Mig-21MF

LSP_K2

Intake shock cone has received a few dozen rivets (almost impossible to see in photo), and painted a bronzish color. The Trumpeter kit depicts the cone with the shroud removed, and no provision for the part is in the box. I think I may just let it ride like this, not real sure yet.

091611004.jpg

Oh Lordy! How did you get that interior colour? What's your recipe? That seat looks great too. This makes me want to crack out my MiG-21, but I have to be strong....

Thanks James. No recipe as such, just Gunze Emerald Green as a base, with dabs of Ohthalo Cyanine Blue, Yellow, & White until it pleased my eye. I tried to capture the spirit of, rather than any exactness of color. I like it. I mixed up a batch years ago that I really liked, but it's as hard as a diamond now.

My God man, I leave the house for a few hours and now I see all this spiffy pit work! Your a maniac....Harv :wow:

Thanks Harv, I'll take that as a compliment. :) I've decided that I cannot live with the awkward and inaccurate cone configuration, so I intend to fake up the missing shroud/fairing. It's been so long since I've done simple truncated cone flat plane geometry, I almost forgot how. :( I drew the fairing a bit long so I can just trim it to length.

Mig21shockcone.jpg

This is where I believe trumpeter may have gone wrong. Photo on left is without fairing, photo on right has it in place. (Photos scanned from Wings & Wheels Mig 21MF book. "Fair Use" terms and conditions are applicable and should be observed.)

MiG-21FishbedMFcone.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Nice work on the headrest. Russian sure know how to wake up the interior color. Side pane is starting to look nice and busy and I'm sure you're going to do a bit of dry brushing and some light weathering to pop the details.

Peter

Kev

Nice work on the headrest. Russian sure know how to wake up the interior color. Side pane is starting to look nice and busy and I'm sure you're going to do a bit of dry brushing and some light weathering to pop the details.

Peter

Probably just a dark gray wash and perhaps some bare metal worn areas. I don't want to get too nuts with it. As is typical, primer reveals several flaws that need repair; better to know now than later. Tank more or less faked as far as detailing goes.

091611006.jpg

Edited by Typhoonattack1

Kevin, I really like how the ejection seat turned out. May I ask what colors you used? I'm in a middle of painting the cockpit for the Flogger and not sure about what colors to use on ejection seat. TIA.

Mike

I can't really recall all the specific colors I used Mike, just a light blue for the frame, grays, khaki, medium green, tire black, and some silver/black mix, and a couple of dark washes basically. I was just trying to capture the feel of the seats' various colors rather than anything specific. i find that method works a lot faster for me sometimes, rather than trying to duplicate specific colors/shades.