Tamiya A6M3 Model 22 Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Ok, bit of an update today.

Got the Aires cockpit pretty well fitting spot on. I must say that Aires sets have definately got better with fit more recently. I think it was just my extra fussyness that made my life a little more difficult than it needed to be on this one.

My photography is not that great on these 2 but you get the idea.

zero4001.jpg

zero4006.jpg

Getting close to laying some paint down now. Just doing some final tuning on the wing to fuse join with all the resin already fitted. Pretty good but some areas need a little work for an almost perfect wing to fuse join (which is pretty amazing considering I messed around with various bits from each kit....a real testament to Tamiya).

The floor is not glued in yet but the rear bulkhead is

Oh...I just splashed out and brought the Osprey Modelling book on the Zero on ebay as it looks like it has some good stuff on building the 32nd Tamiya '5' with extra bits in it.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Very nice work Anthony!

Oh...I just splashed out and brought the Osprey Modelling book on the Zero on ebay as it looks like it has some good stuff on building the 32nd Tamiya '5' with extra bits in it.

Yep, it's a great book, with some highly inspirational modelling.

Kev

Guest Nigelr32

STOP IT!!! Stop building this kit now!!!

I have one in my stash, and you're tempting me to get it on the bench. I have a HE111 to build!!

I'm going to ban myself from your thread now!!!

Nice to see you back in the saddle Anthony had a couple of months of this summer as well.

Regarding the A6M3 that does have alot of detail, just like all the other replies cant wait to see it painted. :popcorn:

Regards

Richard

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I am hopefully going to lay the base of Mr Color Mitsubishi green down in the next couple of days in prep for detail painting etc......no pressure eh!

Thanks again for following along

Cheers

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, quick update.

The cockpit has been sprayed a base Mr Color Mitsubishi cockpit green and then highlighted with a lightened version to give 'depth'. I have started detail painting and have done a little chipping and scratches in the cockpit to show wear with my prismacolor silver pencil. Although this aircraft was undoubtedly 'tired' I have found it difficult to not get too carried away with weathering the cockpit.

I am close to closing the cockpit closed up, but will take some photos soon.

But just an update to advise it is still moving forward.

I need to get cracking as my Aires 32nd Skyhawk bits will be here any day and I dont want to get too sidetracked.....

Photos soon

Cheers

Anthony

• 1 month later...
Guest Ta152H1

Ok, got some more done today (can you tell I am on holiday!)

I decided to open up the hand holds up near the lower edge of the canopy as well as the foot step (the verticle rectange). I still have to open up a smaller step at the wingroot as well as lower the step below the trailing edge. As you can see I backed the step opening with plastic card.

I also opened up the panel for the ground power plug(?) and inserted the CMK panel behind it after I thinned the sidewall to wafer thin to represent the aircraft skin.

Hi Anthony,

what you call "ground power plug" is a fitting installed by the Russian team that has been involved in the restoration/rebuilding of one of the Zeros featured in the Mushroom book and it's neither original nor period.

Heree you go a few pictures of what hides behind the oval inspection hatch.

HTH

Cheers

1.jpg

int2.jpg

int1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi

I know my model building is all over the place (yes Dave I am going to do an update soon as I have actually been working on this too)

Quick question....I am looking at getting the new Tiger Models Zero seat and some colour etch belts. Would anyone know if an airframe like this is an IJN or IJA airframe as I need to know which belts to get.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Quick question....I am looking at getting the new Tiger Models Zero seat and some colour etch belts. Would anyone know if an airframe like this is an IJN or IJA airframe as I need to know which belts to get.

The Zero is a naval plane so it would be IJN......BUT are you going to build a Nakajima or a Mitsubishi build Zero?????? They have different seatbelts.

This site might be useful too.....it's in Japanese but if you if you click on the link in the "index" and on some numbers at the bottom of certain pages you'll see some very nice pics.( details)

Before I forget, there are a few pics of an unrestored canopy frame ( inside) it's not interior green.....

http://www10.ocn.ne.jp/~a6m232/

P.S I have edited this post for at least four times, to correct some grammar misstakes..... so if I left any, my apologies.....English is not my native language....

Best regards.

Edited by Plasticsurgeon

• 2 years later...

Looking at Mals build I realised I had not updated this one in a long time. So I quickly snapped a pic of her in the cabinet to show she is about ready to paint.

IMG_0499_zpsc63c53c6.jpg

I have scratched a new firewall and inner u/c bits.....must finish this one day. Especially since the hard conversion work is now done and all the resin bits are in...

Oh Plasticsurgeon, it is a Mitsubishi built plane

Cheers

Anthony

EDIT: forgot to attach pic!

Edited by Anthony in NZ