Correcting the old Revell 1/32 P-51B Mustang model kit - options please......

Caravellarella

Dear Boys & Girls, I'm seeking advice on correcting the upper engine cowling (cross-section) on the old Revell 1/32 P-51B Mustang model kit please. I have 3 or 4 copies of this kit in my stash; I like the accuracy of the kit apart from the upper engine cowling. I've made some progress in correcting the rear wall of the undercarriage bays, but I'm wondering what to do about the kit's nose. Would it be feasible to graft the upper engine cowling from the (otherwise) inaccurate Trumpeter 1/32 kit onto the old Revell 1/32 kit? Otherwise, would inserting a plasticard wedge into the top of the old Revell 1/32 kit's nose work to widen it?

Terry (Caravellarella)

Most of the corrections I've seen done to this kit either rebuild the entire nose area from scratch, or graft on the nose from the Hasegawa kit. There are some threads in the Works in Progress section of the forums that are well worth checking out.

Kev

If you are desperate, use the nose from the Revell -51D. Also another approach use the entire fuselage from the D, cut off the canopy/ fuselage section from the B and graft it onto D fuselage. Wings need to be modified. There are as you can see, a multitude of options.  Or, you can wait for a new B to be issued- good luck on that one<_<:wacko::blink:

I'd be very surprised and shocked if a new B/C doesn't come out fairly soon . i know we've been waiting a while but I feel  it's gonna happen. I'm not much of a Mustang fan but a B/C I can go with for sure. It's going to take a lot of work to get that old Revell kit up to speed , but go for it nothing ventured nothing gained. Keep us all posted on your progress[ ya got more guts than I do]

There is a guy who sells on eBay who did some resin conversions for the REVELL P51 B. He has a complete kit and other parts. Lastly, one of our LSP supporters Aeorcraft Models makes a clear resin windscreen and canopy conversions for the REVELL kit. Try doing a search on eBay for 1/32 P-51 and I’m sure it will be listed .

Good luck,

Jim

I have a Revell P-51B topic in the Works in Progress section (P-51C NX1202, Paul Mantz 1947).  Got as far as correcting the gearbay, upper cowl and spinner. Can't give you the link now, because I don't know how to do that with my phone. 

Still waiting for Drawdecal to release the Paul Mantz decals that they got from Pegasus.

Edited by Pascal

On 5/29/2023 at 8:46 PM, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

I'd be very surprised and shocked if a new B/C doesn't come out fairly soon . i know we've been waiting a while but I feel  it's gonna happen. I'm not much of a Mustang fan but a B/C I can go with for sure. It's going to take a lot of work to get that old Revell kit up to speed , but go for it nothing ventured nothing gained. Keep us all posted on your progress[ ya got more guts than I do]

We all keep saying this about a new B/C variant “coming out soon”… and many of us have taunted the cosmos with our conversions WIP etc. I have a B in progress using the Alison Mustang kit.  So far nothing is working. Dang!

On 5/31/2023 at 7:54 AM, Pascal said:

I have a Revell P-51B topic in the Works in Progress section (P-51C NX1202, Paul Mantz 1947).  Got as far as correcting the gearbay, upper cowl and spinner. Can't give you the link now, because I don't know how to do that with my phone. 

Still waiting for Drawdecal to release the Paul Mantz decals that they got from Pegasus.

Cool, I will definitely check that out.

That airframe has a fascinating history, having passed thru the hands of several owners over the years. I have a set of Draw Decals for "The Houstonian" in my stash awaiting the day that we finally have a truly worthy large scale P-51B/C. 

24P511473.png