Alley Cat models

mozart

I’ve just learned that AlleyCat models is no more, production and retail from the website has stopped due to illness, which is so sad. I’ve built their Hawker Fury biplane as a trainer version:

XLzJuM.jpg

and also have the spatted version (hidden here amongst SW kits):

WrI30R.jpg

Some stock, including these two, are available through www.modelsforsale.com but whilst looking at what’s available there was just One Gloster Gamecock……when it’s gone, it’s gone! So I bought it:

5FMJZO.png

I think its appearance is best described as “pugnacious” rather than elegant or graceful; only 90 were delivered to the RAF but they put on some thrilling displays at Hendon in the Golden Years.

JrTEnq.jpg

It will sit well with my Gloster Gauntlet and Gloster Gladiator. Carpe Diem! :D

zcsuLQ.jpg

Edited by mozart

13 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Good catch, but I fear there's no 56 Sqn option.

This is true Mike, but I love that line up of 23 Squadron so it will probably be one of those, and makes a change from chequers! 

33 minutes ago, europapete said:

That's sad news Max, good score on the Gamecock though. I have two, one will be converted to a Grebe. 

But have you made either one Pete.....build tips?

So the Gamecock kit has arrived:

hHr8SH.jpg

but goodness me what a challenging kit this is going to be! As any biplane builder will know, the most stressful part is getting the top wing on and square, but with the number of cabane and interplane struts to cope with……:wacko:

4XhKoL.jpg

And all the struts are very finely cast resin with no wire insert strengtheners (like Silver Wings). The casting throughout is really excellent, I won’t be building it in the foreseeable future but I’m already considering the best build sequence! 

GmzM3J.jpg

Very very happy to have it in my collection though. 

This was the Montex kit originally for those that do not know, then I acquired the masters for this and other Montex kits when I owned A2Zee Models. I addded the decals as most only had decals previously, when I then gave up the Alley Cat range it was taken over by Alec, of what then became Alley Cat models.

i have no idea who has done the current casting, however the struts should all have brass inserts in them, Montex was one of the first doing these subjects and preceded Silver Wings etc. and lead the way in the early to mid 2000’s. 

Thanks for that Ali, I must admit I haven’t “tested” the struts, ie a strength test, but compared to the Silver Wings ones they look very thin and flimsy. 

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Thanks for that Ali, I must admit I haven’t “tested” the struts, ie a strength test, but compared to the Silver Wings ones they look very thin and flimsy. 

I think the size of the struts is also complicated by trying to make things to SCALE, sometimes scale has to be beefed up to make things work in practice.

Just checked, no core of metal, but what has just occurred to me is that they may be plastic rather than resin, will check that when I have a moment. 

Just now, Ali62 said:

I think the size of the struts is also complicated by trying to make things to SCALE, sometimes scale has to be beefed up to make things work in practice.

This is so true, and as you in particular will appreciate, is very much the case in the ICM Tiger Moth. When I come to do my next one I have your brass struts ready which I’m sure will make life easier.