Tamiya A6M3 Model 22 Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Looks great so far!

piva4.jpg

Im not sure.................although that IJA brown would probably be a logical choice in a lot of scenarios, even though the pic is B&W, it looks to me maybe more like a worn black? Or would the US guys even bother repainting something like that?

Righto

Just about to start some more work plumbing the firewall, but in the meantime I have been tidying up my exterior. Needed to do a little shim and rescribing work around the wing to fuse joint. Pretty happy with it now, just got to scribe a couple of panel lines and final rivet detail. I am hoping you wont know Tamiya didn't originally do this version!

Finished fitting the Eduard flap wells ready to glue the ribs in now

zero%20005_zpsb7bdehye.jpg

Also tidied up the trailing edge fillet and CMK fuel cell bay

zero%20007_zps6b49uxt9.jpg

Here you can see my shims in the stbd leading edge....not sure what went wrong there, I am putting it down to mixing the 2 kits together and I suspect this piece to be correct came from the A6M5.

zero%20011_zpsi5sm8yxr.jpg

Boxed around the CMK wheel wells earlier in prep for brackets and plumbing etc.

zero%20009_zpsrqwii7k3.jpg

Starting to look like an A6M3-Model 22 now

zero%20010_zpszclhvak7.jpg

zero%20014_zpsrkomqros.jpg

As always crappy photography courtesy of myself in a rush!

Off to look at engine and firewall details on the 'net' and Mals build

Thanks for looking in as always

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks guys, that is all great info!

However my machine has dark blades so I was thinking very dk brown(almost black) with yellow stripes?

piva4.jpg

Mal, that looks like a great thread, I am going to go and have a decent look soon...thank you.

Thomas, thanks for the compliment, it has been on the shelf of doom for a long time.  The Airfix Mosquito was getting intense with riveting the ailerons so I needed a change of scenery.

Le Lapin Mal, youe mate you have got great spotting skills!  I am rebuilding ex RHKAAF/HKGFS Auster WE552/HKG-4 to fly.  She has suffered badly at the hands of vandals, weather and would be restorers over the years but she is now way back on track to being in full airworthy health again. She has been a ground up rebuild to stock military config. Still a long way to go but I am making good steady consistent progress.  I would love to get the fuse fabriced next year some time. My bird was regularly flown by Sir Adrian Swire and SQN Ldr Ross Penlington.  Adrian gave me his pilots notes and Val (Ross's widow) gave me his pilots notes and several other bits n pieces.

Now you can see why it takes me so long to progress on model planes!

Cheers guys

Anthony

Welcome to my world, Anthony! With the restoration of the Luscombe, I am not getting as much bench time as I would like. Well, that and the Luscombe Affair website got hacked and had to be scrapped. I am still playing with the UH-60J, trying to get some decent parts made for it.....Nothing photo worthy yet....

This Zero is looking sweet! Please keep the updates coming....when you can.....

THOR    :ninja:

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Ryan

I was wondering if you could let me know if one of these land based birds would have still had the hook still fitted (I think not)?  So if not would there be a simple plate covering the well or was the well left open....or was it simply not there from factory?

I have no idea and would appreciate your help.

Cheers
Anthony

Hello Anthony,

Glad to help. From everything I have found the tail hooks were almost never removed from any of the land-based Zeros. All Type 22 Zeros were made by Mitsubishi so the tail hook would have been made by Mitsubishi itself or by Nippon Ketetsu, a Mitsubishi subsidiary located in Tokyo. The Mitsubishi tail hooks tail hooks had the main shaft painted with green aotake whereas the Nippon Ketetsu tail hook shaft was painted the same colour as the aircraft exterior. In both cases the steel attachment mechanism at the front of the shaft and the hook itself were semi-gloss black. The inside of the tail hook well was  the same as the underside camo colour of the airplane.

Ryan

Ryan, you are a legend mate!  Thank you very much for this info, I really appreciate it.

One final thing, I dont suppose you have a photo of any Zero with the side accessory panel off behind the cowl flaps?  I am in particular looking for how the panel was fastened along the top edge. Tamiya kit just gives you a strip of plastic rebated behind the upper cowl piece that the plastic side panel rests on top of.

I am not sure I made very good sense explaining that... You can see what I am talking about on the last photo of mine on post 48 above.

Cheers and thank you

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Big Thank You to Ryan (A6M) and my good friend Damon Edwards in Auckland.

Between the 2 of them I have my perplexing questions answered.

Firstly the accessory panel behind the engine cowl is a butt join along the top edge

Second, this particular airframe still survives at the Auckland War Memorial and Damon went down and photographed her from nose to tail for me and answered some questions. One that was confirmed by what Ryan mentioned was the well for the rear hook was there, but because this was a bitza (in the field made up of 2 airframes for a Kamikaze mission just as the war ended) I could not be entirely sure what was the hook situation. Anyway, here is one of Damons photos

WP_20160409_15_21_04_Pro_zpsrpu1wnpf.jpg

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the efforts you went to to help me out!!

Onwards and upwards.....

Cheers

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Turning A6M5 cowl flaps into A6M3 ones

DSC_0018_zpskj7c7bqy.jpg

Once I have finished off the other sidw I will prime with Mr Surfacer and restore ant lost rivet detail.

I have been going all around the model finishing up a pile of little jobs that weren't quite finished and have started working on the accessory bay behind the engine, there is a lot of work to be done in here, but should be fun! I am only having the port side panel off so that will save me a little work in some areas.

DSC_0021_zps3ffbbqvu.jpg

As always thanks for looking in...

• 2 years later...

LOL....I got a shock to see this again!

Ummm, where am I up to with this??  Probably since the last pics I have started plumbing the engine accessory bay and working on the photoetch for the engine.  I think it was the photoetch that did my head in lol.  

This one really is quite close to paint now, I think the scheme scared me to paint and look realistic...but I think I could do it now.

Sooo many projects, so little time!  I wish I was retired!