Pussycat Zipper FINISHED

blackbetty

Next one up

i wont use a lot of aftermarket, i just have the Aires exhaust (for the Hasegawa kit, i hope it fits) and some videoaviation 750s

the kit decals are printed by catograf, so i will use them

bought some AIM 9Bs from Reskit, only to find out they never used the under fuselage tray operationaly <_<

BA8-BE43-D-02-E4-433-F-B299-7-F7-DFC957-

Edited by blackbetty

This should be interesting to watch.  I’ve always liked the look of an F-104 but have never built one and don’t think I’ve ever seen a camoed build.  A flying friend at my airport flew them his entire career, including a tour in Vietnam.  He had a bushel of war stories but was such a talented liar that I never believed a word he said.

Looking at the color shot of the pink panther as the "Pussycat," above: I just noticed for the first time that the "barber pole" on the pitot tube was changed to the 435 TFS squadron-color blue/white (instead of the standard red/white); and there is also a blue stencil just below the aft canopy glazing...my guess is that is a crew chief/ass't crew chief stencil [edit: just looked at the Eduard/Kinetic decal sheet for their release of this aircraft --in the "wrong" scale-- and it is the stencil for the assigned pilot/crew chief names].

These guys really went all-in on the squadron color tradition: many of their pilots dyed their sage-gray/green K-2B flight suits to "435th Blue" toward the end of their deployment to Udorn.

Because they were a "geographically separated unit" (GSU) from their assigned wing headquarters (the famed 8 TFW Wolfpack, during Robin Olds's tenure as commander at Ubon), the squadron was characterized as a bit of a flying club, and they called themselves the "Thai Air National Guard," or "TANG" for short. But, these guys took some serious losses to SA-2s in 1966, and they were grounded from flights over North Vietnam and specifically the Hanoi area, until their jets were fitted with the APR-25 RHAW system, which was completed by the end of December '66; and you can see the forward antenna for that system just under the Pussycat artwork (looks like a black "wedge" sticking out of the sleek nose cone). Not many people realize that Olds and JB Stone assigned their geo-separated fighter squadron the duty to fly defensive counter-air (DCA) during Operation Bolo on 2 January 1967, to protect the tankers supporting the Phantoms that did the offensive fighter sweep across the MiG-21 bases around Hanoi.

In August '67, the 435th pilots, in their dyed blue flight suits, ferried these F-104s from Udorn, Thailand to Puerto Rico, where the Puerto Rico ANG took over operating these camouflaged zippers; and the 435 TFS designation went to Ubon to stand-up the second F-4D squadron in the 8 TFW Wolfpack, just prior to Olds relinquishing the wing in September that year. 

Just a really cool stretch of history wrapped up in those camouflaged F-104s, and I'm really looking forward to some Black Betty magic on this kit(!).