A-20 Havoc References

All-

@nmayhew and I were discussing the differences between some of the features on the A-20 Havoc, so I wanted to start a thread here so folks could see some of the differences. The first topic we'll cover is the cowlings. Others, please feel free to add other bits here as well.

The A-20G/J/K series started with an early version of cowling, which was clean until the cowl flaps, which were scalloped to accommodate the individual exhaust stacks that exited the rear of the cowling. From what I've found researching the A-20G, these were standard fitment up until the A-20G-35-DO, where they were changed to the later version, which we'll discuss in a minute. Here are the "early" cowlings in action:

Bub's Brother in Flight(1)

Notice the scalloped cowl flaps at the rear of the cowling. The cowling itself is completely smooth. These pieces are included in the 1/32 HK Models A-20G kit, which, out of the box allows you to build any variant of the A-20G up until the A-20G-35-DO. However, some early airframes were converted to the later style (likely during engine changes later in the war), so check your references for your particular bird:

2519-41

2519-42

2519-21

Photos compliments of Kevin Futter's review here on LSP.

Starting with the A-20G-35-DO and all production variants of the A-20J/K (because it was a later design), the cowlings now featured scallops around their circumference, similar to those of the B-25J, rather than exhaust exits at the rear of the cowling:

Gladstone Flash

A-20J_43-21745_Irene_8U-S_of_the_646th_BS

And here they are on the impending 1/32 HK Models A-20J/K kit:

387874293_636396128693971_4509032730666295549_n

It should be noted here, too, that the A-20J/K series were never deployed to the Pacific, as they didn't meet the mission requirements there. In the PTO, A-20G's were flying at low level and doing strafing/bombing from the tree tops. In the ETO, they were medium bombers dropping from altitude, hence the need for a bomber-nose variant. In practice, a sole A-20J/K would lead a flight of 6-7 A-20G's, working as a pathfinder and bomb aimer. When they dropped their bombs, the remainder of the flight would drop their bombs as well. I'm not sure the A-20G/J/K outfits in the ETO did any strafing with their aircraft, at least not to the extent it was practiced in the PTO.

So there you have it, your cowling differences. Enjoy!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Edited by Dennis7423

3 hours ago, Ali62 said:

These pink / orange cowlings above where are they from? Are those the new HK kit parts? Perhaps if they are they are an early prototype predating the injection moulded parts.

They are indeed prototype parts for the display, but will be molded and included in the kit once released. I imagine it will be ready for purchase at Telford; I would be shocked if it wasn't.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

OT but I'm currently reading a book "The Navigator's Case", about a guy who stumbled upon his deceased dad's flight briefcase filled with his mementos from when he was an A-20 pilot in New Guinea.     Prior to that, he thought his father never saw any combat during WW2 since dad (like so many other vets), never talked about his experiences.  Interesting read, it also goes into the mental health issues (PTSD) his dad had while he was still in the AF, post-war.    New Guinea was very much a forgotten war, those guys took heavy casualties. 

Has me pondering adding this kit to the "to build" queue.   

39 minutes ago, John1 said:

OT but I'm currently reading a book "The Navigator's Case", about a guy who stumbled upon his deceased dad's flight briefcase filled with his mementos from when he was an A-20 pilot in New Guinea.     Prior to that, he thought his father never saw any combat during WW2 since dad (like so many other vets), never talked about his experiences.  Interesting read, it also goes into the mental health issues (PTSD) his dad had while he was still in the AF, post-war.    New Guinea was very much a forgotten war, those guys took heavy casualties. 

Has me pondering adding this kit to the "to build" queue.   

Thanks for sharing this John, I will check it out. Lots of history with this airplane. I recently finished “Wreaking Havoc: A Year In An A-20”, and it also gave me a sense of the attrition they faced.

Cheers,  Tom

• Dennis7423 changed the title to A-20 Havoc References

All-

I have changed the title to reflect this being a good space for all references for the A-20 Havoc. I found a few more tid bits that were interesting, and may be helpful for modelers.

First off, we have the upper pilot's canopy. For those that wish to detail this section further, this photo shows to good effect the running wires for the pilot's sun shade:

image.jpeg.e204dd938f18be3e5a933cb273144653

Next, we have a good photo showing how the radio hatch opened on the real thing. These radios are included in the kit, but no option is shown in the build to have them exposed. Should you choose to do so, this is how the spine opened up:

Experiencedassemblylineworkersofbothsexescontributetotheprod

You'll note, too, that there is a space between the rear gunner and the pilot's canopy section that don't open to expose the radios, so if this is something you wish to pursue, plan and cut accordingly!

Next is a diagram for the super-detailers. This shows the location of fire extinguishers, parachutes, first aid kits, etc. for those who want to add them to your kit:

A-20G Interior Fittings

And the last one, is just for fun! This was deleted on the A-20G/J/K series (and possibly on the B/C, I'm not sure), but the original A-20A had flight controls for the gunner in the rear. There's a control stick, as well as a flap/throttle control on the left:

A-20A Rear Gunner

That's all for now. Enjoy!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

It doesn’t look like there were any instruments or rudder pedals back there.  Also, I’m not sure that those are flap controls on the quadrant with the throttles.  Suspect that at best, the controls would allow the gunner to gain control of the aircraft, and maybe fly to a safer area to bail out.  Don’t think landing was an option provided for.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

It doesn’t look like there were any instruments or rudder pedals back there.  Also, I’m not sure that those are flap controls on the quadrant with the throttles.  Suspect that at best, the controls would allow the gunner to gain control of the aircraft, and maybe fly to a safer area to bail out.  Don’t think landing was an option provided for.

That would make much more sense.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Throttles and mixture controls on the left side, both of which are pretty worthless without engine instruments.  No prop controls that I can see, so about all the gunner could do is speed up, slow down and shut them down.  Rudder pedals are on either side of the stick at the bottom near the horizontal walking beam so he could at least make coordinated turns and slips.   These look to be in a stowed position.  A gunner could look outside easily enough to keep it straight and level but, without any sort of instruments for airspeed, altitude or direction of flight, that’s about it.  Seems like added complexity and weight for no good reason.