175 Squadron Hurribomber finished!

mozart

8 minutes ago, quang said:

Great detailing, Max! :clap2:

I remember someone on this forum mocked me when I drilled the drain holes on my Fly Hurricane some years ago. Ah well, those were the days… :P

Qui était ce Quang?  :wacko: Moi?? :P

Posted (edited)

The final part of the wing assembly is the radiator:

9IMRK4.jpg

and I've gone slightly differently to the instructions which ask you to start by joining the front and rear sections of the fairing together.  The problem with this is that you are mating two narrow edges only which could present difficulties with keeping things square and flat.  So I opted to glue the radiator halves together then fix this into the rear fairing:

ZO9S7W.jpg

It protrudes forward slightly from the front edge, but this then gives a good positive "key" into the ledge on the mating aft edge of the forward fairing.  A spot of glue around the outside and it's done.  Now is a good time to add the central brace at the front, not provided in the kit but just a piece of stretched sprue.  I drilled a small hole through the top edge (not visible once assembled) and put it in place:

iUVGpb.jpg

It all then fits well into the lower wing:

GyTPLx.jpg

SWLuQX.jpg

Two more "scratch built" items are needed to complete this, actuating arms for the flap which again will be stretched sprue.  I'll be adding these later.

Edited by mozart

The rudder and elevators have a kind of fabric surface texture but there’s no attempt to give any semblance of rib tapes or stitching, in fact the ribs are so subtle as to be almost invisible. So I’m applying my home-made remedy; thin strips of Oramask that have a regular “stitch-like” effect (at least that’s what I tell myself!). The Oramask is of course self-adhesive so it’s a fairly quick job to apply and cut to length:

NhLHiK.jpg

I make sure that it is firmly pressed down, especially at the ends so there’s minimal danger of “lifting”, and under a coat of primer plus paint it looks ok.  This from my last Hurricane:

NNb1LU.jpg

All done, plus some work on the exhausts, trying to get the “hot” metal effect! 

Rg6xuA.jpg

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Fantastic progress Max, I have just come back from a two week holiday and you have wizzed through this build in that time, all good quality stuff as well.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes Dennis, it’s a bit like the ICM Gladiator in that everything fits so well so I can’t stop “sticking bits together”, like the empennage was done in literally five minutes this afternoon.  Hope you went somewhere warm and dry! 

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

An excellent idea for rib tapes, which type of Oramask do you use please?

John

It’s my usual Oramask 810 John. I haven’t done it yet but I’ll put the design on here so it’s freely available those those having a Silhouette (or a helpful friend!).

6 hours ago, Phil88 said:

I am noticing all you do for the next one 

That’s encouraging to hear Phil, you’ll enjoy the kit for sure. I need to think of an excuse to build another one! 

Edited by mozart

First spray of primer, very few areas needing attention that I can see at the moment: 

Rr8U1w.jpg

wY8s3c.jpg

I know people wax lyrical about the grace and elegant lines of the Spitfire, and I can’t disagree with them, but there’s something about the Hurricane that conveys rugged aggression….love it!