P-51 Racer conversion (Dago Red - Revell 1/32) and refurbishing (Strega - Heritage Aviation Models 1/32)

discus

Hello

Here is a quick WIP of a project I started some times ago.

The goal is to represent Dago Red

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:P-51D_Mustang_Dago_Red.jpg

I built Voodoo and Strega few years ago from the Heritage aviation models kit but since it is not available anymore, I'll do that the hard way, starting from the Revell P-51D model.... (cutting bits and pieces from the Tamyia kit was not an option... :ph34r:)

First, unpack the saw and start the surgery:

The hatched part will be removed.

IMG-5076.jpg

IMG-5077.jpg

While we are at it, I also cut the wing tips (these racers have a reduced wing span. Also some of them have a reduce span on the horizontal stabilizer but for Dago, it seems it had both versions so I kept the original stapbilizer)

IMG-5122.jpg

And remove the guns

IMG-5095.jpg

So far so good...

Edited by discus

6 hours ago, chaos07 said:

That's going to be funt to paint/decal.  Looking forward to see how this comes along - awesome subject.

I'll use the decals from Draw Decals.

I don't know if it will be as fun as painting voodoo was with its green/yellow/purple/checkered livery.... that was a hell of a job, especially as I was still using handbrushes then... (the checkered part was in decals :mental:)

My racing hangar so far :

Strega (1/32 Heritage aviation Models) . I actually plan to refurbish it after I'm finish with Dago as this one suffered during my recent move)

IMG-7139.jpg

Red Baron : awesome model by Paul Fisher (1/32)

IMG-8458.jpg

Special Hobby in the wrong scale (1/48 :innocent:

IMG-9288.jpg

September fury (1/32 Hobbysomething with specific parts (prop and spinner, wheels, canopy and engine cowls) kindly provided by Paul fisher.

IMG-1984.jpg

Voodoo (1/32 Heritage)

IMG-6239.jpg

Caudron C460 (williams Bros 1/32) It's a very small airplane (about half the size of a P-51...)

That particular plane actually won the national air races in 1936 flown by a French pilote (Michel Detroyat)

IMG-2263.jpg

Edited by discus

Next step : building the modified fuselage using styrene sticks

IMG-5079.jpg

After a lot of cutting and glueing...

IMG-5121.jpg

Lots of putty and sanding awaiting to happen...

I also filled in the panel lines on the wings

IMG-5171.jpg

Edited by discus

The cockpit. I did not put too much effort as I will keep the canopy close and there will be not much to see. It is not representative of the real one but that's good enough.

Instrument decals are from Anyz and the seat belts are Eduard PE. The seat comes from the heritage Aviation kit I used for Strega. There was two of them... lucky me. :lol:

IMG-5160.jpg

I also modified the ventral air intake. On the racers it is longer and there's no gap with the wing (It should also be a bit more flat but that was way to much changes so I kept it like this)

I used a P-47 aux fuel tank (the flat type) for the shape. I was more or less the right size and shape. :ph34r:

IMG-5203.jpg

Dago Red has some sort of winglets, I made them from a photoetched panel leftover from a previous kit.

IMG-5214.jpg

Edited by discus

Fuselage conversion is complete...

Lots of putty and sanding... :mental:

IMG-5189.jpg

another part of an aux fuel tank (from a Skyraider I think) was recycled here... :D

IMG-5204.jpg

Overall cote of Mr Surfacer 1500

IMG-5246.jpg

On to the paintshop now... :fight:

Edited by discus