Border Model BF004 1/35 Spitfire

LSP_Kevin

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I thru IX

7EUXuRO.gif

just a note

In the image, two bars are seen on the upper surface of the wing on the Mk Vs, right above the wheel well. These were made later for reinforcement purposes. Tamiya made the same mistake years ago with the 1/48 Mk Vb kit. I think these bars were present in the spitfire they referenced in the museum.

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I thru IX

7EUXuRO.gif

Nice inclusion Mike, I haven't seen that illustration before. The only thing missing is the underside view showing the different radiators/oil cooler layouts.

TRF

I liked the Border FW-190A from what I've seen here and Quang's work in progress build[ very nice work I might add]. Their CADS and sprue shots for the Kate look real good , but from what I can gather ,they didn't really do their homework on the Spit. I'll get the Kate and I MIGHT spring for the FW[ scale doesn't bother me]. I'm getting into the early spitfire market so I'll give this one a pass and go with the Kotare.   

The horizontal stabs look to be ribbed like they're fabric covered [ surely not]. I'm no whizz bang on spitfires but IF that's the case , that ain't right, someone else please take a look and tell me I'm seeing things. Saw a build up of their Merlin,  I'm not impressed at all! T6here's like these big blocky things that the exhaust stacks mount to[?]

19 hours ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

just a note

In the image, two bars are seen on the upper surface of the wing on the Mk Vs, right above the wheel well. These were made later for reinforcement purposes. Tamiya made the same mistake years ago with the 1/48 Mk Vb kit. I think these bars were present in the spitfire they referenced in the museum.

Hi Tolga, from my reading, the reinforcement strakes were  applied to strengthen the wing just above the wheel opening underneath.

It was done as a field mod and at MU level if the wing was damaged. Some earlier marks had them too. In late MkVcs they were moved

to internal. I think they were included in the animation because they 'could' have been there as a retro-fit.

7 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

The horizontal stabs look to be ribbed like they're fabric covered [ surely not]. I'm no whizz bang on spitfires but IF that's the case , that ain't right, someone else please take a look and tell me I'm seeing things. Saw a build up of their Merlin,  I'm not impressed at all! T6here's like these big blocky things that the exhaust stacks mount to[?]

I see the rudder and elevators as ribbed, but not the stabs themselves.

Finally had a good look at the sprues posted at the start of this thread. A couple of things that jar with me:

1. Raised panels on the upper and lower wings - I haven’t seen this on any Spitfire

2. Recessed rivets on the rear fuselage - some should be raised for this Mark

3. Cockpit floor - there was NO cockpit floor in the Spitfire!

4. Looks like recessed stitching on the rudder? Should be raised, maybe a photo distortion?

5. Raised dzus fasteners on cowling - should be flush or near flush

6. Raised panels/details on the cowling and ailerons - surfaces should be flush

7. No profiling of entry and exit into radiators

This is based on what I can see from pictures in the post, and I may have missed other issues, with reservation that these may not be actual production sprues - ? Also, the post of the sprues may not show other issues or perhaps misrepresents the product?

If you are in to 1/35 scale, it is the only one for you. It looks to be pitched at the AFV market so will probably look ok in a diorama. Given the excellence of the Kotare kits, I think I’ll wait for them.

4 hours ago, quang said:

There we go again.:coolio: You got the Kotare, so why bother with the Border?

The Kotare kit is not a Mk.V and this means numerous details are different.

Border is not really consistent with regard to the accuracy of their kits and I'm considering here the AFV kits I have. Some are very good whereas others are so so ... It looks we have the same situation with their plane kits. Too bad for the guys interested in 1/35 planes.

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

The Kotare kit is not a Mk.V and this means numerous details are different.

I’m well aware that the Border is a different mark from the Kotare.

What I meant is this: if I were persuaded that Kotare produces the best Spitfire kit around, why don’t I wait until they release the variant I’m looking for instead of wasting my time discussing another brand and more over another scale? 
Ah… but it’s only old grumpy me. ;)

15 minutes ago, quang said:

I’m well aware that the Border is a different mark from the Kotare.

What I meant is this: if I were persuaded that Kotare produces the best Spitfire kit around, why don’t I wait until they release the variant I’m looking for instead of wasting my time discussing another brand and more over another scale? 
Ah… but it’s only old grumpy me. ;)

You know modellers. We want the mark we are interested in now or at least 'soon', not a future release with an hypothetical date of availability! :D