airscale 3D hangar - Looong term project 1/32 Do17Z

airscale

On 8/17/2023 at 7:36 AM, JayW said:

I too am trying to decide how to 3D print an entire model (probably a Mustang), only in 1/18.  Your Dornier might be just about as large as that!  Good luck and we should compare notes!  Especially on the transparencies.

Just curious, are CAD images infinitely scalable like vecor images ?

Hi Mike all cad drawing and models are scalable you can draw a plane in 1:1 scale and then scale it down but you can also print it in 2:1 scale if you have a big enough printer. The difference between the models is the quality and quantity of detail, the more you reduce the scale, even a fully detailed 3D model will lose definition of the details based on the minimum resolution of the printer. A 2k  printer will had less definition than a 4k which obviously is less  than an 8k or 12k (pixels x square inches).

As far as the images are concerned, no, that depends on the definition with which you render them, so the more you enlarge, the more grainy the image

Edited by spartacus2000

Ha! thanks guys :)

On 8/20/2023 at 9:39 PM, brahman104 said:

Love this!!!! I guess the big questions is will it be skinned in aluminium? ;) 

Craig

No, it won't be skinned, it may not even be built other than a test case. Really the objective is to see if 1. it can be done and 2 that I can do it. As I say it is a long term thing I will do in gaps in product design, and in fact I have done nothing since as I am deep in the next airscale Pro set

Got the 1/72 kit now and some great plans so will be back at it soon

Peter

On 8/17/2023 at 3:36 PM, JayW said:

Hi Peter - yes that was fast.  The props look really good, and I am pretty sure i know how you did them.  ;)

The nacelles look great.  And it appears you were able to minimize control points.  I just finished episode eight of the 14-episode "Primary Surfacing" class (can be found on YouTube), where I believe I am learning some critical tips on how to surface and not get yourself into trouble (which I have done many times).    It is taught in Rhino by a guy whose voice I am very tired of, but I will persist.  Fairly soon I will test it out on the P-51 smiley face nose intake - if I can do that I can do anything (surfacing anyway).   

I too am trying to decide how to 3D print an entire model (probably a Mustang), only in 1/18.  Your Dornier might be just about as large as that!  Good luck and we should compare notes!  Especially on the transparencies.

I know the guy you speaak of Jay and yes, he is hard to listen to 'raaaaiiiiiight'..

I in no way work in as disciplined, learned way as you do - i just bastardise shapes until the look like I want, but I do enjoy the prospect of learning

good luck with the '51 and hopefully we will hear about it soon :)

Peter

On 8/20/2023 at 2:18 AM, spartacus2000 said:

Hi Mike all cad drawing and models are scalable you can draw a plane in 1:1 scale and then scale it down but you can also print it in 2:1 scale if you have a big enough printer. The difference between the models is the quality and quantity of detail, the more you reduce the scale, even a fully detailed 3D model will lose definition of the details based on the minimum resolution of the printer. A 2k  printer will had less definition than a 4k which obviously is less  than an 8k or 12k (pixels x square inches).

As far as the images are concerned, no, that depends on the definition with which you render them, so the more you enlarge, the more grainy the image

Thanks Marco, so while the quality of vector images isn't affected by dots per inch, 3d prints are affected by the resolution of the machine

but not the quality (DPI) of the CAD image.  ?

Mike,

CAD is not image based. The CAD model can be scaled. The model is then exported in an STL file which is still a model format. For printing, the model is imported into a SLICING program which is informed about what printer is being used, and the different layer images are generated. If the part is too small for the resolution of the printer, detail can be lost. I guess it's possible to create the original model at too large a size so that when it is reduced for export, detail can be lost too.

Edited by denders

• 1 month later...