1/32 Tamiya F-4E

Here is a bit of an "oldy" I made last year for your review.

This is a representation of F-4E 68-0393 when it was stationed at Ramstein Germany for “Tactical Air Meet” in 1980, or “TAM80” as it was called. I chose this subject because I wanted SEA camo paint, leading edge slats and a shark mouth, so this post-Vietnam bird fit the bill on all counts. Yes, I know that the inboard slats are usually down in the parked position, but they weren’t all the time and I even have some pics to prove it! :)

I threw everything but the kitchen sink at this project as well and did a lot of scratch building, especially in the cockpit, front gun and drag chute areas. Aftermarket parts and accessories included:

• DMold 32001 Seamless Intakes.
• Eduard Photo-Etch Everything, including:

1. 32079 (X2) Ejection Seat.

2. 32511 (X2) Ejection Seat.
3. 32080 Exhaust.

4. 32503 Interior.
5. 32509 Placards.
6. 32531 Formation Light.
7. 32073 Exterior.

• Burner nozzles from “Fox3tornado” on ebay (Joe Lortie), heavily modified with the Eduard etch kit above
• AirDoc decals and stencils. Early USAF F-4’s in Germany
• Hobbydecal dry transfer stencils
• Hobbydecal pitot tube and AOA probe
• Cutting Edge CEC32024 slatted wing conversion set
• Nautilus Models belly strap
• Plastic World Modeling NBR 3211, F-104 bomb dispensers (2), converted into SUU-21 bomb dispensers
• Isradecal AVQ-23 Pave Spike pod
• Avionix F-4E Cockpit, AV32019
• Quickboost F-4 seats, QB 32 069
• 1/32 Tamiya F-4EJ Phantom #60314 Kit. This is the same kit as the regular F-4E, but it has both regular plastic and clear plastic for the nose section. For all my re-scribing and rivet work, the regular plastic option is a must.

If this Phantom looks familiar, this build was featured in Fine Scale Modeler magazine in the November and December 2012 issues and it's at the top of their web site right now. Almost all the pics in the magazines are of in-progress shots, so here's bunch that never made it into the article. Also, any shine you see is due to the strong overhead lighting I used. The finish is all flat dullcoat, but it's also smooth, so any focused light reflects a bit too strongly. The close-up pics show the look of the real finish, which attempts to replicate a bit of a tired F-4E just before full retirement.

FuselageLarge2.jpg

FuselageLarge6.jpg

FuselageLarge13.jpg

FuselageLarge5.jpg

FuselageLarge8.jpg

RearTop12.jpg

FuselageDetail7.jpg

FuselageDetail16-1.jpg

FuselageDetail6.jpg

FuselageDetail9.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Spectacular Chuck! I'm not much of a jet guy, but this is really awesome. Do you think we'd get away with publishing this one on the website? Or is it too soon after the FSM gig?

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

Absolutely a brilliant and spectacular build. The subtle weather is right on the money and just one gorgeous Phantom.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Chuck, excellent build. If you took pictures of it against a backdrop so it appeared to be sitting on a flightline at a low angle it would be hard to tell it was a model. I would think I was looking at the real thing. Chuck what is going to be your next master piece???? Dan

Chuck,

STUNNING build. :wub:

Hi "MARU". I'd recognize all those emoticons anywhere! It's good to have old friends around in a new place. Thanks.

Spectacular Chuck! I'm not much of a jet guy, but this is really awesome. Do you think we'd get away with publishing this one on the website? Or is it too soon after the FSM gig?

Kev

Hi Kev,

I just re-read my FSM contract for the F-4E and, to be safe, we better not. I have apparently assigned "internet rights", whatever that means, which might be crossing the line if another third party was to "publish" something. I'm pretty sure I can post whatever I want of my own work (like this post), but anything else is likely asking for potential trouble. To be safe, even though I haven't signed the new Mustang agreement yet, I need to withhold that one too. Sorry, but I'm honored that you'd even ask!

To everyone else, thank you very much for the kind words. I know that some of you have already seen my builds on ARC, but I assumed that many may have not, for the same reason I've never looked over here either! The focus on large scale planes, which is all I'm interested in-period, will now keep me checking back here more often. The skill level here is very, very high, so I'm sure I'll learn a lot of new tricks from you guys as I'll try to share some of mine I've learned along the way.

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi Kev,

I just re-read my FSM contract for the F-4E and, to be safe, we better not. I have apparently assigned "internet rights", whatever that means, which might be crossing the line if another third party was to "publish" something. I'm pretty sure I can post whatever I want of my own work (like this post), but anything else is likely asking for potential trouble. To be safe, even though I haven't signed the new Mustang agreement yet, I need to withhold that one too. Sorry, but I'm honored that you'd even ask!

I understand Chuck, no problem at all.

Kev

The F4 looks great and spot on and believe me when I say spot on because I was in Germany in those years working on yea the F4-E so from an old Phantom Crew Chief great job.

Cheers Murph...

The F4 looks great and spot on and believe me when I say spot on because I was in Germany in those years working on yea the F4-E so from an old Phantom Crew Chief great job.

Cheers Murph...

Thanks Murph. I neglected to mention that during my build- over 14 months- a great guy by the name of Scott Wilson of Appleton, WI, helped me every step of the way to try and get specific details correct. Scott used to work on the F-4E at Ramstein during this time period, so maybe you met him?

Here's a few more pics before I call it a day.

Gun6.jpg

Gun3-1.jpg

Cockpit11.jpg

Cockpit9.jpg

Cockpit3.jpg

FuselageDetail8.jpg

FuselageLarge25.jpg

FuselageDetail17.jpg

RearTop21.jpg

RearBottom1.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3