Boeing 747-436 ‘British Airways’

tomprobert

I’ve always enjoyed building civil aircraft and usually have one or two on the go alongside my longer term LSP builds. So here’s the latest civvy completion from me - Revell’s 1/144th scale Boeing 747-400 with DrawDecal’s British Airways decals. 

It’s been built out of the box, other than my usual mod to these kits in adding some height on the cockpit crown area with some Milliput to correct the profile. 

Although it’s getting a little long in the tooth now, the kit still builds reasonably well once excess flash is removed!

I was really sad when BA retired the 747 - not only is it one of my favourite commercial aircraft but I’d flown long-haul on them more than any other type and thought I’d do my own little tribute to ‘The Queen of the Skies’. The real thing was my last 747 flight when she brought me back from Australia once… the ‘Kangaroo Route’ is now 777 or 787 and it’s not quite the same. 

DSC_0257

DSC_0260

DSC_0262

DSC_0263

DSC_0265

DSC_0269

DSC_0271

DSC_0273

DSC_0278

DSC_0283

DSC_0300

DSC_0303

Long live the Queen!

All the best,

Tom

12 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Lovely work, Tom! Got a few of these in the stash myself. What did you use for the blue on the engines?

Kev

Cheers, Kev. Here in the UK we have a store called Halfords that does car accessories including paints. They’re aerosols but I use them regularly for my airliners. The blue is ‘Fiat Capri Blue’ which is an exact match for the current BA blue. It’s designed for cars but I usually find the right(ish) colour - they even mix paint for you if you have a sample. They did a fantastic effort with KLM blue for a 1/72nd 747 I did a few years ago. 

15 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Cheers, Kev. Here in the UK we have a store called Halfords that does car accessories including paints. They’re aerosols but I use them regularly for my airliners. The blue is ‘Fiat Capri Blue’ which is an exact match for the current BA blue. It’s designed for cars but I usually find the right(ish) colour - they even mix paint for you if you have a sample. They did a fantastic effort with KLM blue for a 1/72nd 747 I did a few years ago. 

Thanks, Tom. No Halfords here, but that blue looks a close match to the one I need for the engines on the Welsh 757:

i56kXT.jpg

Of course, I've got to sort out the engines first!

Kev

14 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I’ve always enjoyed building civil aircraft and usually have one or two on the go alongside my longer term LSP builds. So here’s the latest civvy completion from me - Revell’s 1/144th scale Boeing 747-400 with DrawDecal’s British Airways decals. 

It’s been built out of the box, other than my usual mod to these kits in adding some height on the cockpit crown area with some Milliput to correct the profile. 

Although it’s getting a little long in the tooth now, the kit still builds reasonably well once excess flash is removed!

I was really sad when BA retired the 747 - not only is it one of my favourite commercial aircraft but I’d flown long-haul on them more than any other type and thought I’d do my own little tribute to ‘The Queen of the Skies’. The real thing was my last 747 flight when she brought me back from Australia once… the ‘Kangaroo Route’ is now 777 or 787 and it’s not quite the same. 

Long live the Queen!

All the best,

Tom

Great job!

Our family flew in BA 747's to and from the UK when we visited England and Scotland. Two great flights. I had no idea they retired them, too bad, the 747's were comfy.