Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........March 2024. All done

geedubelyer

This code colour question has me somewhat confused. 

Having read the article I'm all ready to go with medium sea grey but,......the replica of Johnny Johnson's aircraft outside the BBMF hangar at RAF Coningsby has sky codes. :hmmm:

Also, Googling Spitfire brings up scores of modern warbirds with sky codes........:blink:

Could it have been unit choice?

I'm not quite sure which to plump for. 

I wouldn't agonise about it too much Guy; since the squadron codes were applied at squadron level I'm sure there was lots of variation depending on what was in the stores.  If it's any use, I used MSG on my recent Hurricane build....it looks ok to my eye.

Thanks Max. 

On closer inspection of lots of warbird images the ones with dark green/dark earth cammo appear to have grey codes, the dark green/ocean grey use sky or similar.

Whilst I would prefer a reasonable stab at accuracy, apart from folk here on the forums I am likely to be the only one looking at this model. :D

Time to apply the masks. :coolio:

14 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Whilst I would prefer a reasonable stab at accuracy, apart from folk here on the forums I am likely to be the only one looking at this model. :D

That's 100% my standpoint Guy....if I'm satisfied with my work, that's all that matters.

48 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

32 minutes ago, mozart said:

That's 100% my standpoint Guy....if I'm satisfied with my work, that's all that matters.

Shame, as that is pretty much how my models end up as well.

Hence why I enter the occasional contest with them, not to win any adulation, prizes or awards, but to have someone other than myself see them.

My wife knows the effort I put into my models, and she appreciates a lot of them, but most of the aviation models sit with only me to admire and look at.

She has her identity....

PXL-20240224-213641781-2.jpg

PXL-20240224-213842219-2.jpg

The masks worked beautifully Max. Thank you again sir.:punk:

As you can see, I plumped for sky for the codes on this occasion. 

I believe that leaves me with one or two more stencils to complete the colouring in (unless I decide to add the stencils on the prop blades after all). 

Perhaps the next step will be the fun bit.......weathering ^_^

Cheers.

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........25th Feb, 2024. Weathering commences

My impatience has got the best of me again and I hard to start the weathering process. :D

This is likely to be a multi level procedure and my thinking is to work outward from the skin. 

To begin with I've chipped and worn the paint at the wing roots. 

PXL-20240225-131324792.jpg

This is the highest wear area as far as I can make out.

PXL-20240225-131356426-2.jpg

The starboard side also exhibits wear but to a marginally lesser extent. 

PXL-20240225-131427296.jpg

I achieved this using a combination of stippling with an old toothbrush moistened with water and gentle sanding with a micro mesh pad. 

Any and all feedback is welcome as are any alternative techniques. 

Cheers 

39 minutes ago, JayW said:

Wow Guy - very convincing chipping so far.  I cannot remember - did you apply a layer of future between silver and topcoat?  You must have.

Thanks Jay. 

No. The silver was Tamiya rattle can and the top coats are water based acrylic. 

I applied hairspray over the silver then the colours on top of that. 

I'm now wondering whether I'd have got a better result without the hairspray.:hmmm:

The colours are almost too easy to remove. 

Exhaust stains. 

Quite a challenging effect to get looking right. -_-

On a war weary bird there's likely to be lots of exhaust residue along the sides of the aircraft. 

Getting the colour correct is equally challenging. 

I'd appreciate any feedback regarding my attempts folks if you feel like it. 

I started by airbrushing a light tan in a gentle arc. 

PXL-20240227-201415472-3.jpg

PXL-20240227-201149093-2.jpg

I have seen some images with the sides of the airframe caked in crud but I'm not confident I could achieve that effect convincingly. (This more restrained option isn't much easier).

To create heavier soiling I've used dry pastels which are a poor man's weathering powders. 

PXL-20240227-212813644.jpg

PXL-20240227-212657984.jpg

This task was conducted in artificial light so I shall have a look in natural light before I decide whether any further adjustment is necessary. 

I am open to any criticism and if you can support your critique with images so much the better. 

Cheers 

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........27th Feb, 2024. Exhaust stains

Thanks Andy, much appreciated. 

I laid down a coat of Tamiya rattle can silver followed by hairspray before using Mission Models acrylics. I let the colours bake for at least 24hrs before weathering the finish. 

On this occasion the top coat was actually too easy to remove and if I were to repeat this technique I'd try it without the hairspray. 

I had to spray the area where I wanted to add the exhaust stains with matt varnish to protect it otherwise I'd have been removing even more colour as I  manipulated the pastels.

The sprayed arc of initial exhaust colour was from a weathering set by Lifecolour Tensocrom. I've had them ages and I used the burnt brown. The paler shade over the burnt brown was mixed using some Citadel acrylics. 

The streaked effects are dry pastels manipulated using moist brushes and cotton swabs. 

When I've seen it in the daylight I can decide whether I need to go further 

HTH