F-117A Nighthawk (channelling my inner scratch builder)

Uilleann

Hey Uilleann,  I may be able to answer your question on the flash….it has to be there.  The flash is primarily where there are holes in a part.  Think of it as a thin separation wall keeping the molding rubber from coming together and making one solid part.  IF it did, then you could never remove the master from the mold as these rubber "fingers would be in the way.  The flash is actually a thin resin barrier that prevents this and keeps the mold into two sides, so that the part can be removed from the mold.    What is left is these thin walls of resin that are almost transparent.  You also see them where the mold sections come together and leak, just like Injection molds do.  I hope I have explained this so that it is understood and helps you out.  I am amazed that Aries can get the molds to release from all of the fine switch detail without it breaking off.  It tells me their technology must me pretty advance beyond just using a vacuum chamber and the do-it- yourself kits.

Anyhow, you have done a excellent job on the stock cockpit, and cannot go wrong either way….the only one you have to please is you.  Have a Merry Christmas,  Gary

Hey Uilleann,  I may be able to answer your question on the flash….it has to be there.  The flash is primarily where there are holes in a part.  Think of it as a thin separation wall keeping the molding rubber from coming together and making one solid part.  IF it did, then you could never remove the master from the mold as these rubber "fingers would be in the way.  The flash is actually a thin resin barrier that prevents this and keeps the mold into two sides, so that the part can be removed from the mold.    What is left is these thin walls of resin that are almost transparent.  You also see them where the mold sections come together and leak, just like Injection molds do.  I hope I have explained this so that it is understood and helps you out.  I am amazed that Aries can get the molds to release from all of the fine switch detail without it breaking off.  It tells me their technology must me pretty advance beyond just using a vacuum chamber and the do-it- yourself kits.

Anyhow, you have done a excellent job on the stock cockpit, and cannot go wrong either way….the only one you have to please is you.  Have a Merry Christmas,  Gary

Makes perfect sense Gary - thanks for the explanation.

Well, I've dealt with my flash demons, and have set to work repairing, cleaning up and prepping for paint on the new tub and rear bulkhead.  The two hydraulic pistons behind the bang seat had broken free in shipping and had to be reattached.  A spot of CA, and they're all set (not that they will be visible in the least when all is built and finished...but, well, I know they're there!)  I opened up the rudder pedal holes, and will be punching a few holes in the various components along the rear bulkhead to add a little more cabling.

Also added some of Peter's fantastic airscale instrument bezels to the PE parts (a quick shot of black on them to help me center the tiny little buggers) - as the Aires etch still seemed a bit too flat in relief to my eye.  The extra little bit of depth really helps the panel to jump out to me - right or wrong as it may be for the purists.  So far, I'm very happy with the quality and level of detail:

Aires11.jpg

Aires12.jpg

Aires13.jpg

Edited by Uilleann

Holy cow. Aires you rock.

Oliver

Agreed.  While there might be a couple of tiny inaccuracies with this update, they pale in comparison to the kit offering.  A definite improvement all around.  General fit and finish are superb, and with the exception of the one small area that cast too thin resulting in a hole where there shouldn't be...the finished pieces are all quality.  Detail is excellent, not a bubble to be found anywhere.  Probably the biggest "issue" was simply that all the bits were thrown together in a single bag, and packed into their box.  I believe this is what led to several parts separating from their intended locations during transit.  Even so, everything has been a quick repair so far.  I haven't had a chance yet to break out the bone saw and start the surgery to the kit fuselage and check the fit of the cowling and pit sidewalls...but I'm not expecting any major surprises there.  Was thinking of doing a bit of a mini-review...but my modeler's ADHD got the better of me, and I charged ahead with the first bits of construction and clean up before I took the time to photograph and document everything proper like.  :innocent: :doh:

Oh look...SHINY!   :frantic:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few minutes over the holiday to move on with things and the new Aires set.  At a quick glance, comparing the kit parts to the Aires tub,there isn't a large difference.  But with a closer look, the detail really pops out:

old-new-pit1.jpg

old-new-pit2.jpg

The 3 dimensionality of the Aires part really starts to show with a bit of close scrutiny...as does my need to seriously touch up my paint job!  :)

new-pit1.jpg

new-pit2.jpg

And that rear bulkhead...yummy.  With the addition of just a few more cables here and there and a tiny splash of PE - it is awesome to look at:

new-bulkhead.jpg

Nothing is weathered just yet of course, and as the old macro lens shows, I still have some work ahead to clean up my initial paint work here.  But I am liking the looks of it all so far.

Edited by Uilleann

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of work on the front panel.  The resin/PE combo is gorgeous, and Aires typical precision and attention to detail is very evident.  I wanted to add a touch more depth to things so I layered some of Peter's excellent airscale 1/32 PE bezels onto the PE from Aires.  A quick shot of white paint to the back of the printed acetate film, and a dip in Future to seal everything up and add some shine to the "glass".  Here's the result so far:

new-panel-1.jpg

new-panel-2.jpg

Still some work to do to finish everything up proper - but it's coming together. 

Cheers,

Brian~

Edited by Uilleann