F4U-1D Corsair - Tamiya

denders

After visiting with my brother during our recent trip, I got the idea to build this and give to him. He likes the Corsair.

DpJJ6F.jpg

I'm going to build it pretty much out of the box and see if I can take it to him when we go to NATS. I'm thinking that he'll like it pretty much 'clean'. I was thinking that I would do one of the paint schemes included in the kit, although I might make masks to paint the markings. We'll see how it goes.

3 hours ago, Woody V said:

Such a pleasure not to have to fight a kit into submission.

Oh I could go on and on.....   Yes - a -D for a change!  After all, as the big one progressed, it was -D Corsairs that really did alot of the damage.  Waaay more capable aircraft than the -1 and -1A.  Looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm slowly making progress. Still working on the Barracudacals cockpit stencil decals, just the right-side console to go.

4YEbUJ.jpg

I had wires glued to the back of the wireway. But in the process of bending the first one and putting it in place at the cylinder head I managed to break it loose from the wireway. Then in fixing that wire I managed to break two more loose. :BANGHEAD2:  :blowup: Soooo, I removed them all. I'm sure that I can work out re-doing the ones on the front of the front cylinders, but I haven't worked out the rest of the wires. :(

4 hours ago, denders said:

I had wires glued to the back of the wireway. But in the process of bending the first one and putting it in place at the cylinder head I managed to break it loose from the wireway.

Try sanding the detail off the back of the wire way to give you more contact area. And be liberal with gel superglue.

Oh, and you don't need this much wire...:rolleyes:

173510963.jpg

Thanks Woody, I actually tried that. I had looked at your build and used your suggestion. At this point it's kinda too late since the wireway is glued in place. I think the copper wire I used was too stiff. I need to find something of the correct diameter but a little more flexible. I also used your suggestion for the Sharpie on the back of the decal paper for the Cockpit Stencils too. That worked out well. Where it's going, it probably doesn't matter whether I have wires shown or not, but I'm going to at least place the front wires on the front cylinders. I might be able to get the front wires of the rear cylinders too. I'll at least make it look 'busier'.  I'll try again on the next Corsair build. There's a Birdcage in the stash.

14 hours ago, denders said:

Where it's going, it probably doesn't matter whether I have wires shown or not, but I'm going to at least place the front wires on the front cylinders. I might be able to get the front wires of the rear cylinders too. 

Same thing I wound up doing.