JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

Thanks for the latest update, always a joy to follow this build which is my favourite on this forum. Your latest effort looks great but it looks like it's gonna be a PITA to paint it?

/Stoffe

That could be, Stoffe. But I'm looking forward to painting it nevertheless. I plan to paint it in Alclad Steel and then various shades of brown on top of that. We'll see...

Cheers

Rainer

Hi

Regarding the engine, do you know that page :

https://buscandoaborja.wordpress.com/category/sweden-suecia/linkoping-norrkoping-sweden-suecia/

Very good pictures of the internals...

V

I didn't know that page. Thanks a lot for the link. I already downloaded a couple of pics!

Cheers

Rainer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear fellow modellers,

it's been more than two month since the last update. But contrary to what you may think I was pretty busy :fight:

However, the construction of the flame holders of the RM-8B proved to be pretty difficult. What you'll see in the next pictures is the umpteenth version. I had to experiment a lot and I'm still not quite happy. But I decided to leave it as it is. After all not much of the flame holders will be visible because the thrust reverser will block the view partly.

Anyway, here is what I tried to build:

afterburner_0.jpg

Photo copyright by Luc Colin, if this considered copyright infringement, I will remove the picture asap.

My first idea was to do the flame holders as photo etch parts. But for 1:24 scale PE lacks the three dimensional effect I wanted to replicate. So I decided to use soft aluminium coaxed into shape over a former. In the end I used a female former instead of a male one, as was my first idea. The reason for that will become clear in the next pic:

afterburner_06.jpg

(1) is the male former from which I cast the female formers, like (2). I then pressed the aluminium into the grooves. Instead of cutting the wheels and spokes with a knive I simply sanded the "offending" metal down so that just the parts that make up the flame holders would remain. (3) shows the central flame holder in the process of sanding. (4) shows the outer flame holder after sanding and (5) is the inner flame holder removed from the former.

Of course the edges are still pretty rough at this stage, but some work with different needle files takes care of that. The next pic shows the cleaned up parts:

afterburner_07.jpg

Far from perfect, but I like the three dimensional effect.

The next picture shows the flame holder in place (with some paint) and the cylindrical sections of the afterburner can. Luckily (for me) the inner lining of the afterburner seems to be made from welded cylindrical sections, so I just did that as well (ok, they are not welded...):

afterburner_09.jpg

The sections can be stacked to form the afterburner can, like so:

afterburner_11.jpg

I painted the flame holders with Alclad Burnt Iron, Jet exhaust and some Gunze Bronce.

As I said before, I'm not completely satisfied but I'll live with it.

Next is the nozzle. Now, that will be another challenge...

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Rainer