Hasegawa has another new zero coming out but......

Juggernut

there seems to be a little issue with the subtype unless they've tooled the parts to make an earlier A6M5....  Their latest is an A6M5c while the new kit they're advertising is not.  I'm curious if they've added new parts to make a new kit or just reboxed their latest and threw in a different set of decals?  It's slated for December release in Japan so I guess we'll have to wait at least until the All Hobby Show in Japan later on this month, at the earliest, to find out.

http://hlj.com/product/HSG08245

I'm pretty sure it will be new. It's not like Hasegawa to try to pull off a different variant by just changing decals, especially with their more recent releases.

ETA: I'm keeping my fingers crossed that an A6M3 series won't be far off (but also realize that it would require even more changes).

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I'm hoping Hasegawa will go for a Rufe eventually and with some luck do a Rex also!!

Definitely in for a Suisen. I have the MDC conversion but would prefer plastic.

Really pleased to hear Hasegawa are doing more Japanese planes - they are so good at those.

Tony

That is the HLJ price, US imported price will probably be $60+.  No clue but I hope they have made the changes to make a A6m5 and with luck they will be doing an A6M3 also.  The market should be there in 1/32.

The Hase kit included some different bits which were not specific to the A6m5c, but rather the -5, so with a bit of research one can back-date the kit.

I was just going back to reviews and sprue shots to check on that, also. To me, the biggest visible difference is going to the armament layout in the wings. Not sure if they'll include an all new wing, or if you're going to have to fill in certain lines, rivets and ejection ports to model the earlier sub-variants without the second wing gun. :shrug:

John

I was just going back to reviews and sprue shots to check on that, also. To me, the biggest visible difference is going to the armament layout in the wings. Not sure if they'll include an all new wing, or if you're going to have to fill in certain lines, rivets and ejection ports to model the earlier sub-variants without the second wing gun. :shrug:

John

You'll also have to eliminate the rocket bomb rails underneath each wing and, depending on which version you're trying to replicate, change the right cowl gun port back to the original 7.7mm size.  I agree that the 13mm gun ports underneath the wings would need to be filled and the associated guns and ammunition loading panels removed.  The cowl would be the most challenging to backdate and even then, it wouldn't be too hard to accomplish.  All of these modifications are well within the average modelers abilities, if so inclined.  Until we see the plastic and instructions, we won't know for sure what Hasegawa has done to backdate the kit.  My personal hope is that they added new wing and cowl tooling for the earlier versions.  

If Hasegawa has invested in additional tooling, to me, it will indicate that Hasegawa is going after the A6M market and may indeed release earlier versions, including the A6M3.  The fuselage is already done for the A6M3 series (albeit needing a very few modifications), as are the engine, landing gear and tail feathers.  They only need do the wing (both the Model 22/22a and Model 32 wing), the cowl (it is different from that of the A6M5),associated cowl flaps and the exhaust collector ring.  To do those A6M's powered by the Sakae 12 engine, they'd need do everything except the wing (having done it for the A6M3 Model 22/22a and have us eliminate the outer wing fuel tank filler cap).  That may be a bit of a stretch for them at this point in time but I'm hoping.  I'd love to see the A6M2N Suisen.  Depending on how they would tool the A6M2 fuselage, it may or may not require a new fuselage tool for that one too.  I remain, as always, cautiously optimistic.

EDIT:  I also noticed that, at least in the art rendering in the above posted link, the drop tank is the earlier style as well. 

Edited by Juggernut

Yeah, I was just giving a brief overview on the wing, but am aware of all the differences. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect a different cowl, but I don't know of any of their kits where they've done an entirely different wing.

Otherwise, I'm sharing your optimism! :thumbsup:

John