Well has anyone got one yet.... That is the new 1/24 scale Airfix Spitfire IX

jbrennan

Any thoughts, doubts, elations - Personally a big hats off to Airfix for producing what looks like a truly well researched and thoughtfully manufactured kit.   

Very much looking forward to building it. Hopefully converting it to an E winged LFIX of 165 SQN summer 1946 :D.

6 hours ago, jbrennan said:

Any thoughts, doubts, elations - Personally a big hats off to Airfix for producing what looks like a truly well researched and thoughtfully manufactured kit.   

Very much looking forward to building it. Hopefully converting it to an E winged LFIX of 165 SQN summer 1946 :D.

Having received one of the three I ordered! I can report it is a lovely kit - certainly to look at on the sprues…

Here’s hoping it continues to be when I start building!

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Well has anyone got one yet.... That is the new 1/24 scale Airfix Spitfire IX
8 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I’ve got one. I like it enough to unload my Tamiya Mk IX that’s in the stash-

P

Wow Pete, that says alot about the Airfix kit as Tamiya’s Mk IX has always been considered the benchmark since it’s release. Good to hear. 

Cheers.

12 hours ago, jbrennan said:

3 ! my friend that is enthusiastic. You will have noticed the much improved quality of plastic, non of that pale grey / blue soft stuff of late. Dare I say on par with Tamiya.

May I enquire what would be your subjects.

Rgrds

jon 

My current thinking is that I want one early British, one late British and one 'exotic' - either the French or American version - I haven't decided which yet!

The options in the box do give you a good choice - I'll probably avoid 'the JE-J' iteration of EN398 and do the earlier version of the aircraft. I definitely intend to do the box cover version as I've always liked that scheme.

..Or all three could sit in the stash like the three 1/24 Typhoons I bought!

6 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Wow Pete, that says alot about the Airfix kit as Tamiya’s Mk IX has always been considered the benchmark since it’s release. Good to hear. 

Cheers.

I know, right?

I’ve gotta say, the Airfix kit is gorgeous. I’ll likely only build one Spit in my life ever. The Mk IX is my favorite; and I like “plus” size models :rolleyes:

more to love :ninja:

2 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

~snip~.......I’ll likely only build one Spit in my life ever..........~snip~

And that my friend is something I’m eager to see. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

I did the very same thing and will follow on in doing the same should a Mark VIII or Mark XVI appear from Airfix. 

I strongly believe the MkVIII will be the next release.

A Mk XVI? Possibly? It’s what Tamiya did. The break down that Airfix have adopted would allow provision for a new fuselage sprue on it’s own. Clear parts could be catered for on another separate sprue. What else would be required?

What about the “e” wing? How easy would that be to do with the current kits components? Three new sprues? Two wing halves and another for the cannon and covers?:hmmm:

We’ll just have to wait and see ^_^

59 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

A Mk XVI? Possibly? It’s what Tamiya did. The break down that Airfix have adopted would allow provision for a new fuselage sprue on it’s own. Clear parts could be catered for on another separate sprue. What else would be required?

What about the “e” wing? How easy would that be to do with the current kits components? Three new sprues? Two wing halves and another for the cannon and covers?:hmmm:

I don’t know how easy it would be for Airfix to do, I just picked those Marks as they are the Tamiya ones I have in the stash. If Airfix do any new 1/24 Aircraft kits at all I’ll be very likely to pick them’ up as I’m really quite impressed by what I’m seeing in the box and from the few builds so far of the Mk.IX. Truth be told I’ll be ordering a couple more of them in the New Year for some different markings.

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

As mentioned I plan on doing an E wing build,  hopefully being able to accommodate the 'Buchan' E- wing conversion. Yes the breakdown of parts does suggest a MK VIII or even maybe a VII at some point. Airfix have stated they will not be doing an E wing option, but alas things can change. Espon of Buchan models has said he will be doing a MKXVI low back conversion for it. I had also heard he was considering a MK 14 conversion but that of course could be conjecture. I can understand people preferring this over the Tamiya kit, its cheaper, bigger, just as nicely done though not over engineered and looks as though the closed cowling option which I will doing has been well thought out and easer to do - Jury out until built of course. 

Ah its all happening folks.

Rgrds Jon

7 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

A Mk XVI? Possibly?

I asked Airfix on Twitter after the sprues were first shown and they said no. Hopefully they were just lying!

5 hours ago, jbrennan said:

As mentioned I plan on doing an E wing build,  hopefully being able to accommodate the 'Buchan' E- wing conversion.

To help with searching for the product: it's spelled Buchon.