Harrier GR.5 A&AEE Boscombe Down 1988

Stevepd

Hi all this is my latest build having finished it at the weekend. It’s the Trumpeter GR.7 kit and modified to a GR.5 with an adjusted instrument panel and a new nose from Miliput. The camera pods casings are made from the kit weapons by cutting and extending them to the correct length of CBLS2000 which were the base for the camera pods. The cameras and mounts were scratch built using plasticard and 0.2mm lead wire. The engine face has a clear disk which I roughed up to give the impression of engine running, including all the blow in doors open. This particular colour scheme is one of the first 3 which was then additionally painted blue and white for rough ground trials at Boscombe. This meant that it got plastered in earth and I’ve got reference photos but cannot share them. So for the first time I’ve done this and watched a few videos on YouTube from the Armour modellers, I sprayed away with light coats and then with dried out garden earth added to the paint, I dabbed it on with a brush. The black n white squares on the nose are one decal but the larger item on the fin is 2 black & 2 white positioned together. If you look at the fin one checker is over the formation strip and the other side has the strip going through the checker. This actually on the real thing. 

As usual my photography is not the best and it looks way better in the plastic as such. Thanks for looking.

5152E322-62BA-4BB9-AADA-942B77BA3B02

ED6D4B22-BB75-4E78-AF8D-2E8F72A0E10B 3CBF50A8-C598-4F1C-94CB-61ED2AE05E62 3CBF50A8-C598-4F1C-94CB-61ED2AE05E62 C7CEAD73-62C3-4189-A380-79766CEE911E B127B84D-B622-4D1A-BF5A-40FADBC76D22 22E8DCC0-C5D8-41C8-A609-CF8C7A1C97A9 09B80E9E-C289-4642-BF97-12BACFD91996 B46F2EB0-3F47-45DD-9B5A-DA022B74C86F EF31FFBB-95BA-4206-96C6-7E7711028EF2 2FBEEFF4-6C00-4E1C-B4FC-B2249F49F79C B7F11D42-10A2-4780-884B-14C48483D79F 930C3A1D-8EBB-4D6B-A79F-871F7E9CE43A DB47C058-4838-40DA-B5AD-4F7952CAB4B1 6D50C3BC-303B-44A1-B05F-555BC0836B07 B427243A-06BC-403F-B742-BE1C8327BA64

Steve.

Edited by Stevepd

That’s a really cool subject and a neat conversion. 

I’m surprised she could take off carrying all of that extra weight :D

The weathering looks superb, well done. 

One teensy, tiny detail that didn’t look quite as tidy on my tablet as everything else is the pilot’s eyes. Not meant as a criticism, simply observational feedback.

There are a few articles on here that discuss figure painting, in particular the eyes in this scale. Well worth having a read as figure painting is an art in itself.

The bright orange flying suit gives a great pop of colour and was a good decision that brings even more interest to an already super model. 

The spinning engine fan looks extremely convincing too. Nice one :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your Harrier. She’s a treat to see.

Cheers.

35 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

That’s a really cool subject and a neat conversion. 

I’m surprised she could take off carrying all of that extra weight :D

The weathering looks superb, well done. 

One teensy, tiny detail that didn’t look quite as tidy on my tablet as everything else is the pilot’s eyes. Not meant as a criticism, simply observational feedback.

There are a few articles on here that discuss figure painting, in particular the eyes in this scale. Well worth having a read as figure painting is an art in itself.

The bright orange flying suit gives a great pop of colour and was a good decision that brings even more interest to an already super model. 

The spinning engine fan looks extremely convincing too. Nice one :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your Harrier. She’s a treat to see.

Cheers.

Hey no problem at all and always an open door to feedback. His eye balls are white with the 2 black dots but I agree it is a little unrefined, giving the near death expression:D. I’ve just boiled the kettle so I’ll have a quick search as I am able to redo it.

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Very well built with the weathering giving the Harrier the Dirty look about it.

:wicked:

Your pilot reminds ME of someone who is astonished to be in the cockpit !!

But not death !!

I think your model is AWESOME. 

:wow:   :clap2:

If Hammer House did pilots…..(Christopher Lee reference:tumble:)

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cicciuzzo said:

dirty underneath and clean above, is this really the real aircraft? Anyways, excellent creation  :D

If anyone is an expert on Boscombe Down aircraft it's @Stevepd and given that fact, plus what I know of the Harrier,  I think it's entirely plausible.

Great work Steve.  :goodjob:

20 hours ago, Cicciuzzo said:

dirty underneath and clean above, is this really the real aircraft? Anyways, excellent creation  :D

14 hours ago, MikeC said:

If anyone is an expert on Boscombe Down aircraft it's @Stevepd and given that fact, plus what I know of the Harrier,  I think it's entirely plausible.

Great work Steve.  :goodjob:

Hi folks, yes this is exactly as the photos (can’t get a better reference) I have of the trial. I have copies of the photos and trial report but have been asked not to publish them.

Cheers MC, I grew up next to BD which probably sewed the aviation interest, so naturally became my special interest. I do find that I build better BD models than other subjects. I could go on, but I won’t bore you all.