Time to retire...

Harold

I have finally decided it was time to quit working at my 33 year career.

I sold my last business about 7 years ago. I agreed to work part time helping out when needed. Trouble is, I ended up working more than I wanted.

Plus, the owners hired a young lady to be a "manager"...wow!

I really do not understand the new way of "managing".

I have always used the "carrot" not the "stick". I treated my employees like they were gold. They loved to come to work, now they dread it.

This "kid" (25 years old) is actually terrifying the staff. All of them are looking for other employment, but with the economy the way it is, they can't leave very easily.

I am the one everyone looks to for help, I can stand up to her, (she needs me, I don't need her). So, in a way I feel bad for leaving, but I need my sanity as well.

My wife agrees, I come home and vent to her.

We will just have to tighten the belts just a bit due to the loss of the income.

There may be a silver lining though. I can devote more time to creating new resin goodies. After I took on the prop set for the B-25, I feel I can do more for the WWII and maybe earlier kits.

I want to make sure I don't get in the way of anyone else doing the same things though. I will be on the props forums to keep tabs.

Cheers,

Harold

Maybe you can give her a parting shot in front of the rest of the staff to let her know what you think.....

...nah, just get out! Too bad for the others, but that seems to be the way "management" works now.

I know just what you mean Harold. I have been contending with a somewhat similar situation for the last year or so and have had enough. This Friday (June 15th) is my last work day before retirement. Now I'll have plenty of time for more builds. :rolleyes:

John

Well Harold..it's a matter of priorities. But if it were me, I'd give the new owner(s) a heads up before I left,you just might save

them some grief,time, and money. But on the bright side, you'll have a lot more time to spend here,and many of us including myself enjoy your company

and knowledgeable input. All the best Harold ;)

Edited by williamj

I have finally decided it was time to quit working at my 33 year career.

I sold my last business about 7 years ago. I agreed to work part time helping out when needed. Trouble is, I ended up working more than I wanted.

Plus, the owners hired a young lady to be a "manager"...wow!

I really do not understand the new way of "managing".

I have always used the "carrot" not the "stick". I treated my employees like they were gold. They loved to come to work, now they dread it.

This "kid" (25 years old) is actually terrifying the staff. All of them are looking for other employment, but with the economy the way it is, they can't leave very easily.

I am the one everyone looks to for help, I can stand up to her, (she needs me, I don't need her). So, in a way I feel bad for leaving, but I need my sanity as well.

My wife agrees, I come home and vent to her.

We will just have to tighten the belts just a bit due to the loss of the income.

There may be a silver lining though. I can devote more time to creating new resin goodies. After I took on the prop set for the B-25, I feel I can do more for the WWII and maybe earlier kits.

I want to make sure I don't get in the way of anyone else doing the same things though. I will be on the props forums to keep tabs.

Cheers,

Harold

Hey Harold,

I know exactly where you're coming from. I took early retirement six years ago and never looked back. My job went from one that I loved and looked forward to when I got up each morning to a hell on earth that was actually endangering my health. Everything was great until a new female superintendent took over and announced that she wanted a "young dynamic staff who share my vision." We never found out what this so-called vision was, but we soon learned that what she really wanted was a staff of yes-men and women whose main trait was a mindless willingness to kiss her behind and agree unquestioningly with everything she said. She proceded to badger and bedevil us long-time employees until we quit. Those who wouldn't leave voluntarily, she found a way to fire. Whenever she succeeded in getting rid of someone, she replaced them with one of her friends, and in one instance, even her husband got a plum position! Luckily, I was eligible for early retirement, which I eagerly took, even though doing so hit me hard financially.

I hear stories like yours and mine all the time, and often wonder why there are so many bad managers out there and why they have to make our lives so miserable, but at least I'm now out of the reach of these narcissistic numbskulls and nincompoops, and free to pursue my interests, like modeling.

Enjoy your new-found freedom!

Jerry Peterson

I think you should take her for a fight behind the sheds!

seriously - all you can do is enjoy the good stuff coming to you - stay active mate and enjpy the next chapter in your life!

champagneandcigar.jpg

ads

Edited by Ads

Hey Harold,

I know exactly where you're coming from. I took early retirement six years ago and never looked back. My job went from one that I loved and looked forward to when I got up each morning to a hell on earth that was actually endangering my health. Everything was great until a new female superintendent took over and announced that she wanted a "young dynamic staff who share my vision." We never found out what this so-called vision was, but we soon learned that what she really wanted was a staff of yes-men and women whose main trait was a mindless willingness to kiss her behind and agree unquestioningly with everything she said. She proceded to badger and bedevil us long-time employees until we quit. Those who wouldn't leave voluntarily, she found a way to fire. Whenever she succeeded in getting rid of someone, she replaced them with one of her friends, and in one instance, even her husband got a plum position! Luckily, I was eligible for early retirement, which I eagerly took, even though doing so hit me hard financially.

I hear stories like yours and mine all the time, and often wonder why there are so many bad managers out there and why they have to make our lives so miserable, but at least I'm now out of the reach of these narcissistic numbskulls and nincompoops, and free to pursue my interests, like modeling.

Enjoy your new-found freedom!

Jerry Peterson

Oh boy Jerry,
You hit it perfectly. I won't be put down by someone with almost no real time experience, I made a suggestion to her, she said: "I don't want you schooling me" HUH?. the staff is about to mutiny and I was attempting to let her know that she needed to back off until she got to know how things worked....

She made it very clear that she wants all new staff, fresh out of college, so she can "mold" them.
Lets' see what the profit percentages are after one year with her using "molded" staff. Edited by Harold

BEST WISHES on your million days off from now on !!!

ENJOY the retirement and leave the rest behind... :yahoo:

Once the young lady sees that she has no confidants or anyone she can turn to in her hour of need as she

is so terrifying, and the staff become "elusive" to her and for her, and slowly they begin to ignore her or leave, the people that gave her this

job will see the error of their ways and make a more learned ,better judgement when they hire the next manager...

In the mean time Harold...YOU GO AND ENJOY what LIFE has to offer... :punk: :punk: ...go dancing... :punk:

BEST OF LUCK.. :m0152:

MARU... :wub:

Thanks MARU...I will have to re-boot, but I think it will be a blessing in the long run.

before you leave, inject milk into her chair & secrete rotting fish in the drywall, that'll sort her out

Haha.....I wish.

I gave her my notice today. The blank look was precious. I had to repeat it.

Now she will be short staffed and no probees available.