1/32 Tamiya F-4E

I agree - great job dude

How did you replicate the worn surface on the top of the intakes - and the different colours on the silver parts of the tail?

ads

Thanks.

To get a rough anti-skid surface, I used textured Rustoleum paint in a rattle can.

Walkway2.jpg

After painting and a coat of Future for decals, I sanded through the paint a bit to get down to the textured surface, which was previously sanded down for scale...

Future3.jpg

For the rear titanium panels, I sumply used a variety of Alclad colors with various areas masked off according to references. The striped look is due to a anti-corrosion coating they applied to the rivet lines, which is why the stripes are darker than the other panels, especially as this coating attracts dirt. I think the central panel which is usually darker may be made of something a bit different than the other titanium panels?

Stabilator1.jpg

For the mottled look of the metal panels above and the rest of the jet, I used salt as a mask, turning a pristine paint finish like this...

Decal1.jpg

To this (leading edge of stabilizer was sprayed with Alclad for wear effect)

Wx4.jpg

To a well weathered look like this...

Wx11.jpg

I did this to just about all the upper surfaces of the jet. I salt mask all my builds, including the weathering effects you can see on my Mustang. Nothing replicates random staining like random salt masking!

Edited by chuck540z3

Cool! Very nice.

Out of curiosity, what did you over-spray the the salt with, just flat clear?

For the overspray, I use diluted paint. This is usually heavily thinned lighter and darker versions of the base color, but sometimes dark umber if I want a dirty look. It's a very artsy stage of the build I enjoy the most, because this is how you can really make your model unique.

Edited by chuck540z3

Fantastic.

What is the "belly strap"? I have read about this and am unclear whether it goes on the outside or inside the model?

The "Belly Strap" or "Wing Strap" is a reinforcement plate assembly installed on all F-4E's during the leading edge slat retrofit. "It is present on jets up to and including F-4E 71-0236. Beginning with 71-0237, the wings were reinforced internally and the strap was no longer required.". (jake Melampy, The Modern Phantom Guide).

Here's a pic of the Nautilus vinyl strap and where it goes..

Bellystrap1-Copy.jpg

I modified it a bit with rivet detail and some trimming to match pics of the real deal.

Bellystrap2-Copy.jpg

I also added some reinforcment plates around the landing gear out of spare vinyl material left over from the straps...

Wingtank4-1.jpg

New rivet detail...

Wingtank5.jpg

The "Belly Strap" or "Wing Strap" is a reinforcement plate assembly installed on all F-4E's during the leading edge slat retrofit. "It is present on jets up to and including F-4E 71-0236. Beginning with 71-0237, the wings were reinforced internally and the strap was no longer required.". (jake Melampy, The Modern Phantom Guide).

Are we talking 1960s VN era?