Another Kotare Spitfire - Mk.I (Early)

Shoggz

23 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Looks good and I find it a very satisfying job, but lately I have been getting lazy with the YAHU sets.

Cheers

Dennis

Cheers Dennis. I have absolutely no aversion to Yahu sets either - they save so much time - but I just find it quite satisfying using the decals for this kit, as they are so good!

15 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Looking good Richard.  Thanks for sharing this with us. 

Thanks Troy - it's a pleasure.

15 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice work Rickard! Looks very nice! :)

I actually lost a few of the very small decals for the IP on mine! :)

Håkan

Thank you Håkan. Yes, they are quite tiny aren't they! My photo is magnified so much and I think it's a testament of how good they are that they still look realistic.

14 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Nice work on the seat and belts - Like you I decided to go green on the seat: After scouring t’internet for too long I could not find a single Mk1 seat image that looked close to black. Neat work on those belts.

Kind regards,
Paul

Cheers Paul. Yeah, I went with green as a 'balance of probability' thing.. and it made a change from painting a Spitfire seat 'bakelite red' !!

I'm probably in the minority, but I do prefer a good moulded on belt option. I can just never make PE belts look right and as for the fabric type ones - my modelling life is too short to fiddle with them!

Excellent progress so far.

I think your choice of seat colour is correct, if the seat was the early metal type it was green according to Edgar Brookes who was always  ‘ Mr Spitfire ‘ as far as I’m concerned.

John ( still waiting impatiently for the Mk V )

10 hours ago, Shoggz said:

Thanks Troy - it's a pleasure.

Thank you Håkan. Yes, they are quite tiny aren't they! My photo is magnified so much and I think it's a testament of how good they are that they still look realistic.

Cheers Paul. Yeah, I went with green as a 'balance of probability' thing.. and it made a change from painting a Spitfire seat 'bakelite red' !!

I'm probably in the minority, but I do prefer a good moulded on belt option. I can just never make PE belts look right and as for the fabric type ones - my modelling life is too short to fiddle with them!

I think I need more practice at painting molded on belts but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with them. I get along with metal belts but have not tried the fabric ones. 

The metal seat was made from aluminium and, most improbably, someone is making reproductions!

oNJV4o.jpg

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I think your choice of seat colour is correct, if the seat was the early metal type it was green according to Edgar Brookes who was always  ‘ Mr Spitfire ‘ as far as I’m concerned.

One of the striking things about Edgar Brookes’ investigations is that he always kept an open mind and let the evidence guide him. Suggesting the seat could be black is the only callout in Kotare’s 32001 kit that I can’t find truly convincing evidence for. 

Kind regards,
Paul

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Thanks John. I'm looking forward to any further marks they want to throw at us! A Mk.Vc would be especially welcome, mind ;)

9 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Suggesting the seat could be black is the only callout in Kotare’s 32001 kit that I can’t find truly convincing evidence for.

Hi Paul, I think it may be a reference re the padding that was usually on the seat.

Sometimes it was black ...

RXI40AL.jpg

LCJCnMA.jpg

YCJ8Pfc.jpg

Though these are not wartime photos,  they may represent what was .  :shrug: