Are we doing this? Second LSP as an Adult—Tamiya F4U-1A? Throttle up for detail 7/7/23

Citadelgrad

No hijack worries.   I am learning as i go.  Tips and info always welcome. 

tonight i played with MRP dark dull green and zinc chromate, i think instead of adding ZC to the DDG, i will try adding DDG to ZC and see if i can get an approximation.   These photos are after ddg was the base and zc was added.  A LOT of zc. 
UNJLIN.jpg

Here you can see the difference in hues between my mix and the Mission interior green.

ogbUAF.jpg

Heres the main panel with a coat of mrp black, man, that goes down like a dream.  

Ov146z.jpg

more later. 

Bill, if you have mrp zcy and black, slowly start mixing them, put black into the zcy, to get the interior Green you like. This is how they do it at first hand, I think, to get the tinted zinc chromate Green, later known as interior Green. Give it a try I think you will get it!! 

John 

Edited by zaxos345

1 hour ago, Citadelgrad said:

No hijack worries.   I am learning as i go.  Tips and info always welcome. 

tonight i played with MRP dark dull green and zinc chromate, i think instead of adding ZC to the DDG, i will try adding DDG to ZC and see if i can get an approximation.   These photos are after ddg was the base and zc was added.  A LOT of zc. 
UNJLIN.jpg

Here you can see the difference in hues between my mix and the Mission interior green.

ogbUAF.jpg

Heres the main panel with a coat of mrp black, man, that goes down like a dream.  

Ov146z.jpg

more later. 

And if you use mrp 255 black wwii night camo... You will rememper me:rolleyes:

Edited by zaxos345

11 hours ago, chrish said:

I don’t usually write to manufacturers to gripe but I did with their product. 
To be safe and not tempted to try it again, I discarded all their products in my stocks and went back to Tamiya paints 

that’s just one man’s experience, yours may be better.

I had a brief infatuation with MM paints, but it didn't last long after I discovered some colors remained water-soluble days after application and some colors formed crystalline bits that clogged my airbrush. Then of course there's this Polyester (?) additive which the instructions state to add 2 to 20 drops (paraphrasing here) but not too much. HUH?

I wrote to the owner and was told there's nothing wrong with the paints and said it was my fault. Not wanting engage in a chemistry experiment just to paint my model, I sold the whole lot on Ebay, switched to lacquer and never looked back. 

10 hours ago, Woody V said:

I had a brief infatuation with MM paints, but it didn't last long after I discovered some colors remained water-soluble days after application and some colors formed crystalline bits that clogged my airbrush. Then of course there's this Polyester (?) additive which the instructions state to add 2 to 20 drops (paraphrasing here) but not too much. HUH?

I wrote to the owner and was told there's nothing wrong with the paints and said it was my fault. Not wanting engage in a chemistry experiment just to paint my model, I sold the whole lot on Ebay, switched to lacquer and never looked back. 

You are responsible for my current affair with MRP, I LOVE the way lacquer goes down.  If I can figure out the gloss, I will be a happy man. 

Rainy weather locally this weekend.  Im carefully painting the basic cockpit colors, playing with my own interior green per hints above, and trying to get the black/green demarcations perfect before i strap on the opti visors and go for the switches, buttons, red covers, breakers, etc. 

my plan is to paint all the eventually red areas with white first so the red “pops”.

i plan to have the true toggle switches silver, the breakers red, and maybe some grey for the non toggle switches, for some variety.  

hopefully i will start some detail painting this weekend. Taking my time on this one and enjoying the ride. 

Starting to get some color on the breakers.  These were all prepped with a white undercoat.  It still needs some touch up, probably at least one more coat of red.   Then i will switch to the silver toggle switches and buttons. 

yHcc1N.jpg

k7r6aL.jpg

i plan to keep tweaking this until i can say i can't do better.  This kit deserves maximum effort. 

Edited by Citadelgrad

• 1 month later...

Amon other developments, our daughter is packed up and shipped off to studY abroad this semester, and she is loving it.   That and waiting on some MRP interior green delayed this build.  

now that i am back at the bench, a dilemma has reared its head.  I found a wonderful color photo of a cockpit in Dana Bells Corsair Cockpits.  Its not a -1a, is a D, but the foot troughs appear to be black, possibly a non skid surface.   

is this accurate?

taUFiA.jpg

proof i am making small progress

The wash is wet and looks overdone.  I am thinking about repainting this part anyway, so i hit it with a dark wash.  
PxArtc.jpg

Edited by Citadelgrad

1 hour ago, Citadelgrad said:

I found a wonderful color photo of a cockpit in Dana Bells Corsair Cockpits.  Its not a -1a, is a D, but the foot troughs appear to be black, possibly a non skid surface.   

Yeah i have that book - looks OD green to me though.  There is black all over the place in that picture to compare to.

5 minutes ago, JayW said:

Yeah i have that book - looks OD green to me though.  There is black all over the place in that picture to compare to.

But definitely not interior green, though, right?  Way darker than the seat and the metal right next to it.  Its too consistent to just be in shadow. 

Edited by Citadelgrad