No New 1/32 Tamiya Plane this summer

cbk57

I have been watching for new product announcements hoping like all of you for a interesting new 1/32 release.  Shizuoku is coming up in May and Tamiya has the announcement on their Japanese website but with no products listed yet. 

I found a posting today that Tamiya would be issuing a 1/35 scale M10 Tank destroyer, so I started combing the interweb for the product list.  Finally found one chaining through Armorma, allied armor discussion page and one of the posters has posted the new products being circulated in Japan.  The list covers Tamiya, Aeoshima and Hasegawa.  Several interesting subjects in the list to me, but none are 1/32 Airplanes.  Sorry but I think now we are waiting until fall for a variant of the Mosquito. 

On the other hand other manufacturers are likely to introduce kits in 1/32 this year that will certainly give you the chance to spend your hard earned dollars on great subjects.  I just don't think we are going to get an all new Tamiya kit.  I feel I can say that with 95% certainty at this point.

Rumour has it that they were planning the Mossie Mk.IV bomber and this was likely to materialse later this year, but Tamiya does what Tamiya wants to do and it's just as likely it'll be no show. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if it's a reboxing with extra parts and new decals for an NF.II.

Back in the 'Nineties and early 'Noughties we were wondering what new Tamiya modern jets would come out each year. Including new bits in old kits we got a Tomcat, three Eagles, two Fighting Falcons and five Phantom IIs. Then after eleven kits it all went deadly quiet. It took a couple of years for us to realise it was all over.

I'm not saying that's what's happening and I hope I'm proved wrong, but on the other hand I wouldn't hold your breath.

Tony

I would not be surprised to see a fall release of a variant.  It seems like they have been in a pattern lately that if they are doing an all new 1/32 kit, it is announced at Shizuoka in May with a july/August release.  If they are doing a variant of an existing kit they seem to announce in the fall and release by December. 

I only saw two items of note on the list, a 1/24 Ferrari which is a variant and the M10 Tank Destroyer which I expect to be an all new kit.  I am interested in the Tank Destroyer as I have always like Sherman variants and will probably build one. 

Anyway hopefully they won't leave the 1/32 market.  It does not surprise me that they are not doing a major new kit this year as the just released the Mosquito last year.  Anyway I bet we all have something to work on until something new comes out.  I could build for a couple years and buy nothing new personally just from what I have on hand.

This news is disapointing to some.  Me, Myself and I have at least 10 kits with higher priority in our $ que... most are resin between the wars, a new huricane MK II and a few WNW kits that could become unobtainium at any time soon.

Rick

Not surprised. Shizuoka seems to be their go-to for totally new subjects. New variants are debuted elsewhere. For example the F4U-1A was debuted in September 2014.

If they carry on their trend, we should see a Mossie variant this fall and then a completely new tool something for Shizouka in 2017. 

I guess that no-brainer F4U-1D is never happening...

I know that Tamiya do release a fantastic kit, when they do release a kit.

I also know that the Trumpeter kits aren't as accurate, but they do release kits quite often, and they also enable you to so others how good a modeller you are by fixing the kit!

I'd love a new Tamiya jet, but it might be a long, long wait.

:( If true then I will not be a happy camper. Was hoping for a -1D Corsair.

I'm seriously doubting Tamiya ever does one at this point. I mean if they were going to...the main differences are the frameless malcolm hood and the rocket stubs.

I'm kinda surprised we haven't had an aftermarket company do a conversion yet.

I'm seriously doubting Tamiya ever does one at this point. I mean if they were going to...the main differences are the frameless malcolm hood and the rocket stubs.

I'm kinda surprised we haven't had an aftermarket company do a conversion yet.

I expect the after market folks have been holding off because Tamiya MIGHT release a -1D. NOW maybe someone will come out with a conversion. New frameless canopy, rocket stubs and bomb racks is all that would be needed.

Well personally I'm not to bothered if they don't release anything soon considering I was so excited for the Mossie that I bought it the day it landed in Canada and started it July 25th, 2015 and I am still only half done 9 months later and I also have an incomplete Tamiya Zero and Spitty to finish plus the Corsair,  if there was a new release I might finish it sometime after 2025