Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

'. . . and they are not.'

OOPS!  Egg on my face!  I double-checked and I found them.  How right you are!  Hardly noticeable.  Will get on this.  Many thanks.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

nice work! I am also reminded how much more secure the engine mounting/fuselage relationship is on the Mustang... the Spit has proved to be much more shaky in that regard... my son and I built a similar Spit a couple of years ago, but strictly OOB, which actually pushed us to the limit... what you do is working at the peak of this hobby...  :bow:

Mark, here are the coolant connectors that I'm talking about that go from the cylinder heads to the glycol tank. Hopefully the pics and the drawing help. You can see where they connect to the glycol tank as the tank has two round raised discs moulded at the back. There also appears to be a small air bleeder valve on the glycol tank between the two coolant connectors.

Cheers,

Wolf

Coolant-connector-2.jpg

You're a very sick man Wolf...get some help.

Edited by williamj

astounding detailing Mark - I recognise many of those parts from when I was building a Merlin for my HpH Hornet - I sat scratching my head trying to figure out how to make such tiny linkages and where all the connections go to / come from

well now I will just come here for reference when I pick up on that build again!

simply beautiful..

Peter

Thank you, Kevin.  This round has been a pleasure to do.  Everything seems to be positive.

Thank you, Mitch.

Thank you, Peter.  Early on before I came back to this round I was simply lost as to what to do and where to begin.  Now, it seems to not only be right before my eyes, I'm making the right decisions.

Sincerely,

Mark

Finishing up the linkage systems.

DSCN7521_zps7647737c.jpg

Top link system is to the Hot Air Door Control.  I believe it draws air from the engine compartment.  As you can see at the bottom it's not attached.  This way I can remove the ducting.  The larger raised area on the air duct to which the single link is attached is supposed to be/house a screen, but I didn't bother.  Bottom system is to Filtered Air Door and Ram Air Gate.  Filtered Air Door is for the air openings on the side of the bottom cowling.  The Ram Air Gate is for the opening under the propeller.  When one is all of the way open the other is all the way closed.  In-between air can enter the duct thru each.  If there is an in-between.  I don't know.

DSCN7523_zps371de272.jpg

To the right: Right-most is to the Filtered Air Door/Ram Air Gate.  Next is the Hot Air Door Control Attachment.  To the left. Top connection is to the Ram Air Gate.  Bottom connection is to the Filtered Air Door.

DSCN7524_zpsd45be4e7.jpg

Filtered Air Door connection.  The Ram Air Gate connections are situated within the Filtered Air Door box.  Seen better above.  I didn't bother with the connection leading into the box.  Nor the link for the other Filtered Air Door.  Too many things in the way.

DSCN7526_zps632a733d.jpg

This line is the Manifold Pressure Line which goes to the instrument panel.  I called it the 'Fuel Pressure Line' in my earlier post.  This is the line which terminated in the vertical along this frame.  The clean end slips into drilled hex rod and the other end slips onto some wire protruding from the primer connection.

I don't know if this engine compartment linkage will fit as I didn't put the engine compartment together with all of the hoses and whatnot.  But the system along the intake fits.  If it doesn't I'll remove it and move on.  I'll see later.

Not much engine compartment work to do, which is a relief.  Not that I'm tired of it, it's just a lot of little bits.  I still have the firewall to complete and the coolant connections Wolf mentioned.

Until then.

Thank you for following along.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Just like going back in time and watching the Mustangs roll down the line, being assembled part by part. Incredible work and brilliant engineering.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

C'mon Mark, quit foolin' around! We want all those linkages fitting and functional:rofl:

I noticed that you reattached the rear engine attachment point that you'd previously removed from the lower firewall. What's the story on that?

Don't ever take these pics down, I'll need them for reference. Either that or I'll glue my cowl pieces on and be done with it.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you, Mal.  I enjoy doing all of these little details.  Especially when they work out.  Using manuals satisfies my curiosity and keeps me involved beyond the plastic.

Well, if SWMBO has her way, my work will be slowing down.  She has me stripping/sanding cabinets for a kitchen re-do.  Now my modeling time will have to be sneaky.

Thank you, Brother Bear.

I know what you mean, Wolf.  To have the linkage systems be movable would have been very wild indeed.  Maybe in 1/24th scale.

Putting the tab back on is a long and convoluted story.  With the tab off of the firewall the engine had two points of contact: the round opening in the cowling face, behind the propeller; and the air duct tab.

While assembling the compartment for evaluations the engine wouldn't consistently align (horizontally or vertically) because there wasn't a (stable) constant.  The misalignment wasn't great, but off is off.  If engine alignment was off then everything added was going to be off.

The only way the engine was going to be consistently stable with the tab removed was if the facing and air duct were glued and secure.  These two points would then become the constants necessary for proper alignment.  To do so would necessitate gluing them to at least one side of the fuselage, then tabbing in and taping that side to the other side, or gluing them to both fuselage halves and gluing the fuselage halves together.

To glue these parts to one side of the fuselage would cause them to project from the fuselage with their connection being a weak/breaking point.  Gluing them to both fuselage halves would not allow access from underneath the bay nor access to the engine bottom: no piping.

Although I didn't investigate this: I think I would also be required to finish and fit the cockpit and firewall.  I'm not positive, as I only investigated engine bay access and alignment.

By replacing the tab I had a constantly stable platform and was able to access the area in the round, the single most important consideration, something I would not have been able to do with parts in place.  At least I imagined I would not have been able to do with parts in place.  Since I didn't investigate anything after the instability issue I don't know. 

I haven't considered removing it a second time only because I haven't thought of removing it a second time.  But with everything in place the space should actually look grand with the tab removed.

The Photobucket account I have is called Professional, I think that is what they label it.  As far as I understand I'll have unlimited storage for as long as I keep paying.  So hopefully the imagery will remain until at least after you finish your build!

I thought this stuff was in the CDs I sent you.

I may put on the lower cowl.  I need to think about it more.  I know its' placement will visually: tie the panel smoothness of the front with the panel smoothness of the fuselage; and more importantly, offer a nice rough/smooth contrast between the engine bay top and bottom halves, and as such, will cause the top half to become a center of interest.  That's the ticket.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37