Airfix 1/24th scale Spitfire MkIX

Posted (edited)

@Shoggz. Hi Richard, glad you enjoyed the fruits of my labours. ^_^

I'm grateful to you guys who paved the way and showed the hints and tips of how to get the best out of this kit. 

@TAG I'm very happy the photos made you look. 

I get a lot of enjoyment from trying to create convincing images of my models so it's rewarding to hear when folk enjoy them. 

@chaos07 I certainly hope there are one or two pointers or titbits that you can take from the WIP.

Please feel free to reach out if you think I can help with anything. 

I hope you share your build here. 

Remember, there's no such thing as too many Spitfires :DodgeBall:

:lol:

@Rod Bettencourt Hi Rod, thanks for stopping by. Glad you like the model, coming from someone like you who is a master at creating realistic views it means a lot. :blush:

Edited by geedubelyer

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 3:41 AM, geedubelyer said:

Hello all of you shiny, happy people. I hope everyone is well.

A little while ago Airfix released a large scale MkIX Spitfire in 1/24th scale. I was lucky enough to be at the launch event and was blown away by the look of the models on display.

I resolved there and then to treat myself to one. I got the kit in December 2023 and began it shortly after unwrapping it on Christmas day. 

The kit is substantial and relatively easy to build although it gets a tad unwieldy due to it's size so care must be taken in the latter stages of the build.

For a kit this size the detail is good. However, there are many aftermarket parts available that improve the look still more.

I opted to enhance the cockpit by scratch building a few elements and treating myself to the beautiful Airscale cockpit upgrade. To my mind this is a must for this model. 

It takes patience to assemble but improves the face of the cockpit no end. 

Another must for this build in my humble opinion. 

Airfix include a plethora of markings but for this build I turned to a combination of 1ManArmy masks and some custom masks kindly created for me by Mozart here on LSP. Many thanks Max:thumbsup:

I was hoping that painting the markings would give better results in this scale. All of the masks worked beautifully and the fidelity of the stencils needs to be seen to be believed. 

Add one more to the "must have" list for this build.

The 1ManArmy set replicates the markings offered in the kit but my aircraft depicts an aircraft of 412 RCAF sqdn. This squadron was formed in 1941 at RAF Digby in Lincolnshire which is only a stone's throw from where I live. 

Setting a couple of hiccups aside (I lost one of the Eduard exhaust stubs:doh:) I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. 

If I were to build another I'd definitely thin the aft lip of the ailerons. I'd also buy a set of turned brass cannons. Getting the two part plastic components round and filled was too much fuss. :lol:

For a kit assembler like me this Airfix product is nigh on perfect. 

Plaudits to them for giving us a very good representation of one of the most popular marques of Spitfire. 

Thanks for your time. I hope you enjoyed this. 

If you'd like a more in depth article please have a look here for the WIP thread. 

Cheers,

Guy

Well done!

May I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

@LSP_Ray, thank you. 

Yes, please do. It will be a thrill to see it posted on the website. 

Let me know if you'd like more images. I took a bunch but didn't want to bore people.

I still have the original colour versions of the b+w pics for example. 

Cheers,

Guy

That's really well done. Good photos too. :goodjob:

On 3/25/2024 at 10:41 AM, geedubelyer said:

Airfix include a plethora of markings but for this build I turned to a combination of 1ManArmy masks and some custom masks kindly created for me by Mozart here on LSP. Many thanks Max:thumbsup:

Welcome to the Dark Side :evil_laugh: Seriously, it does look so much better, and frees you from being restricted to what's  available in decals.  Yours look great.

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent build, Guy! And now the subject of this week's banner image on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/largescaleplanes

Kev

Wow! That's brilliant. Thanks Kev. It's an honour. 

1 hour ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

An excellent build.  :goodjob:

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael, many thanks. I'm thrilled that you've enjoyed seeing the model.

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

That's really well done. Good photos too. :goodjob:

Welcome to the Dark Side :evil_laugh: Seriously, it does look so much better, and frees you from being restricted to what's  available in decals.  Yours look great.

@MikeC. Thank you very much Mike.

You're spot on about masks being the future. 

I appreciate everyone's kind words. 

Cheers,

Guy 

On 4/4/2024 at 10:58 PM, geedubelyer said:

@LSP_Ray, thank you. 

Yes, please do. It will be a thrill to see it posted on the website. 

Let me know if you'd like more images. I took a bunch but didn't want to bore people.

I still have the original colour versions of the b+w pics for example. 

Cheers,

Guy

Article is posted!

Great job!

:clap2::clap2::clap2: