Maj. Yohei Hinoki's Ki-100 -- Finished

denders

Thanks, guys, for the offers/suggestions. I found an Engines and Things HA-109 in stock at Kitlinx and thought I would see how that looks. As Thierry suggested, there isn't much visible in the cowling past the propeller spinner. I know it's not exactly the correct engine model, but it's seven cylinders. It looks like it's cast metal, so I'll see what it looks like when it comes.

6 hours ago, denders said:

Thanks, guys, for the offers/suggestions. I found an Engines and Things HA-109 in stock at Kitlinx and thought I would see how that looks. As Thierry suggested, there isn't much visible in the cowling past the propeller spinner. I know it's not exactly the correct engine model, but it's seven cylinders. It looks like it's cast metal, so I'll see what it looks like when it comes.

I think it is probably a resin set.  All the ones I saw from them were made of a metallic grey coloured resin.

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I think it is probably a resin set.  All the ones I saw from them were made of a metallic grey coloured resin.

Okay, thanks, not a problem.

IIRC, some time ago, I saw a 'sale' at Kitlinx for everything from E&T. I thought it mentioned E&T closed up.

48 minutes ago, denders said:

IIRC, some time ago, I saw a 'sale' at Kitlinx for everything from E&T. I thought it mentioned E&T closed up.

Yeah, they closed up at the end of last year IIRC, and had a closing down sale. I bought a few items myself, and at the time, there was mention of the masters being up for sale. Given the age and general crudity of the parts by today's standards, I can't see there being much interest. It won't be long before most of these engines are available as either 3D prints or STL files in multiple scales, and probably from multiple vendors. And based on what I've seen so far in that space (3D-printed engines), they'll blow old-school resin parts away.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this came in the mail today. It looks very nice. But..............

7BCoFD.jpg

There's no way it fits inside the fuselage parts without cutting off, minimum, all the rocker covers. Looks like I need to get a Ki-44 kit to use it in. I guess I should start a 3D model and print it. Time to pull out what info I have, take some measurements, and get to work.

Dave,

I can send you a Hasegawa Ki-44 engine if you can cast one for yourself and an extra one for me?   Tennessee volunteer at work here?    LOL.

I just obtained the Razor back Ki-100 Alleycat conversion.  Loving your efforts going on here.    :popcorn:

Troy, thanks, but the problem is that the E&T engine is the type used in the Ki-44 and it's too large in diameter for the Ki-100. So, I imagine the engine from the Ki-44 kit will be too large too. I've actually spent a good part of today working on a 3D model of an engine to try printing. And I've been looking at how to get the 2nd row of cylinders represented and still have an easy way to mount the engine in the AlleyCat fuselage.

This unfortunately is the only good photo that I have of the Ha-112-II engine. (MMP "Japanese Aero-Engines" by Goodwin and Starkings) I've since noticed what Loic was mentioning about the pushrods for the second row of cylinders.

SJBxRE.jpg

Anyone have some other decent photos? I'd like to have a better idea of how the gearbox looked too.

I've been blessed with some additional engine information, so I'll see what I can model up that's reasonable and try printing it.

Troy, if it matters, I've also had it pointed out that the wing was moved forward 80mm on the real aircraft, but AlleyCat doesn't seem to have accounted for it. That's about 2.5mm in 32nd scale.

Wellllll...... this is where it's at, atm. It's not a thing of beauty and there won't be much visible inside the engine cowling with that spinner that was used on the Ki-100. It's not rally accurate as far as the cylinder head go. It does show the 'different' arrangement of the pushrods.

Note, btw, the wireway for the plug wires is in the back of the engine. The wires come through between the cylinders to connect to the spark plugs. I haven't looked at it, maybe there isn't a wireway and it's just a bowl of spaghetti from the distributor.

wa3ADp.jpg

I've not printed anything like this yet. I still need to model something for the governor. I need to break it down into printable pieces, like the cylinders. I'm thinking that the fins on the cylinders in theory have an acceptable thickness, but I'm not sure yet how they'll actually turn out. I'm figuring on having to redo the cooling fins.

This is much more (depth) than the AlleyCat piece, so I'll have to work on being able to mount it too. The indent in the front of the gearbox is just there as a 'starter' for drilling a hole for the prop shaft.