JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

• 1 month later...

Thanks for you kind words guys, much appreciated.

I haven't had a lot of bench time lately. I have restarted work on the intakes. So far it was mostly filling and sanding the inside surfaces in preparation for skinning with sheet aluminum. Nothing worth showing, though.

But the project is still alive and well ;-)

Cheers

Rainer

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Gents,

here is a small update on the Jaktviggen. Not much to show, but I had some success in forming the rudder actuator fairing from sheet aluminum. That worked really well.

I started with a makeshift female mould and a male former:

vstab_05.jpg

The male former looks quite awful, but that's because it's been used twice already when this pic was taken. The aluminium left some nasty black residue on the former.

I place a some sheet aluminium on the female mould and then stick that together with the male former in a vise. some brute force on my behalf then does the job:

vstab_04.jpg

And here is the result fresh from the press:

vstab_06.jpg

Fwd is to the right. There are some wrinkles at the bottom, but they are taken care of by some sanding, nothing to worry about.

Here is the fairing after some clean-up:

vstab_07.jpg

I'm quite happy with the result. Here it is on the vertical stabilizer:

vstab_08.jpg

The bottom doesn't conform to the airfoil of the stabilizer yet, but again, that's not a big deal. The fairing is still way too long. But it will be cut approximately at the dotted red line. The rear part then slides into the forward part, as is the case on the real deal. The fairing will then line up with the rudder trailing edge.

That's it for today.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

bloody hell - thats amazing Rainer :thumbsup:

I have tried similar things, but found I tore the metal as it couldn't take the 'drop' in the press - how did you avoid that as the female mould looks pretty deep?

an absolutely stunning result on such a complex bunch of curves - it's flawless

bravo - inspires me to look at making shapes another way

carry on!

Peter

bloody hell - thats amazing Rainer :thumbsup:

I have tried similar things, but found I tore the metal as it couldn't take the 'drop' in the press - how did you avoid that as the female mould looks pretty deep?

an absolutely stunning result on such a complex bunch of curves - it's flawless

bravo - inspires me to look at making shapes another way

carry on!

Peter

Peter, I guess It's the alloy and it's (heat?) treatment that makes the difference. I used a very soft 0.15 mm aluminium sheet that is used for embossing (that's a ladies thing...). I didn't even anneal the stuff. But I agree, I was worried it would tear during the process. After this experience I feel confident, that I can coax the stuff into pretty complex shapes.

Cheers

Rainer

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, not "only" styrene but also sheet metal work at its best!

Did you anneal the aluminum sheet?

Bye

No need to anneal the aluminium. It's very soft by nature. It's used for embossing, so it has to be soft. I get it at a local, non modelling related hobby shop.

Cheers

Rainer

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

some minor progress on the Viggen.

I installed the rudder actuator fairings. There is a large one on the left side and a smaller one on the right side of the vertical stab. Here are some pics:

vstab_09.jpg

vstab_10.jpg

vstab_11.jpg

vstab_12.jpg

Obviously there is some clean-up needed to remove glue residues, but I'm fairly happy with those fairings.

I also cut up the air intakes and prepared them for skinning with aluminium sheet:

intake_03.jpg

Some more sanding and I can start the skinning.

Here is a view of the compressor face as it would appear when seen from the front of the intake. The inner surface of the intake is not in place yet.

intake_04.jpg

Skinning those intakes will be a bear. I'm still not sure how I will tackle that. We'll see.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Rainer