Trumpeter T-72B1

TimW

With Kontakt-1 ERA!   This is way out of my normal lane, but I decided what the hey.

Individual tracks...all 95 of them (per side).  This will be a Cold War vehicle, from 15th Guards Tank Division, Soviet Central Group of Forces (in Czechoslovakia.

More to come.  I have been enjoying this project.

HngF51D.jpg

qYz9dLd.jpg

To confirm, no interior--I kludged up some optics so that it won't look so empty in the turret (I have two 1/16 figures from MAIM to crew this beast).

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-maim-maim16035-1:16-soviet-t-72-tank-commander-vol-1-pointing-for-trumpeter-kit-00924

They have two versions of the TC--one pointing, one not.  A loader and a driver bust but I decided not to include him since he'd be getting whacked by the gun tube al the time.

So the tracks--

First I simply sprayed them black with some rattle can Rustoleum black paint.   Then I "misted" them with Rustoleum light brown and some maroon color from Tamiya (both rattle cans).   Once everything dried, I zapped it with Matte Coat.   Then a wash of Burnt Sienna oil paint (thank you, Bob Ross).   Once that dried, I did another wash with some Lifecolor light brown (almost yellowish).   Then some dry-brushing with Vallejo Khaki and some metal wear and tear on the track teeth with some of my dwindling supply of Model Master metalizer paints (I think Steel was the color).

More matt coat once it was all dry.  I still have to do some touch ups and I also have some AK Dried Mud splatter effects I'll be adding shortly.

I'd never done treads this way before--usually I'd airbrush or brush paint, but there were so damn many of them (190 individual track links...192 if you count the two spares on the aft end of the tank.   But it worked out much better than I thought it would.

Cheers,

Tim W.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And calling it done--it was a mostly fun build.  Nothing too complex, although there were some Trumpeter "WTFs" with some of the assemblies (especially getting the upper hull attached to the lower hull.

Had a lot of fun painting and weathering and the "MAIM" crew figures were also nice to work with, though I wouldn't have minded some goggles for the intrepid TC and his loader.  Was going to include the driver, but he'd keep getting whacked on the head by the main gun, so I buttoned him up.

Enjoy!

1WQbpkM.jpg

0QpbAxs.jpg

2 hours ago, Memphis said:

Congratulations! This is great work!

Many thanks!

I've only built a couple of 1/16 armor subjects--they can be a lot of fun!

Cheers,

Tim W.