Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade"

10 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Looks great Anthony! Love a good Kahu

What did you use to recreate the welds? Stretched sprue or something else?

Thanks very much!

I actually used Plastruct square section.  Why square section I hear you ask? Well it's because I get more contact with the gluing surface than I would with a round rod section.  Also when I sand it, it doesn't get thicker as it goes through the round section.  I used Plastruct 90709 which is 0.3mm (I would use thinner if I could find it).  I like this better than stretched sprue due to its consistency over long lengths.  I glue it with Sellys 'Quick FIX' as it is like a CA glue that brushes on.  I can flood the area and when it dries it leaves a nice radiused join between the surface and square section. By the time it is sanded down to a realistic thickness with my sponge sanders, coat with Mr Surfacer and sand again etc, I get a nice raised 'bump'  I sand until it matches the photos I have on hand.  

I tried scribing and inserting rod but I just could not get a nice edge around the beads etc.  But that was probably due to my incompetence and failing eyesight!

My other option was to use Archer welds, but they really looked more suited to an armoured vehicle than an aircraft....

Hope that helps and thanks for checking in!

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Ok so also managed to do some work on the Skyhawk as well today.  

Woody from Archer came up with an idea using a product from his range.  AR88013 'Resin Panel Lines' I cut backing paper very close to the line and it wrapped around the tank  perfectly with no wrinkles and using Mr Mark Setter flooded on. 

I have just put on the tightest weld bead and is sitting beautifully.  The hardest part is getting the line even without any wobbles in it, but I found a piece of plastic card curled round to closely match the dia and then gently chiselled up to the edge of the resin line straightened it all out.

IMG_0305_zpseq7tfcsd.jpg

I have to finish it off, but so far I think Woody's idea is a winner.  Machine weld beads are smooth and pretty even.  I think this will look brilliant under a coat of primer when finished

Cheers

Anthony

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Ok so also managed to do some work on the Skyhawk as well today.  

Woody from Archer came up with an idea using a product from his range.  AR88013 'Resin Panel Lines' I cut backing paper very close to the line and it wrapped around the tank  perfectly with no wrinkles and using Mr Mark Setter flooded on. 

I have just put on the tightest weld bead and is sitting beautifully.  The hardest part is getting the line even without any wobbles in it, but I found a piece of plastic card curled round to closely match the dia and then gently chiselled up to the edge of the resin line straightened it all out.

IMG_0305_zpseq7tfcsd.jpg

I have to finish it off, but so far I think Woody's idea is a winner.  Machine weld beads are smooth and pretty even.  I think this will look brilliant under a coat of primer when finished

Cheers

Anthony

That should look good

CJP

Ok tank is all welded up and this is fresh off a coat of Mr Surfacer

I am really happy how this turned out!  Perfect welds with Archer Panel Lines, such a great product

IMG_0319_zpsx9v0udmf.jpg

And sooooo easy to do.  A couple of little jobs to finish off and the 400 gal tank and pylon is done.

Cheers Anthony

Thanks guys!  I really appreciate all the encouraging feedback, really means a lot!

I am quite enjoying bouncing between this and the Mosquito.  I do need to see where we are at with the first test cast for the cockpit upgrade so I can refit and make sure I am happy with it.  Might start looking at the 'hell holes' and where I need to start there for internal details.  There is still a lot to do before the fuse can be closed up.  But working on all these other bits is a good distraction and will mean that when the fuse gets buttoned up things will move fairly quickly

Cheers guys and thanks again!

Anthony

• 2 months later...