A Short 184 from scratch, part 1.

Glenn R

Hi Everyone,

For some time, I've wanted to build a Short 184 in 1/32 scale. To do this I had to learn some new skills and refine some old ones.

One of the new skills, was learning how to carve a four-bladed propeller. I'd done two-bladed ones before, but a four-bladed one required a lot more thought and planning. At first I thought I could cheat, by using the one left over from my Wingnuts Bristol Fighter, but found it was too small in diameter and it turned the wrong way. Though I could use it as a pattern.

I started off by layering some 30thou plastic strips in the form of a cross and leaving it alone for about a week to allow all the solvents to evaporate.

PICT0411-1.jpg

The basic outline was then drawn, both sides, on the cross.

PICT0413.jpg

Plastic cold now be removed from around the outline with a heavy duty knife.

PICT0414.jpg

Out came the trusty Dremel tool for the next part and the basic shape formed using a rotary file attachment. I found that getting the shape of the first blade was the hardest, continually checking against the Bristol pattern, but remembering everything has to be 'mirror image'.

PICT0415-1.jpg

Finishing off with some 'wet & dry' abrasive paper, used wet, the final form was achieved. The whole thing then being painted pale grey to show up any imperfections.

PICT0416-1.jpg

After final painting, the brass coloured 'capping' was given a rub with some pencil lead powder and the whole thing then being sealed with a coat of Klear/Future.

PICT0417-1.jpg

Next up being the tail feathers.

How am I doing so far?

Glenn.

Glenn, so glad you decided to post this here. Fantastic planning and execution with that prop, and the result is outstanding. I'm looking forward to following the rest of this build, and learning as much as I can!

Kev

Well, now you've seen how I made my propeller, we can move onto the construction of the tail surfaces.

I started off by cutting out the tailplane/elevators, fin and rudder core shapes from 30thou plasticard sheet, making sure the trailing edges of the elevators and rudder were slightly undersize, to allow the forthcoming skins to join at a sharp angle at that point.

Skins were drawn out onto 10thou plasticard sheet and, using an embossing tool (a steel rod with a ball on the end set into a handle), ribs were scored onto the plastic. I've found that placing a sheet of card, the stuff used for bordering pictures/photos, gives the best result as the card has some 'give' in it. I embossed just a fraction inboard of both trailing and leading edges.

Once all that was done, a pounce wheel was run along the resultant grooves, making sure I didn't press too hard and break the outer surface of the skins. This will simulate the knots tied along the ribs.

PICT0406-1.jpg

Next job was to glue some thin 10thou strips into the grooves to prevent them from collapsing when the skins are attached to their cores.

PICT0407-1.jpg

The skins were then attached to the cores using contact adhesive, with a thin bead of cyanoacrylate run around the edges. Once everything was dry, the leading edges were rounded with a file/sandpaper and we were ready for the next part.

Glenn.

Glenn,

Fantastic start of an epic build, I will be following this one very closely.

I had two problems to solve for the HP 0/400, the props and the tail, now

at least have an idea how to tackle them.

Thanks

Cees

Well, now you've seen how I made my propeller, we can move onto the construction of the tail surfaces.

I started off by cutting out the tailplane/elevators, fin and rudder core shapes from 30thou plasticard sheet, making sure the trailing edges of the elevators and rudder were slightly undersize, to allow the forthcoming skins to join at a sharp angle at that point.

Skins were drawn out onto 10thou plasticard sheet and, using an embossing tool (a steel rod with a ball on the end set into a handle), ribs were scored onto the plastic. I've found that placing a sheet of card, the stuff used for bordering pictures/photos, gives the best result as the card has some 'give' in it. I embossed just a fraction inboard of both trailing and leading edges.

Once all that was done, a pounce wheel was run along the resultant grooves, making sure I didn't press too hard and break the outer surface of the skins. This will simulate the knots tied along the ribs.

Next job was to glue some thin 10thou strips into the grooves to prevent them from collapsing when the skins are attached to their cores.

The skins were then attached to the cores using contact adhesive, with a thin bead of cyanoacrylate run around the edges. Once everything was dry, the leading edges were rounded with a file/sandpaper and we were ready for the next part.

Glenn.

Glenn,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :bow:

I was wondering how I was going to make the ribs on my next scratch built model. This method looks great.

Thank you so much.

Sharing tips like this is one of the reasons I like this forum so much.

Stephen

I'm glad you like the model so far.

Now we'll have a go at making the wings.

The basic shapes were cut from some 3/16" balsa sheet, slightly undersize, to allow for the later 'skinning'.

PICT0418-1.jpg

Shaping the top surface was done with a sharp knife and some sandpaper, a messy job, with shavings and dust everywhere.

PICT0419-1.jpg

The underwing surface is concave and to get this shape I wrapped some sandpaper around a circular plastic container and sanded, spanwise, until the desired shape was achieved - another dusty job.

PICT0420-1.jpg

Wing skins were marked and embossed using the same method as per the tail surfaces. I ruined one A4 sheet of 10thou card by embossing on the wrong side, the joys of scratchbuilding!

PICT0421-1.jpg

Once cut from the sheet, the trailing edges of the skins were 'flared' a little on the inside to give a sharper and better joint once the skins come together.

PICT0422-1.jpg

The wingtip cores were made from some shaped 30thou plasticard sheet and attached to the wood cores with cyano. Two thin strips of 30thou have also been attached to the leading edges at this time, the strips being just a fraction wider than the cores. The wing skins will butt up against these strips and the leading edges will be shaped after the skins are on.

PICT0423-1.jpg

Now, here comes the tricky bit, attaching the skins with contact adhesive. You have one, and only one, chance of getting these skins on correctly, so great care is taken.

Luck was on my side, all skins went on as planned -phew!!

PICT0424-1.jpg

Glenn.