Tamiya F-16C - Block 50 w/Upgrades - FLOOR 1: Jug 0....

Ok, here we go....

This is my latest attempt at the F-16 by Tamiya.  I tried the Thunderbirds kit a long, long time ago but got stressed out and binned it (this was long before it went OOP).  Fast forward to now...I saw the latest Have Glass V scheme on the Block 50 aircraft and decided to:

• Create a model based on the HG V scheme
  • Create decals for at least one aircraft (I ended up creating markings for three so I have a choice).
  • TBD - I've still got some outstanding decals to create, mostly stencils for the pylons and things like that.

Aside from the F-16 kit, I've assembled a good selection of aftermarket to include:

• Quinta Studios F-16 cockpit set
  • Phase Hangar Resin JHMCS sensor (for the canopy rail)
  • Reskit AIM-120Cs
  • Reskit AIM-9X
  • Reskit GBU-54 bombs
  • Reskit BRU-57 SMART bomb rack
  • Reskit F110-GE Exhaust Nozzle (Open)
  • Wolfpack Aces II Seats (Late)
  • Eduard GBU-39 Small Diameter Bombs w/BRU-51 rack

I'm still on the hunt for Master AOA probes and possibly, a set of static dischargers although I can probably create these myself with the stainless rod and tube I have in-house...we'll see.  I'd love to get a set of stabilators from Kopecky Scale Models but I'm too late there...all sold out.

So, where to start?  I decided on the AN/ALQ-131(V) deep pod... No particular reason other than it's as good a place as any.  The Reskit 131 pod looks absolutely fantastic in the box and when coupled with the Kopecky Scale Models AN/ALQ-131 pylon, it'll be dynamite! There are three main parts, the two ends and the body...simple.  The fit is pretty good.

RcoWg6m.jpg

The mounting lugs, electrical connection (at least that's what I think it is) and the 4 stabilizer points (again, not knowing what they're actually called) fit into the drilled holes on the top.  Each part has positive locating pins and in order to make sure it fits correctly, you need to have the pylon you're going to use handy or you may be sorry later on.  The electrical connection (immediately in front of the forward mount lug) sits in a recessed box; again, with a positive locator on the parts. 

HPfEsV0.jpg

I'm trying to make my photographs informative (like the ones Chuck does in his builds) so I've added commentary to the photos.  Next up will be primer and a coat of 36375, gloss coat then decals.  Yes, the Reskit pod (and indeed a lot of their other items) come with decals.

Edited by Juggernut

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, John1 said:

Should be a nice build.   Didn’t know those pods were green, thought they were white.  

Well, according to jmel in his F-16C/D book, say that FS 36375 (Lt. Ghost Grey) is the most common but here's a shallow 131 that's in green.

LYhOs2h.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

2 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Well, according to jmel in his F-16C/D book, say that FS 36375 (Lt. Ghost Grey) is the most common but here's a shallow 131 that's in green.

LYhOs2h.jpg

Nice, you nailed the green shade.   Adds a bit of color to the jet as well.   

2 hours ago, dustiepal said:

When I tried to fit the Wolfpack ACES II seats in my Tamiya F-16 they where to wide. Hope yours fit, sounds like a great project.

Dave

Thanks, I'll be looking out for that....IF they don't fit, I'll resort to the kit seat and modify it accordingly.

• Juggernut changed the title to Tamiya F-16C - Block 50 w/Upgrades - FLOOR 1: Jug 0....
Posted (edited)

Well, I knew it was going too well when I got to the decal stage of the 131 pod.... Disaster this evening.  I finished applying the decals and had put a coat of Micro Sol on them to let them set....  Was admiring my work when all of sudden, slippery fingers showed himself and the pod, fully assembled and almost finished flew out of my hands and landed on the concrete floor and after a brief noise that sounded like several beetles being stepped on, I had instant AN/ALQ-131 kit.:BANGHEAD2: 

As I opened my eyes and looked down, I saw pieces of resin all over the floor... I immediately got down on my hands and knees (and at my age, that is saying something by itself!) and began to pick up the pieces.  What you'll see below is my attempt at resurrecting the pod (unsuccessfully), the dust specs  are from the damn floor.  I could've repaired it but I don't have another set of decals to use....  Thank God Sprue Brothers has them in stock.  When it gets here, I'll give it another go.  Until then, I did have some success with the ECM pod pylon, a couple of shots of that toward the end.... I did replace the sway brace stabilizers with brass rod, plastic hex rod, and punched plastic dics. I broke the ones that came on the sway braces while test fitting the ECM pod to the pylon.  The decal on the pylon is completely fictional (and home-made) but is  based on images in Jake's book on the F-16C/D.

iwPAz21.jpg

UG2YyIH.jpg

ld9TVeh.jpg

JyTZs8f.jpg

rwULCWu.jpg

hSAzoj4.jpg

zyI6IBi.jpg

Edited by Juggernut