A Birdcage in Turtle Bay - An F4U-1 Diorama

ChuckD

With regard to the one used by David Parker, I know it. It is available but is a 1/35 one, not 1/32. https://www.afvmodeller.com/product/135-resin-sculpting-mannequins/

The only available 1/32 one I know is the Andrea white metal (quite expensive) set:

https://www.andrea-world.com/busqueda.php?campobusqueda=Mannequin+

HTH

Thierry 

Back with another minor update.  Priming the guys showed things turned out pretty well.  Just gotta fix Lt. Ray's hands and pick out a head for the crew chief and I can start getting some paint going.

These pics are pre-cleanup on the seams and to illustrate how things look under primer.  Barring the seam on the pilot's legs, it's rough to tell what's sculpted and what was original.  :) More to follow tomorrow.

PXL-20231231-185550172.jpg

PXL-20231231-185557730.jpg

I had a couple sharp edges to clean up on the crew chief, but overall he was pretty clean. 
PXL-20231231-185602796.jpg

Posted (edited)

Years ago, I was on a road trip with some buddies of mine when we got stuck in an hours-long traffic jam in Chicago.  We crept forward, inch by inch, baking in the hot July sun.  Inevitably, we started bitching and complaining when one guy, the driver, piped up and said something that stuck with me all these years later.  "Hey, as long as we're moving, we're making progress."

And so it is.

We are moving and, thus, are making progress.  Though, I'll admit, we're not exactly headed the direction I was thinking we were.  I guess I should know better than to say things like "I'm just about done with the figures!" (to paraphrase)

As I started to get serious about placing the figures, I realized that I'd originally placed the pilot too far aft when roughing him in.  I think the general consensus here is that these photos were taken just after Lt. Ray returned from a flight, not as he's boarding up to leave.  He taxied up, popped off his chute harness, and - probably to the benefit of the camera men - clambered down left side of the aircraft.  

You can see his right foot is almost directly behind the forward canopy and his left hand is on the weirdly-painted patch on the fuselage.

Cb4TJSg.png

While my resin figure isn't bent over at quite the angle Lt. Ray was, it still actually fits pretty closely in the more correct position...

PXL-20240102-211402804.jpg

... all except for the hands.  The hands will make or break a figure, in my opinion.  So, off they go.  I chopped them off with a fine razor saw and recessed the area inside the cuff with a rotary tool.  This will hopefully allow me to sculpt fairly realistic hands that appear to be coming out of a sleeve, rather than butting up against it.

PXL-20240103-234821957.jpg

I drilled out a small hole and added some wire.  I'll use this to rough in the angle I need for proper hand placement, then as a base for the putty to grab on to.  I've never tried to sculpt hands before so this could get really interesting.  I'll work on that slowly over the course of the week.  I'm back to work now (boo), so modeling time is catch-as-catch-can.

PXL-20240103-235131201.jpg

I also got annoyed with the fact that the angle of the feet on the crew chief wouldn't allow for him to stand upright on the wing roughly where the chief was in the photo.  Given the angle of the wing while on the ground, the figure kept falling over and to place him such that he stayed put required me to put him in weird places.  Sure, in the end, I could probably have super glued him to the wing and wiped my hands of it, but he would have likely had a perpetual Michael Jackson-esque forward lean to him and that would have looked bad.

So, out came the trusty sword of exact zero and off went the feet.  Same deal here, holes, wire, proper angles aaaand...

PXL-20240103-234613469.jpg

Ta-da!  He stays nicely in place on his own two feet (no super glue required) and he's more or less where the crew chief was in the reference photo. :coolio:
PXL-20240103-234601858.jpg

What I haven't mentioned yet is that I burned an entire new year's eve day (and a blade on my cutter) building a couple palm trees and prepping the base.  Here's a teaser shot of the work in progress.  I've got more work to do on the pictured tree and whole second tree in the works too.  
PXL-20240103-235249333.jpg

That's it for now, but stay tuned for all the fun and excitement of the adventures to come.  Join us as we explore:

• Irrevocable f-ups in hand sculpting!
    • "Did the Marines really accept pilots with 11 fingers?"
  • Figure painting from your nightmares!
    • "His eye appears to be running down his cheek. "
  • Palm trees that apparently can't support their own weight!
    • "It fell on the plane again."

And more!

Edited by ChuckD

54 minutes ago, ChuckD said:

I still have plenty of time to screw up both, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.

I hate to nit pick, but that forearm to the right is WAY out of scale.  It's your diorama, but I don't see how that's going to work. The flesh tones are actually quite good, but that might be 1/35 scale.   

Edited by Citadelgrad

7 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

I hate to nit pick, but that firearm to the right is WAY out of scale.  It's your diorama, but I don't see how that's going to work. The flesh tones are actually quite good, but that might be 1/35 scale.   

That would be “forearm” would it not, Mr Nitpicker?

6 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

That would be “forearm” would it not, Mr Nitpicker?

It was forearm when I typed it.  I think spellcheck decided I was wrong.  I will edit.  

Perhaps my own forearm was malfunctioning.  

Edited by Citadelgrad

10 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

It was forearm when I typed it.  I think spellcheck decided I was wrong.  I will edit.  

Perhaps my own forearm was malfunctioning.  

Either way, it was pretty witty.  Sorry, couldn’t resist.  At my house we are all North Georgia or VMI grads, so, you know….

LOVE the concept!!! Though it's just a publicity pic as, I'm sure has been stated before, Corsairs are boarded from the right/starboard side as that where the foot and hand holds are bit the reason is to not f..k up the throttle!!!

Gorgeous work still!

3/4 tone Corsairs for the win!

Though it's as obvious as no shoes on your feet, Glad that "Dana" came along to stear you the right way!! That I saw...LoL 

Alfonso,

Corsair, 3/4 tone ghetto historian and PTO fanatic!

Forward Sir, Forward!