P-67 Moonbat

Dandiego

1 hour ago, denders said:

That looks nice! 

You might want to check references, the transition from the engine nacelle to the outer wing panel at the leading edge, wasn't that sharp. It also seems that the number of cooling scoops (leading and trailing) on the engine nacelle varied.

I had been working one modeling a 3D Moonbat or as it seems like it was actually called at the time, "The Flying Fillet". Osprey's X-Planes series #17 is an interesting read. It may well be about a month since I last worked on it.

I use a polygonal modeler (Modo), not CAD, so I was creating splines or curves and "Patching" the surface. Trying to get smooth transitions along the surface.

0XB1Js.jpg

Well you may be right about the transition from the nacelle to outer wing. I will check my references. Either way working on this is a joy.

I frequently work on prototype aircraft and one thing that you find is that the design evolves over time. One reference shows one thing and 2 weeks later the designers have changed things. If it was a discrepancy on a Mustang people would notice. On a Moonbat, probably not.

Dan

5 hours ago, Jack said:

Amazing Dan, i'm "flabbergasted", you pick your subjects very well, looking forward to seeing it completed:bow::clap2:

Jack, I pick my subjects based on a lifelong love of aviation. I suspect quite a few fellow modelers have admired the smooth lines of the Moonbat.  Luckily there are gifted cad designers slowly tackling these iconic aircraft. Can't wait to see what will be coming down the road next!

Demon

F-89

F-91

F-102

F-106

F-107

F-108

F-109

F-22

F-23

.......?

Dan

I have to say, when I see a new post from "Dandiego" I always look because I know it will be something very different and unique. Half the time I have to look the aircraft up to find out what it was. You are a brave and talented guy!

This one is beautiful (and I had heard of it!)

Richard

You are making quick work of this one, Dan.  It's looking great.  I'm glad you reprinted the parts in PLA (except for that nose section) as the one I had done in all resin was just too heavy.  As has been commented, I the changes to the intakes over the Moonbat's short life were significant.  It was certainly one of the areas that was the hardest to figure out what the various configurations were vs. time.  I'm glad you are tackling some of these "short kits" that I drew up.   When I look at your list, there are plenty of other ones on that list that I have started tackling or plan to tackle.

Glad you are having fun.  Look forward to the next set of progress pics.

Well Chad, this is one of those dream kits that I had always thought about doing. Your design blows the doors off  anything that I could have cooked up.

Looking to purchase a pilot/seat combo from Aerobonus that is meant for a P-47. Should really bring this bird to life. 

Might do a second one. Build it up as a Korean war night fighter. Black with Red codes. Add some bombs and rockets.

Dan