EAA fatalities

• LSP_K2 changed the title to EAA fatalities

They also lost a T-6 with both crew the same day.  Appeared from ADS-B data that it was over Lake Winnebago when airspeed started falling off and it eventually rolled over and went straight in.  EAA over the years has become masters at minimizing coverage of accidents/incidents during the show with some years being better than others.  For those who might be interested, seems Russian hardware dominated the warbird scene this year, with three MiG-17s, a MiG-29 and a MiG-23 flying in for demos.  Everything else seemed to be a repeat for previous years.  Both Thunderbird and Bonnie flew demos - Bonnie’s was maybe a little more hardcore than I would have liked for an airframe that rare.  

16 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

The MiG-23 belongs to my buddy Dan.

P

Dan is a lucky guy but I cannot imagine the expense.  I noted with interest that a number of wives/girlfriends were riding backseat in warbirds this year, including in the MiG-29.  There was a time there that the warbird community was an exclusive club open only to zipper suited sky gods.  Good to see it shifting to include our better halves as well.

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Dan is a lucky guy but I cannot imagine the expense.  I noted with interest that a number of wives/girlfriends were riding backseat in warbirds this year, including in the MiG-29.  There was a time there that the warbird community was an exclusive club open only to zipper suited sky gods.  Good to see it shifting to include our better halves as well.

Dan owns 12 MiG-23’s, an L-39, and a TS-11.

I have flown so many “normal” people in the L-39. It is one of my favorite things to do. As warbird pilots, We tend to forget how special it is. I am always reminded of that fact when I fly someone who is experiencing it for the first time. It’s pretty cool.

P

I just checked the latest news on this unfortunate incident.  If the reports are accurate everyone is OK and there are no casualties on the ground.

I hope your mate is OK @Pete Fleischmann

https://www.wtol.com/article/news/local/mig-23-jet-crashes-at-air-show-outside-of-detroit/512-f405d122-ed42-4730-b1b0-841b42bba8c1

Really fortunate that nobody on the ground was hit - that thing could have gone anywhere..

Glad your buddy is ok @Pete Fleischmann

Don´t know why but it instantly made me think of the runaway MiG-23 that flew all across western europe without a pilot and ended up chrashing into a farm house in Belgium back in 1989.. Unfortunately that chrash killed one person on the ground

/Niels

I noted with interest how long it took the front seater’s chute to deploy.  Felt like days instead of fractions of a second and even then the canopy looked a little wonky once it opened.  Happy for all that everything worked as advertised.  Biggest thing is no injuries on the ground and minimal property damage, but I’m guessing he’ll be looking for a new insurance company.  Wonder if these two guys are the only Western pilots to have punched out of a Flogger?  Oh, and there are some colossally ignorant comments accompanying the video on YouTube. I am forever amazed at how uninformed people can be and how many Ace of The Base guys live in their mom’s basement.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:51 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hey OBG-

yep. I had to ignore a lot of moronic comments after my gear-up landing.

This will be exponentially worse for Dan.

P

Hey Mr Pete - no matter the cause I'm glad your friend and his backseater are ok !!! For me personally if I had been in the backseat then it would have been a blessing to land in the lake - to flush out my flight suit... Mike