P-67 Moonbat

Dandiego

This is a fantastic project and looking forward to more updates. 

The resin prints look heaps better for the props and wheels are awesome. Pity about the breakage on the prop. I would assume the breakage came from cleaning the supports off of the trailing edge of the blade?

Just thinking out loud, I am doing some research into designing a continuous support in fusion, along an edge like the edge of the prop blade to avoid warping and the pockmarks you get from conventional supports. There is a post on Britmodeller about the subject. Going to look at using it for my cockpit sidewalls on the 109.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235127479-on-designing-your-own-continuous-supports-for-custom-parts/

Maybe something that might help in this situation for the blades, but I am not sure. 

8 minutes ago, Volksjager said:

Just thinking out loud, I am doing some research into designing a continuous support in fusion, along an edge like the edge of the prop blade to avoid warping and the pockmarks you get from conventional supports. There is a post on Britmodeller about the subject. Going to look at using it for my cockpit sidewalls on the 109.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235127479-on-designing-your-own-continuous-supports-for-custom-parts/

Maybe something that might help in this situation for the blades, but I am not sure. 

Thanks I will look into it.

Dan

Dan, when you remove the supports are you doing it pre or post cure?  I've found that removing them pre cure they are much easier to remove and have less parts breakage.  BTW an absolutely fantastic subject.  Wish someone would release one of these.  It looks like it is doing 500mph just sitting there; to bad it had to many issues to overcome and at a time when jets were coming into play.

22 minutes ago, Dekon said:

Dan, when you remove the supports are you doing it pre or post cure?  I've found that removing them pre cure they are much easier to remove and have less parts breakage.  BTW an absolutely fantastic subject.  Wish someone would release one of these.  It looks like it is doing 500mph just sitting there; to bad it had to many issues to overcome and at a time when jets were coming into play.

I am removing the supports post cure. Perhaps I will give your suggestion a try. I am awaiting a shipment of some "tough" resin that should be a little more flexible. Hopefully this will help.

If you are interested in this model I can produce one for you. I need to get everything figured out on my example and add some detail to the cockpit before I  can produce them for others.

Cost is yet to be determined.  Stay tuned.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few days off I am back on track with the Moonbat.

The props gave me a little trouble. After receiving some new "tough" resin I re-printed the prop/spinner combo. These turned out quite nice. However I did manage to snap off one blade that I had to glue back on. I also worked on getting as much weight as possible jammed into each spinner. Part of that solution was to use a solid metal rod as a prop shaft. This added even more weight to the assembly. 

Here is the completed and painted prop assembly in place. I have also done some more paint work top and bottom. Mostly just cockpit and canopy work that is left to do.

60wfeGT.jpg

And a quick shot of the tires with a little paint. 

6SloYa1.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Here is the Bat sitting on its gear. Balance is very precarious, and I will be drilling a hole in the forward side of the main gear well and inserting more weights. 5 pennies keep it nose down for now.

JttxMuZ.jpg

fzHMeis.jpg

The mostly complete wheel assemblies.

U8EpCjl.jpg

And some cockpit details that I downloaded for free from Cults 3D. I will be using some of these items to dress up the cockpit.

oaUp30Z.jpg

Thanks, Dan