175 Squadron Hurribomber finished!

mozart

14 hours ago, mozart said:

Please do John.  The "halt", a small "station" where the train stops for passengers, would have been Moreton where I used to live, though the halt was actually a good mile or so out of the village.

That brought back childhood memories. I spent my first 18 years in a small village in N Wales and one of my aunts lived in a similar village 2 miles away which had a “ halt “ until the line was closed when I was about 10.

John

• 1 month later...

OK, time for some action now that the other Hurricane is finished!  And talk about chalk and cheese!  The cockpit structure on the PCM kit comprises less than a dozen parts, whereas with this Revell kit:

xeu1CN.jpg

I think this is all of them, could be wrong, but I make around 30 parts, so it would be fair to say that the cockpit is quite a complicated structure!  

First impressions of actually handling and examining the Revell kit are a bit contradictory.  There has obviously been a lot of research that has taken place, and the number of parts shows that Revell are trying to tick all the boxes, but it somehow has the feeling of a short-run kit.  I can't remember another kit other than the Kitty Hawk T-6 which has so many, so awkwardly placed sprue attachment points.  So there's a lot of cleaning up to do, and on some very delicate parts...it feels like you're handling resin due to its delicacy and potential for snapping easily.  There are also a lot of mould lines which need careful sanding.  None of this is a deal breaker but does it feel like a modern mass-produced kit?  Not sure.

A few 175 Squadron pictures from "Steve" Stevenson's book:

AO5mG6.jpg

MdqMnH.jpg

9MlOgf.jpg

DCNoxB.jpg

JiEmiO.jpg

5WvuJy.jpg

9CXWkR.jpg

Lots of fascinating detail to be gleaned in these pics!

Good evening

I personally met Derek Stevenson at his invitation at an airshow in Nancy in September 1997, where he signed "Cinq de chutte ! " .
We often exchanged some correspondances until 2000, correspondances which I have kept preciously.

He was a very charming character, as Denis wrote.

Unfortunately, the title page of the book with his dedication has become damp over time.

AKD9Rb-DSCN3340.jpg

Many thanks for your beautifull pictures !!!

Gilles

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Great thread so far, I love the period photos and historical records, they really do set the scene for the build.

Cheers

Dennis

Agreed 100% Dennis! This photograph also interests me: 

gp9sQW.jpg

It says Warmwell, their airfield, but I’m pretty sure it was taken at “the temple” at Stourhead though why they would have their trunks with them is beyond me! The caption is also wrong, Stevenson is on the right not in the centre.

Edited by mozart

16 hours ago, PEYSSON Gilles said:

Good evening

I personally met Derek Stevenson at his invitation at an airshow in Nancy in September 1997, where he signed "Cinq de chutte ! " .
We often exchanged some correspondances until 2000, correspondances which I have kept preciously.

He was a very charming character, as Denis wrote.

Unfortunately, the title page of the book with his dedication has become damp over time.

AKD9Rb-DSCN3340.jpg

Many thanks for your beautifull pictures !!!

Gilles

Gilles, like Denis, you are very fortunate to have spoken and latterly kept in touch with Steve, thank you for posting the pictures. I wonder which of his crashes was chopped out of the French edition, I imagine it could be the Tiger Moth on take off from Warmwell when Steve was only a passenger. Could easily have killed him though! 

6 hours ago, mozart said:

Gilles, like Denis, you are very fortunate to have spoken and latterly kept in touch with Steve, thank you for posting the pictures. I wonder which of his crashes was chopped out of the French edition, I imagine it could be the Tiger Moth on take off from Warmwell when Steve was only a passenger. Could easily have killed him though! 

Good evening

I read his book a long time ago, so I'll have to read it again to reply to your message !
I remember that Derek Stevenson was a very nice person with whom you could have long conversations at that meeting in Nancy in Sept 1997.

