom such great work on this and I apologize for expressing my opinion.

Its your model and a great one at that congratulations on such a great build on your B-29.

Jon

I dont think there is anything wrong with an opinion Jon. And definitely don't think anyone including Tom would come down on you or anyone else for expressing it in a respectful way. I like the color myself and obviously so does Tom. I think personally I like the silver with black undersides with no red but the red and the Kee Bird itself add something to the build IMHO for sure.

Spring is here! :yahoo:

Well, that's probably a bit premature given the look of the world outside the window this morning but, at least you managed to get some paint on the big bird. And beautiful it looks too. :thumbsup:

The differing shades look spot on to me and I'm a big fan of silver/orange paint schemes so you've got my vote. :goodjob:

I'm eager to see the black on now.

Great work Tom, keep it up. :bow:

Wonderful build Tom.

I will probably catch flak from everyone but I have to say arctic orange?

It just does not look like a typical B29 to me so many great nose art to choose from so many

Tail markings.

Please let me say you have wonderful skills and such a talent for these vacs

And I know it is your choice for markings and your right to do the Kee bird but....

I was wanting so much For an all siver with black tactical markings. I apologize but just wanted to say it.

Again Tom such great work on this and I apologize for expressing my opinion.

Its your model and a great one at that congratulations on such a great build on your B-29.

Jon

I dont think there is anything wrong with an opinion Jon. And definitely don't think anyone including Tom would come down on you or anyone else for expressing it in a respectful way. I like the color myself and obviously so does Tom. I think personally I like the silver with black undersides with no red but the red and the Kee Bird itself add something to the build IMHO for sure.

Hi Jon,

Please don't apologise - you are quite entitled to your opinion, and as Out2gtcha rightly says one of the great things about this site (unlike some others I could mention!) is the constructive comments and chat about each others' builds that makes it a great place to share our work.

I'll elaborate if I may about my choice of 'Kee Bird'.

My love for this aeroplane started many years ago as a young lad watching the documentary about the failed recovery attempt of this aircraft in 1994 from the Greenland ice. I was quite literally heartbroken at the sight of this beautiful aircraft catching fire and burning after being so close to recovery. Even to this day, when I re-watch the documentary I can't help but get a lump in my throat and think 'what if...?'

I had always planned to build the Kee Bird in 1/48th using the Monogram kit, but when I came across this model I felt that I had to do this scheme. I agree that there are some wonderful schemes out there, from both WWII and Korea (as well as RAF Washingtons) with some very interesting unit markings and nose arts, but the history behind the Kee Bird and the fact that so many people had seen the tragic story I thought it would make a very interesting subject to model.

I would have been easy to chose 'any' B-29 to model (I was also contemplating Enola Gay of Bocks Car) but as I said The Kee Bird holds a special place in my heart and I'm building this as a kind of tribute to a very special plane.

Also, I love the contrast between the NMF, Black undersides and Arctic colours. You're right, it's not 'classic' B-29, but it sure is eye catching!

Thanks again for the feedback :)

Tom

Edited by tomprobert