Zoukei-Mura’s 1/32 Bf 109G-14 with Swiss markings

Phil Smith

Having completed my Tamiya 1/32 P-51K recently (will get around to posting photos of this shortly), followed by a 1/350 Polar Lights Refit Enterprise from Star Trek, I've decided to dive into one of the more recent acquisitions in my stash. I always have a problem selecting which kit to start after I finish one. I'm not sure if this is because I want to build them all, or if it's a function of being in the right frame of mind. I guess I am in a WWII mood and the P-51K experience got me hooked on large-scale, highly detailed builds.

It seems likely at this point I will build scale models for the foreseeable future. My intent is to have this hobby simmer in the background, always available but not necessarily driven by a timeline for completion. It relaxes me, though I confess I am already quite relaxed. Perhaps it would be better to say that building scale models serves as a form of meditation. In any event, it won’t replace my desire to pursue “fine art” projects, the inspiration and duration for which is unpredictable and less structured once under way. 

For my next scale model I intend to revisit the WWII period, this time with a German-built aircraft, the Messerschmitt Bf-109, specifically a variant called the G-14. Instead of a Nazi Luftwaffe version, I will build a Swiss version. My mother was born in Switzerland immediately after the conclusion of WWII (September 25), so this is part of the inspiration. I also confess I am not terribly keen to build a representation of a Nazi machine, despite admiring the Reich’s impressive technical achievements. 

I selected Zoukei-Mura’s 1/32 Bf 109G-14/U4 kit, which is magnificent in detail and quality, and will use Georg Hoch’s book “Messerschmitt Me 109 in Swiss Air Force Service” as a reference. First up, as one might imagine, is the engine block, which is photographed here in an early stage of construction.

One of the reasons I seem to prefer old warplanes is because they are filthy and banged up. Used. They tell a story. While I have zero desire to fly in such contraptions, preferring the actual things to be properly maintained, inspected, and cleaned, my artistic sensibilities lean toward showing a used and abused machine. These are so much more fun to render, covered as they are with oil, grease, and exhaust stains with paint worn away and chipped. I say this because I feel guilty not immediately tackling several 1/32 jets in my stash of unbuilt kits!

IMG_1286.jpg

Edited by Phil Smith

Hi Phil, no pb I'll follow your build for sure, love this biird too much ;-)

got a question what do you have planned for markings? home made masks, decals ,or any else of the maket,

ps: Phil, by the way I wasn't aware that G-14 were used in Swiss Army, may be you can tell us more about.

Edited by rafju

1 hour ago, rafju said:

Hi Phil, no pb I'll follow your build for sure, love this biird too much ;-)

got a question what do you have planned for markings? home made masks, decals ,or any else of the maket,

ps: Phil, by the way I wasn't aware that G-14 were used in Swiss Army, may be you can tell us more about.

Excellent and thank you. I was also unaware the Swiss flew this aircraft. Apparently, several Bf-109s crashed in Swiss territory, which is not surprising. Ultimately, however, being that Switzerland was (and continues to be) neutral, the aircraft were painted with large red and white stripes to indicate this fact. They look a bit funny, but unusual. I really like aircraft with colorful livery. I will likely make stencils for the cross and stripes. I hope the book I mention above is thorough enough to show what language was used for stenciling - Switzerland has four official languages (my mom comes from the French part). It'll be a fun project!

Edited by Phil Smith

10 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

I'm building one of these myself right now, over in the Aces High group build, so I'll be watching to see what you do with yours.  It's a very good kit too.  Nice to see a Swiss version of this too.

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

Awesome! I look forward to checking out your build as well. Also, on a whim, I decided to concurrently build Tamiya's 1/32 Corsair. Madness.

On 11/15/2023 at 10:58 PM, Phil Smith said:

Awesome! I look forward to checking out your build as well. Also, on a whim, I decided to concurrently build Tamiya's 1/32 Corsair. Madness.

You're a brave man.  I tried building two kits concurrently once.  Never again. :lol:  Tamiya's Corsair is also a great kit.  I did the F4U-1 a couple of years back and still have the -1a to do.  Something for me to look forward to.

Cheers,

Michael

I made a bit of progress on the engine today. I love building engines and cockpits, and this kit is offering many opportunities for super detailing.  

Here we are with the spark plug cables added to the block. I added a screen to the supercharger for interest. Decals are from the kit, a nice touch. Nothing fancy paint-wise: Tamiya flat black overall, Alaclad II Aluminum Plating for the spark plug cable, with part of it painted Testors Aluminum for interest. Other details Testors Chrome Silver and Steel. The spark plug cables are Tamiya Buff (XF-57). Over all of this a coat of X-22 gloss to facilitate the weathering to come.

IMG_1364.jpg

I decided to add 12 fuel injector cables to the bottom of the engine (weird how the engine was configured in the aircraft; I'm used to thinking of the engine in a different orientation). Alas, these won't be visible, but it allowed me to experiment with fine lead wire, which I've not worked with before - great stuff. 

IMG_1365.jpg

Edited by Phil Smith

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress on the engine, which is such a pleasure to build. The thing is like a bowl of spaghetti and I'm not even done yet, with more pipes and tubes to attach down the road. But so far, everything is moving along nicely. I'm using AK RLM-02 for the primed bits - greener than I imagined, but that's ok. 

Pressing on with additional engine details awaits. I will add wire hardnesses and cables once the main assembly is completed. And then, the fun begins: weathering :D

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Additional progress made on the engine and cockpit cage. The engine, which has been weathered, will receive more work in the form of adding wire harness details, but this needs to wait until it is linked to the cockpit assembly, which I see is a few steps away. The cockpit is more or less straight out of the box, though I clearly added HGW's excellent seatbelt set.  I also added some photoetch items designed for a different kit, as I like the idea of adding more wire harness details which the Eduard photoetch set features (not terribly visible in the photo, unfortunately)

The short version so far is 1) easy and fun assembly and 2) standard colors one might expect for this particular aircraft (RLM 66 and RLM 02). I

IMG_1467.jpg  

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

Edited by Phil Smith