I also had the opportunity, at the same time, to meet Mr Jacques Remlinger, Pierre Clostermann's faithful friend, several times at meetings of the "old Flying Machine", including in Nancy in Sept 1997.
He too was a very nice person with whom we could have long conversations.
He wrote me a dedication on a photo of Pierre Clostermann's book: "Le Grand Cirque".

rcZ9Rb-DSCN3341.jpg

I will stop polluting "mozart's" post here.
I can't wait to see your Hurribomber step by step!

Gilles

4 minutes ago, PEYSSON Gilles said:

Good evening

I read his book a long time ago, so I'll have to read it again to reply to your message !
I remember that Derek Stevenson was a very nice person with whom you could have long conversations at that meeting in Nancy in Sept 1997.

I also had the opportunity, at the same time, to meet Mr Jacques Remlinger, Pierre Clostermann's faithful friend, several times at meetings of the "old Flying Machine", including in Nancy in Sept 1997.
He too was a very nice person with whom we could have long conversations.
He wrote me a dedication on a photo of Pierre Clostermann's book: "Le Grand Cirque".

rcZ9Rb-DSCN3341.jpg

I will stop polluting "mozart's" post here.
I can't wait to see your Hurribomber step by step!

Gilles

It’s most definitely not pollution Gilles, I have had the opportunity to speak to several veterans of the aerial war including, I’m pleased to say, some Nachtjager, so it’s all very welcome. My threads and builds are always about more than plastic, more often, resin models! :coolio:

OK, lots of work going on in the background!  The cockpit is now sprayed and ready to assemble, and it looks pretty good to me.  I'm focussing on two areas at the moment which will improve its look; the seat and the bulkhead/armour plate behind the seat.  

Firstly the seat, for some reason Revell have decided to make it in four parts - base, back and sides.  Though to me it's a bit clunky, the plastic edges are too thick and there's an unfortunate join which runs all the way across the lower back, not to mention ejector pin marks on the inside of the sides:

67owJ9.jpg

I have a little "collection" of Hurricane seats in our scale (no idea why!):

FiklTo.jpg

....and I think the Revell seat stands up to comparison despite my initial reservations.  So once some work has been done with putty, a sharp knife blade and a narrow sanding stick, it looks ok.  

But the armour plate can also be improved; as supplied it shows the positions of the securing bolt heads:

UkVHkQ.jpg

but not the actual heads which are clearly shown here:

Z34Om2.jpg

The answer is:

3J20iT.jpg

The smallest size, 0.6mm are the ones used; I drilled out the bolt positions then snapped off the bolt heads from the Anyz base leaving the moulding stalk on, this then was inserted into the hole and secured with a little CA on the back.

YcuX9W.jpg

End result with the seat resting in place, then both painted ready for assembly:

ZZ90Jw.jpg

39g2pZ.jpg

Seat belts tomorrow!  

Edited by mozart

A good session today on the cockpit.  As mentioned previously, it is quite a complicated affair so for once I'm going (so far) 100% with the instructions.  It's very worthwhile whilst reading them before assembly having a good look at the parts and getting an idea of which bit fits where and in what orientation.  It may sound obvious, but I made sure that the parts in my hand were orientated as shown in the instruction diagram.  

All the framework was sprayed silver, then detail parts hand-painted using the MRP Aqua range of paints.  There was a little clean up to do but assembly then proceeded at a pace:

W0N8wb.jpg

vbYWQh.jpg

All the parts fitted very easily and positively in place....I'm no "shake n'bake" modeller by any means but it was a pleasure to see the thought that had gone into the design of the kit resulting in ease of assembly.  And temporarily located in the port fuselage:

eVZmVi.jpg

More in a moment!

12 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Looks very good Max,told you those ANYZ parts were easy to install! How does the MRP aqueous range perform compared to say Vallejo when hand painting? 

Regards. Andy 

Never really got on with Vallejo Andy which is why I switched and welcomed the MRP Aqua, they're just fine.  More finished cockpit shots apart from the seat and IP:

JnjVtp.jpg

HMJkVq.jpg

XgfxEX.jpg

Looks like I've lost a bolt on the armour....no big issue. :D

Edited by mozart