Worst war movie with good airplane scenes?

I will start this thread with my own vote: Operation Wolfhound!

It only used actual warbirds (Mustangs, B-17, B-25, Spitfire, Hurricane and Me109) but saying that the scenario is far-fetched is a major understatement. It is totally ridiculous and would have been vaguely acceptable in 1942 but surely not 80 years later! Acting is very bad, special effects laughable, characters are just caricatures, fights are worse than in video games, historical or military accuracy is replaced by pure fantasy and I can go on. So bad that it is somewhat funny, more particularly when you get the message 'inspired by true events' with a reference to KG200. If you want to look at a movie combining all the cliches, don't go further, you find it! :rolleyes:

I take a real guilty pleasure in the fact that I loved Fly boys and watched it multiple times even though experts panned it for incorrect planes and other issues.  Also Red Tails was better the second time I watched it than the first.  Not sure that speaks to the point but both are considered in the lower grade of War movies, but contrary to what is popular I love Fly Boys still and liked Red Tails better the second time around.  

I'm gonna throw this one into the ring.....

The first Top Gun movie.

"Hey, guys, can you go and have a dogfight with Soviet fighters, start WW3 and subsequently be responsible for the horrible deaths of billions of people? No, of course not, no-one will ever blame you for what's happened...."

Amazing flying-sequences, but the story is pure Hollywood wish-fulfillment and utter BS. 

I will now brace myself for an avalanche of "Hey, it's only a damned movie!" protests.  

Cheers. 

Chris. 

PS: The sequel is only a bit better than the original, in this regard:

"Hey, who are we bombing?".

"I dunno, but it can't be Iran, as they have mountains and snow on the ingress-route!"

"Yeh, but they have Tomcats!".

"Shut up, that's not relevant!"

"But what about our enemy's most-advanced fighters?"

"No idea who made those! We'll just keep calling them Fifth Generation Fighters and leave it at that!"

"By the way, Maverick, didn't you destroy a multi-billion dollar, experimental airframe through your own, irresponsible actions..... and suffer exactly NO real consequences from that situation?"

"Er, no Sir.... that was someone else."

NO OFFENCE intended, folks!

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Amending some information

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Hard to say, but the Iron Eagle movies are pretty gruesome to watch, as aircraft seem to get magically armed in mid-flight, and/or finish the mission with more weapons than they started out with.

Zackly where I was gonna go 

633 Squadron was pretty crappy, all in all.  And I didn’t much like Dunkirk, either.  Had it not been for Jimmy Stewart, B-36s and B-47s, Strategic Air Command would have been pretty bad.  And then there’s Into the Unknown and maybe even that movie about sinking the Bismarck.  Oh!  And Jet Pilot with John Wayne and some gal!  That one was pretty crappy.

Oh crap!  And Final Coutdown, the time traveling precursor to Top Gun.  The best parts of Top Gun were the shots of the gun firing that was supposed to be Mav or Ice taking hits and that great big round gauge in the aft cockpit that said Empty and Full that Goose keeps tapping while saying, “Mav, we don’t have the gas for this.”  BTW, has anyone seen Kelly Mac Guinness lately?  Oh my.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Hard to say, but the Iron Eagle movies are pretty gruesome to watch, as aircraft seem to get magically armed in mid-flight, and/or finish the mission with more weapons than they started out with.

When I was 12 or 14 and the first Iron Eagle Movie came out it looked pretty good to me but as I recall some of the cockpit stuff even to my eye looked fake.  But still as a teen I liked the movie.

Well guys, it looks I have seen all the movies you mentioned except some later Iron Eagle ones but I have to say I'm still thinking operation Wolfhound is on the top of the podium! This makes me think the producer and director had probably two groups of friends, one piloting warbirds and another using to play as WW2 SS and Wehrmacht reenactors. It looks both considered that was more than sufficient to make a 2 hours war movie!

10 minutes ago, Christa said:

Great thread, one question.

Was Top Gun the movie that swelled U.S. Navy pilot recruitment back then?

Yes

My choice(s) for worst are Pearl Harbor and The Green Berets. 

9 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I'm gonna throw this one into the ring.....

The first Top Gun movie.

"Hey, guys, can you go and have a dogfight with Soviet fighters, start WW3 and subsequently be responsible for the horrible deaths of billions of people? No, of course not, no-one will ever blame you for what's happened...."

Amazing flying-sequences, but the story is pure Hollywood wish-fulfillment and utter BS. 

I will now brace myself for an avalanche of "Hey, it's only a damned movie!" protests.  

Cheers. 

Chris. 

PS: The sequel is only a bit better than the original, in this regard:

"Hey, who are we bombing?".

"I dunno, but it can't be Iran, as they have mountains and snow on the ingress-route!"

"Yeh, but they have Tomcats!".

"Shut up, that's not relevant!"

"But what about our enemy's most-advanced fighters?"

"No idea who made those! We'll just keep calling them Fifth Generation Fighters and leave it at that!"

"By the way, Maverick, didn't you destroy a multi-billion dollar, experimental airframe through your own, irresponsible actions..... and suffer exactly NO real consequences from that situation?"

"Er, no Sir.... that was someone else."

NO OFFENCE intended, folks!

Whilst agreeing with everything you say.. I still loved them! ;)

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Oh!  And Jet Pilot with John Wayne and some gal!  That one was pretty crappy.

Janet Leigh (whoever cast her must have been psycho :whistle:). I thought the story was rubbish,  but loved the scenes of F-86As, F-89, and a lit more 1950s USAF inventory. I thought the MiG looked suspiciously like a T-33 as well ...

Edited by MikeC

Well, movies evolved a lot, at least in theory. So, looking at Jet pilot with our eyes is a little bit misleading. Obviously we can say it is aged. I'm far less tolerant with recent movies that are allegedly referring to historical events but are terrible without even a tongue in cheek tone...